Peace Rose/Peace Corner

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by MzMooreTeaches, Jul 11, 2010.

1. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 11, 2010

So I have been doing tons of reading as well as finding things that correspond with the Montessori approach. My principal is setting me up with a mentor and we're suppose to meet soon... but during the meantime I have been putting things together on my own, so i can bring it along when I meet my mentor. ( I Digress...)

I came across the Peace Rose/Peace Corner Idea and absolutely love it and will incorporate it into my classroom. DO any of you ladies use it and if so how do you introduce it? How do you get the kids in the routine of using the peace corner?

Thanks for all your speedy responses and thoughtful responses!!

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

I have a big circle taped to the floor. Next to it on the shelf I have a vase with a silk Gerber Daisy in it. My children take the gerber daisy and hold it in their hands, sit in the circle on the floor, then whoever is holding the daisy is the person who talks.

Most of the time my children have no problem doing it this way.

4. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 11, 2010

Thanks Tracy. I went to my Montessori Journey and she had a great blog on how she used it in her room. Very similar to yours.

I have a fountain with rocks/running water. I was thinking to put that over there with some emotion cards to get the children thinking about how they are feeling as well. But perhaps in the beginning of the school year I need to keep it simple.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

The fountain sounds great. I like the sound of running water and think it's very calming for some kids.

I would keep the emotions stuff off of the shelf for now and have a lesson on it later. As the year progresses, you can share them and talk about what they mean, things like that. It becomes very helpful as the year progresses.

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

Remember.......3 yr olds don't have the vocabulary yet for expressing themselves. You'll have to teach them and give them the words to say to their friend, like, "I don't like it when you hit me. Please touch me gently."

7. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 11, 2010

Thanks Tracy, very true. I'm in a public school and I'm thinking it will be 4-6yrs olds only because of the age requirement for prek. I could be wrong but I will find out for sure in a few days.

8. HoneyNBenNKids

HoneyNBenNKids Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

We have a peace corner. We have a colorwheel activity I dl from somewhere that lets you place emotions based on how you see them (I think this is a good activity as it helps you understand where a kid is coming from.) My son has SPD and is a bit Auspie like and this is great for him. My youngest is almost 3 and we did a 3part lesson with faces of the easier/obvious emotions (angery, sad, hurt, happy, confused) back when she was around 2.5. We also have started NVC and while we've always used I statements and worked on the kids identifying what they're feeling we're being very successful with it.

We also have a mp3 player with soothing,calming,peaceful music/sounds on it. There is also a yoga mat and some dl's of a fellow Monte mom's daughter doing poses. I also have a diffuser set up with either lavendar or chamomile. I'd like to get to a place where I'm comfortable with having them light a candle when they come to the table and blow it out when they leave it so as to physically make a decision to forgive or move to a higher plane by accepting where the other person is or 'extinguish' their anger... I also have a little giraffee on it's way that I'm going to place there so as to always remind them to not use jackal language.

I also have a singing bowl that is simply amazing in how when it's used it's calm moves throughout the space. It's used by me every now and then if it looks like chaos is reigning and like magic....peace. I used the bowl when I had emergency custody of my 2 nephews and neice (6 kids overnight for almost 6 months....Singing bowls are magical.

Honey

9. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 16, 2010

Thanks Honey! I have incoporated a few things of what you said. Yesterday i brought a lavender scented diffuser (funny that you mentioned that) I don't have it on on my peace table because the table is small. But I have it placed up high over the peace table. I recently brought some peaceful moods cd from the dollar store... cant wait to play that as well.

I plan to play it during the mornings during the kids arrival.

Just finished staggered entry for the prekinders so I'm excited about the rest of the year unfolding...

10. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2010

I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondering how your year was going so far. How's everything?

11. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 4, 2010

Hey Tracy!
    I hadnt got on much since school started, but checking in now. Its definetly been busy busy! I stay at work most days until about 6pm, get things ready for the next day. Training will starts September 10-13... 1 weekend a month for a year, so i'm excited about that.

My Kinders are great they help out a lot, sometimes i feel like im not challenging them as much... so Im spending the weekend brainstorming and finding more materials for Tuesday. I have a few demanding parents. They had a really awesome teacher last year who was montessori trained and has been teaching for years. So I'm working hard to meet the demands of my parents, of myself, of the school/county/principal etc.

But I'm excited that my first project on donors choose have been funded! i put it in my newsletter so hopefully my parents will look at it like she's different and that she truly does care about our kids, which I do!

12. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2010

Neat! What was your project that you listed?