PE CSET Subtest III

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by RanFen, Apr 7, 2016.

1. RanFen

RanFen Guest

Apr 7, 2016

Hi
    So I have passed the first two subtests but subtest III has taken me down twice...interestingly enough, there are very similar questions I keep seeing and research information and answers to the questions but still am not sure about the answers. I am a Health teacher looking to add on my PE credential... coincidentally I am very physically active but just haven't had a big background in the practical studies... If anyone has either A. the answer to my questions or B. a resource that can help me, I would appreciate it.. I have read through the Healthy Frameworks and accessed books such as Children Moving and Xam, and Mometrix... Furthermore, I score fine in the +++ in the Professional Foundations but only score + on the Integration of Concepts as well as the Constructed response... however I think I know what I need to do with the constructed response so at this point, it's just more information for questions below:
    1. For dribbling a soccer ball at a beginners level, what would be the next skill for kids?
    2. For teaching one handed basketball drills, what would be the next skill learned (once again beginners)
    3. After learning the basics of using a hockey stick, what is the next subsequent skill to learn

So as you can see, it's the progression steps in learning sports that I need help with. Thanks!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2016

First, see if there's any help in the California PE framework, which you'll find on the Web site of the California Dept. of Education at www.cde.ca.gov under Curriculum and Instruction. (The framework for each curriculum area is the document that fleshes out the state content standards. If you don't find immediate help for your specific question, you're nevertheless likely to find general help.) In addition, try searching the Web for lesson plans that cover what you want. I'd recommend doing that directly ("lesson plan soccer dribble", "lesson plan basketball one handed", and so on: adjust search terms as appropriate). You can and should also check out PE Central, www.pecentral.org, and both CAHPERD and AAHPERD. In addition, you might find that organizations that promote the sport to children yield good information for amateur coaches that you'll then need to translate into PE-Teacher-ese: it seemed to me on searching for soccer dribbling lesson plans that AYSO's name was on a number of hits.

4. bbelton60

bbelton60 Rookie

May 6, 2016

I had the same experience. Passed the first 2 with relative ease. Bombed the third one, even though it was very similar content and I studied even more than I did for the first 2. Weird. Gotta try again next fall.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 6, 2016

"Bombed", or "didn't pass"? There's a difference, at least in my eyes.

6. bbelton60

bbelton60 Rookie

May 11, 2016

I got a 183. Only one + on the "Foundations of PE" part, which I had a difficult time finding content on. Probably going to try taking it again this upcoming fall but I'm not in a rush to pass, since I like teaching social studies and PE openings are rare.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 11, 2016

That's a substantial gap, yes; I suspect you're also seeing p's and k's and s's on your constructed responses.

NASPE, the National Association for Sports and Physical Education, is another good resource for you.

8. jessica Alvarez

jessica Alvarez Rookie

May 18, 2016

Took it down Already

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 19, 2016

This thread is for the CSET exam that prospective PE teachers take, jessica.

10. Treeburn

Treeburn Rookie

Jun 4, 2016

Hi everyone. I passed 1&3 a year ago and am stuck on 2. I now have not passed 4 times missing by 1-3 points! I am going nuts. Ironically on the past4 tests I have gotten 4 stars on the constructed response so not passing was all my fault because It was the multiple choice! However! This time I did great on the multiple choice but strangely got 3 stars on the constructed response. This was the difference between passing and NOT passing. I wrote the exact same stuff per the other ones. I understand how the responses work so I know what I am doing. So there actually IS a way you can ask for a re evaluation so I sent I the 50$ required and wrote a note explaining how one damn star would make all the difference. My schooling has come to a standstill since last September because I cannot go any further in my credential program. I would have had my credential by now. I seriously doubt they will change it because if they do they have to refund me the $50! I did nothing different on the constructed response. I know all the key words they are looking for etc.. It is really strange and I am ready to give up. I am 55 and started over. Would love to hear from anyone. I just need support!

11. lifefit23

lifefit23 New Member

Aug 12, 2016

Bbelton, I'm pulling for you to pass PE CSET Subtest III. I'm taking PE CSET I this month followed by II and III within the next few weeks. Any advice? I've been studying the Mometrix and XAM books, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot more than that. I bombed on the CSET officical practice test from their website, getting 7/15 (AFTER going through those 2 books. I feel like some of the info in the study guides weren't even on the practice test. I worry the actual test will have a lot info not covered in those 2 study guides.

