Pearson OAE v. Praxis

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by tiki7719, Apr 8, 2014.

1. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Apr 8, 2014

Hi Everyone!

After a few setbacks, I'm finally back in my journey to earning my Master's.

However, the exams have switched from Praxis to Pearson.

Any insight as to Pearson and how it may differ from Praxis?

Thank you!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 8, 2014

The differences among teacher basic skills tests are primarily in detail rather than matters of substance. Some states test somewhat more advanced math than others; some states' writing test includes sentence-correction questions where others simply pose one or two writing tasks. If you got a reasonable score on SAT or ACT, you should do fine.

4. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Apr 9, 2014

Thank you for your insight.

Unfortunately, I haven't taken any type of standardized test since the Proficiency exams back in 98/99.

Due to attending community college then transferring to a 4 year college, I did not have to take any type of ACT/SAT exams.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 9, 2014

I don't know what the "Proficiency" exams are, but if they were how one tested into or out of remedial math or English classes, they're fairly like the test you're facing.

What is it that has you most concerned here?

6. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Apr 11, 2014

Proficiency exams are the exams I took that are equivalent to tests given to high schoolers that are needed to pass in order to graduate.

Just the test in general scares me. I have test anxiety and as much as I study, I still find a way to freeze.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 11, 2014

One approach to test anxiety is to imagine as vividly as possible that it's not YOU taking the test, but someone else you're fond of whose test anxiety is really bad; you're there as mentor to make sure that person doesn't go off the rails. The idea is to engage one's teacherly helpfulness on someone else's behalf, because that tends to trump one's terror.