PE CSET Subtest III

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by RanFen, Apr 7, 2016.

1. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 8, 2017

I keep re-reading the XAM book and the Mometrix book. I have also taken the multiple choice section over and over and over again until I scored 100% in the both the professional foundations and integration of concepts section. I have also added reading through the entire pe framework for California. If I don't pass this time around I don't know what to do. So aggravating!!! How did you study for the constructed response?

2. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 8, 2017

I also struggled on constructed response. How did you finally pass?

3. D. Nickelson

D. Nickelson New Member

Mar 19, 2018

Teacher Groupie- I appreciate your help and direction above. I too have failed subset 3 (131) 4 times and am so frustrated. I had no problem passing subsets 1 & 2 but this 3 has been very difficult. As a result of these 4 tests, at different points I have had +++ in the foundations section and +++ in the integrated concepts but never more than ++ for constructed response. My scores have ranged from 179-214. The last test I was sure I passed because the constructed response was on a skill in a sport that I play outside of work. I thought I integrated concepts well using motor and learning development terms, movement skill proficiency terms, biomechanics and kinesiology terms but still scoring ++ with a "d" for depth and breath. I have studied the state standards and frameworks and even have pre-constructed the responses for throwing, catching and kicking but am truly missing something. I am looking now for a constructed response reader who understands the question and terminology. I don't have a lot of time to ask the wrong people to help. What are your suggestions? I am not able to renew my emergency credentals again:-(

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2018
  4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 19, 2018

Hm.

Is "d" with ++ what you've generally seen on the score report on the Subtest III constructed response? How did you do on constructed responses in other subtests? (I know you've passed those subtests, but diagnostics in other subtests can give useful clues as to patterns.)

5. D. Nickelson

D. Nickelson New Member

Mar 19, 2018

Yes, "d" with ++ is what I've generally seen on the score report. As I have been reviewing the Physical Education Teacher Preparation in California: Standards of Quality and Effectiveness for Subject Matter Program publication, I think maybe my "d" is integrating all the different components of the test rather than the depth of just the skill they are showing me in the videos. I went into such depth and detail about the movement skill shown, the biomechancs, including stages of motor learning, what is developmentally appropriate.
    I took the first 2 tests 2 years ago and my scores are no longer on line, I will have to request a copy of them to answer your above question.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  6. Ginny Northwood

Ginny Northwood New Member

Mar 22, 2018

7. Ginny Northwood

Mar 22, 2018

Hi. I was wondering if you passed your test using those materials. I am taking all 3 tests in April.

8. Ginny Northwood

Mar 22, 2018

9. Ginny Northwood

Mar 22, 2018

Hi would you be able to suggest the best way for me to study in order to pass that section?

10. D. Nickelson

D. Nickelson New Member

Mar 26, 2018

Thanks for the note.
    I did not have success with the Mometrix materials. I just became aware of the Xam book so will use that for my next test. I did have success with the study.com site.

11. ccmoreno11

ccmoreno11 Rookie

Jul 30, 2018

Can you i ask you to elaborate on what the proffesional foundations part is about. I am struggling with that. I only recieve ** on that part every single time and have scored a 210 three times so i am pretty close. the integration of concepts and essay is pretty easy but cant seem to get past the professional foundations part..

on your question i would just reccomend learning the progression of skills in the different sports. i believe thats what the integration of cocepts is about. being able to implement the skills of the sports into the lessons.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2018

Hugs, ccmoreno11. Are you generally a bit more comfortable with constructed response than with multiple choice?

If you have less than ++++ in integration of concepts, you have some room for improvement even there. I say this not in criticism but to give hope: the subtest is scored as a whole, so improving where one is already fairly strong can in fact lead to a passing score, and for some people that feels more doable.

As for professional foundations, one is dealing with the following components:

• philosophies of PE, past and present: the reasons that people have thought PE worth doing
    • historical development: places in which PE was important and the people who were leaders (and you need to be able to name some names)
    • current research, trends, and issues: what concerns are currently driving developments in PE (the subtest description mentions obesity in youth)
    • legal and ethical issues: what educational law and practice either require or allow in terms of a PE teacher's responsibilities, including supervision, student safety and confidentiality (for instance, at what point should a teacher break confidentiality with regard to a student at risk?) and how to assure that PE instruction is equitable and inclusive
    • interrelationships of the subdisciplines of kinesiology: this requires that one know the subdisciplines of kinesiology, and there's some disagreement about just what they're called, but the American Kinesiology Association page on the undergraduate core in kinesiology may help)
    • professional responsibilities, organizations, and resources: know the state and national organizations that support PE and PE teachers (I don't know whether CSET PE III yet reflects the change in name from AAHPERD to SHAPE America, but it would be wise to know both)
    Your best bet at this point is to start ransacking the internet, using these terms and the terms and concerns that come up in the sample questions for CSET PE III.

futuremathsprof likes this.