PE CSET Fall 2016

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by lifefit23, Aug 18, 2016.

1. lifefit23

lifefit23 New Member

Aug 18, 2016

Hi, I've been scanning the web for PE CSET study info. I've downloaded the sample tests and other PE Framework references, but I still feel like I'm short on info. I've been studying off the sample tests from the CSET website along with the Mometrix flash cards and XAM 129, 130, and 131 book. I just took Subtest I (129), and wasn't confident in how I did. I felt like I was prepared, but the material from the book only comprised about 20 percent of the test. There seems to be plenty of single subject prep material on social science, english, etc., but hardly anything for the PE CSET. Does anyone have anything else to study besides the Mometrix cards and XAM book? I've heard Subtest II and III will be a lot harder. Thanks for reading, and hopefully I can thank you for sharing some tips!!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 18, 2016

Identify technical terms you don't know cold from the subtest descriptions and the state content standards and framework, and look them up on Wikipedia. Find PE lesson plans online. Rummage through sites like PE Central and CAHPERD...

4. ThatOneTeacherLady

ThatOneTeacherLady New Member

Sep 29, 2016

I too will be taking the CSET parts II and III this fall. I already have a credential and and looking forward to passing these two tests. I bought the Xam book too. Hopefully it contains enough information.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 30, 2016

Welcome to A to Z, ThatOneTeacherLady. Do I understand that your existing credential is in PE?

Get in the habit of using the technical terminology of PE: the more you use all those terms and concepts, the more they become yours. Any term you don't know cold, look up. The Internet is your friend here. Wikipedia is a terrific resource for the test taker. And if you haven't downloaded the state content standards and frameworks for PE, let me urge you to do so and to use those documents as sources of terms to look up.

ThatOneTeacherLady likes this.
  6. ThatOneTeacherLady

ThatOneTeacherLady New Member

Oct 1, 2016

Hello TeacherGroupie,
    My credential is in Special Education. I currently coach softball and have coached both volleyball and soccer. Because my position requires me to hold meetings, I am not able to coach more than 1 sport, so I have decided (after over 10 years in the classroom) to pursue a credential in P.E. From what I understand, once I pass all 3 sections of the P.E. CSET, I just need two classes to earn my credential. Do you know anything about mid career professionals going into P.E. having to take anything more than a P.E. methods class and a practicum?

I will be taking subtest II in Nov. and subtest III in Dec. I will return with final results. In the meantime, I'll be studying for both subtests by scouring the Internet for lesson plan examples and looking at the state standards.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 1, 2016

CSET plus PE pedagogy, yes; the practicum, I don't know about, which tells you that I don't do credentialing. Put that question to the credential analysts at the local county office of education, please.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 1, 2016

Since you're currently coaching, make a point after each session of picking some key terms and figuring out how they could be used in discussing the session. Emphasize the terms that are most relevant to the subtest you're facing next, but look to use other appropriate terms as well. The idea is to make you fluent in PE-teacher-speak by leveraging what you already know. Of course, you can do this looking back at your previous coaching as well.

The PE Central website is likely to be helpful. I'm sorry I can't recall whether it's pecentral.com or pecentral.org, though I suspect the former.

I assume you already know about AAHPERD and CAHPERD.