12. PEteacher68

PEteacher68 Rookie

Nov 1, 2016

Hey Everyone,

I am having trouble passing the PE CSET Subtest III. This will be my 4th time taking the exam and my biggest issue is the constructed response question. I am looking for some resources that can help me study for the exam. I already have a study exam book (mometrix), but I do not feel it helps as much for the constructed response questions. Any advice or resources?

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2016

Welcome to A to Z, PEteacher68, and hugs.

What are your diagnostics showing, by way of p, t, k, d or checkmark?

14. PEteacher68

PEteacher68 Rookie

Nov 2, 2016

I scored a 214 on the test. I need a 220 to pass. Both multiple choice sections, I scored a +++. Constructed response was ++ and diagnostics were s,d (support, depth of knowledge) Any advice or resources?

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2016

The domains of Subtest III are Professional Foundations, which accounts for about 16 multiple choice questions, and Integration of Concepts, which accounts for about 24 multiple choice questions and one extended constructed response.

The one constructed response is scored on a scale from 0 to 4 by two scorers; the diagnostics are intended to indicate in which specific aspects - purpose, knowledge, support, breadth/depth - the response fell short. If you received ++ for that constructed response, you probably got half or fewer of the points the scorers were hoping to give you. The s,d diagnostic suggests that the point your answer was making wasn't off base in the scorers' eyes and your grasp of the specific PE concepts and terminology wasn't insufficient (or you would have received p,k). But the scorers seem to have wanted to see more support for your answer, in the form of evidence from the video and reasoning based on the principles of PE. And the difference between CSET short answers and CSET extended answers, like this one, is the breadth/depth dimension: my sense is that d goes to the response that was all right as far as it went but that should have gone farther. The Subtest III constructed response is in Integration of Concepts, so your answer needs to reflect the scope of your knowledge of PE and how PE concepts interrelate.

At the same time, if you have +++ for multiple choice on both domains of Subtest III, there's room for improvement - enough room for improvement in multiple choice Integration of Concepts alone to accommodate the six points you need to pass. "Integration of Concepts" means that this part of Subtest III pulls together everything from the first two subtests. The more you get in the habit of viewing a physical activity from multiple PE perspectives, the more you'll be able to do that successfully in the test.

16. PEteacher68

PEteacher68 Rookie

Nov 3, 2016

Thank you for the information. Do you recommend any resources that I can use to help me with the test especially the constructed response questions?

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 3, 2016

Have you passed the other subtests?

Your best bet might be to find or make a reasonably comprehensive glossary of PE terms - kinesiology, body mechanics, all that stuff - plus the professional concerns that are mentioned in the California PE framework (www.cde.ca.gov, under the Curriculum and Instruction tab) and then spend some time every day describing things you do using that kind of terminology.

18. PEteacher68

PEteacher68 Rookie

Jan 17, 2017

I recently received my results for the CSET Subtest III and after studying and feeling confident after leaving the exam. I did not pass the exam. I have failed the exam four times so far and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I actually did worse this time, then I did on my 3rd time taking the exam. I researched online and there does not seem to be many resources for the Physical Education subject.
    I am looking for additional resources. I already have the book, flashcards and have been looking over the California PE framework.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2017

Hugs, PEteacher68. Does your current score report show s,d on the constructed response again?

20. PEteacher68

PEteacher68 Rookie

Jan 18, 2017

Yes,
    s, d is on the constructed response again. However, I am confused about the grading because my last exam I had s, d with two ++ and this one s, d with only one + .

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2017

Hm. Well, s is for support and d is for depth: it would seem that the scorers still aren't happy with how you're supporting your answer with examples and reasoning and with the breadth and depth of your ability to integrate all the concepts of PE.

Did you get s on any of your constructed responses for the subtests you've already passed?

22. PEteacher68

PEteacher68 Rookie

Jan 19, 2017

No I passed the subtest I and II the first time I took the test. But for all the times I have taken subtest III, support (s) was always an issue with my response and depth (d) as well.

23. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 3, 2017

Anyone have suggestions to pass subtest 3? I've taken it twice... No dice :(

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 4, 2017

How close are you coming to passing, and what do you see by way of diagnostics on your score reports?

25. PEteacher68

PEteacher68 Rookie

Apr 5, 2017

I finally passed mine after taking it for the 4th time. Finally! But what are you struggling on? I struggled on the constructed response. It is important to know how to make modifications to each students abilities in the video and to thoroughly explain how will the student improve from making the changes.

26. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 6, 2017

First time I took it, I scored + in Professional Foundations and +++ in Integration of Concepts. I scored check mark and +++ in Constructed-response. I scored 195.
    Second time I took it, I scored +++ in Professional Foundations and +++ in Integration of Concepts. I scored d and + in Constructed-response. With a total scored of 208. Grrrr.
    I got the MC down now. It's just that constructed response that kills it. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

27. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 6, 2017

I also noticed that every time the students are pretty much at the beginner level. Is it even possible that they put intermediate or advanced students in the videos?

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 6, 2017

Thirteen points is a fine increase, as is going from + to +++ in professional foundations.

When you write your constructed responses, whom do you have in mind as a reader?

29. Apr 7, 2017

Hey there froggy929, I was wondering what did material did you go over to achieve such a great score on the MC? I have the opposite problem. I tend to struggle with the MC but do well in the constructive essay. I have attempted to take this test 4 times but have failed miserably on the MC. Any advice would be appreciated!

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 7, 2017

Do you tend to choose an answer, then change it, then discover you shouldn't have changed it? Then stick with your first answer unless you can find concrete reasons that that answer is wrong.

The correct answer to a multiple choice question isn't necessarily the best possible answer: it's the best of the alternatives you're given. If a question's scenario is all about volleyball on the high-school level, don't fall for the answer that's better suited to basketball or to middle-schoolers.

31. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 8, 2017

I have in mind the educators in the field of physical education. As if I were writing to an experienced teacher.

32. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 8, 2017

I keep re-reading the XAM book and the Mometrix book. I have also taken the multiple choice section over and over and over again until I scored 100% in the both the professional foundations and integration of concepts section. I have also added reading through the entire pe framework for California. If I don't pass this time around I don't know what to do. So aggravating!!! How did you study for the constructed response?

33. froggy929

froggy929 Rookie

Apr 8, 2017

I also struggled on constructed response. How did you finally pass?

34. D. Nickelson

D. Nickelson New Member

Mar 19, 2018

Teacher Groupie- I appreciate your help and direction above. I too have failed subset 3 (131) 4 times and am so frustrated. I had no problem passing subsets 1 & 2 but this 3 has been very difficult. As a result of these 4 tests, at different points I have had +++ in the foundations section and +++ in the integrated concepts but never more than ++ for constructed response. My scores have ranged from 179-214. The last test I was sure I passed because the constructed response was on a skill in a sport that I play outside of work. I thought I integrated concepts well using motor and learning development terms, movement skill proficiency terms, biomechanics and kinesiology terms but still scoring ++ with a "d" for depth and breath. I have studied the state standards and frameworks and even have pre-constructed the responses for throwing, catching and kicking but am truly missing something. I am looking now for a constructed response reader who understands the question and terminology. I don't have a lot of time to ask the wrong people to help. What are your suggestions? I am not able to renew my emergency credentals again:-(

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2018
  35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 19, 2018

Hm.

Is "d" with ++ what you've generally seen on the score report on the Subtest III constructed response? How did you do on constructed responses in other subtests? (I know you've passed those subtests, but diagnostics in other subtests can give useful clues as to patterns.)

36. D. Nickelson

D. Nickelson New Member

Mar 19, 2018

Yes, "d" with ++ is what I've generally seen on the score report. As I have been reviewing the Physical Education Teacher Preparation in California: Standards of Quality and Effectiveness for Subject Matter Program publication, I think maybe my "d" is integrating all the different components of the test rather than the depth of just the skill they are showing me in the videos. I went into such depth and detail about the movement skill shown, the biomechancs, including stages of motor learning, what is developmentally appropriate.
    I took the first 2 tests 2 years ago and my scores are no longer on line, I will have to request a copy of them to answer your above question.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  37. Ginny Northwood

Ginny Northwood New Member

Mar 22, 2018

38. Ginny Northwood

Mar 22, 2018

Hi. I was wondering if you passed your test using those materials. I am taking all 3 tests in April.

39. Ginny Northwood

Mar 22, 2018

40. Ginny Northwood

Mar 22, 2018

Hi would you be able to suggest the best way for me to study in order to pass that section?

41. D. Nickelson

D. Nickelson New Member

Mar 26, 2018

Thanks for the note.
    I did not have success with the Mometrix materials. I just became aware of the Xam book so will use that for my next test. I did have success with the study.com site.