PE CSET Subtest III

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by RanFen, Apr 7, 2016.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 3, 2016

Have you passed the other subtests?

Your best bet might be to find or make a reasonably comprehensive glossary of PE terms - kinesiology, body mechanics, all that stuff - plus the professional concerns that are mentioned in the California PE framework (www.cde.ca.gov, under the Curriculum and Instruction tab) and then spend some time every day describing things you do using that kind of terminology.

2. PEteacher68

PEteacher68 Rookie

Jan 17, 2017

I recently received my results for the CSET Subtest III and after studying and feeling confident after leaving the exam. I did not pass the exam. I have failed the exam four times so far and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I actually did worse this time, then I did on my 3rd time taking the exam. I researched online and there does not seem to be many resources for the Physical Education subject.
    I am looking for additional resources. I already have the book, flashcards and have been looking over the California PE framework.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2017

Hugs, PEteacher68. Does your current score report show s,d on the constructed response again?

4. PEteacher68

PEteacher68 Rookie

Jan 18, 2017

Yes,
    s, d is on the constructed response again. However, I am confused about the grading because my last exam I had s, d with two ++ and this one s, d with only one + .

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2017

Hm. Well, s is for support and d is for depth: it would seem that the scorers still aren't happy with how you're supporting your answer with examples and reasoning and with the breadth and depth of your ability to integrate all the concepts of PE.

Did you get s on any of your constructed responses for the subtests you've already passed?

6. PEteacher68

PEteacher68 Rookie

Jan 19, 2017

No I passed the subtest I and II the first time I took the test. But for all the times I have taken subtest III, support (s) was always an issue with my response and depth (d) as well.

7. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 3, 2017

Anyone have suggestions to pass subtest 3? I've taken it twice... No dice :(

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2017

How close are you coming to passing, and what do you see by way of diagnostics on your score reports?

9. PEteacher68

PEteacher68 Rookie

Apr 5, 2017

I finally passed mine after taking it for the 4th time. Finally! But what are you struggling on? I struggled on the constructed response. It is important to know how to make modifications to each students abilities in the video and to thoroughly explain how will the student improve from making the changes.

10. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 6, 2017

First time I took it, I scored + in Professional Foundations and +++ in Integration of Concepts. I scored check mark and +++ in Constructed-response. I scored 195.
    Second time I took it, I scored +++ in Professional Foundations and +++ in Integration of Concepts. I scored d and + in Constructed-response. With a total scored of 208. Grrrr.
    I got the MC down now. It's just that constructed response that kills it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

11. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 6, 2017

I also noticed that every time the students are pretty much at the beginner level. Is it even possible that they put intermediate or advanced students in the videos?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 6, 2017

Thirteen points is a fine increase, as is going from + to +++ in professional foundations.

When you write your constructed responses, whom do you have in mind as a reader?

13. Apr 7, 2017

Hey there froggy929, I was wondering what did material did you go over to achieve such a great score on the MC? I have the opposite problem. I tend to struggle with the MC but do well in the constructive essay. I have attempted to take this test 4 times but have failed miserably on the MC. Any advice would be appreciated!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2017

Do you tend to choose an answer, then change it, then discover you shouldn't have changed it? Then stick with your first answer unless you can find concrete reasons that that answer is wrong.

The correct answer to a multiple choice question isn't necessarily the best possible answer: it's the best of the alternatives you're given. If a question's scenario is all about volleyball on the high-school level, don't fall for the answer that's better suited to basketball or to middle-schoolers.

15. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 8, 2017

I have in mind the educators in the field of physical education. As if I were writing to an experienced teacher.