Pearson OAE

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by tiki7719, Aug 29, 2014.

1. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 29, 2014

My school switched from Praxis to Pearson for exams.

I am having trouble finding study materials besides what can be purchased from the Pearson website. My school does not have much since they just switched.

I need to take the Sp. Ed., 2 reading exams, and the classroom content.

Has anyone taken these? Any tips?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 29, 2014

For reading, try looking for materials for California's RICA exam: it has fewer multiple choice questions and includes a constructed-response case study of up to 600 words that OAE Reading doesn't, and it's given in one chunk rather than in two subtests, but RICA's other five constructed responses are pretty comparable to the four constructed responses on OAE Reading, and it too takes a total of four hours. Look for discussions of reading tests in the Other Tests subforum.

The Special Education test has 150 multiple choice questions in three hours: plan on taking a restroom break during testing. Judging from the information on the OAE Web site, it's much more a pedagogy exam than a subject-matter exam. The online study guide goes into a fair bit of detail about the topics covered, so you could probably use a good special ed textbook and Google terms and concepts. I don't know offhand of another state's test that's quite comparable.

Which subject-matter exam do you need?