PDP Goal Help

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MsDouglas, Sep 6, 2014.

1. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Sep 6, 2014

It's that time of year again and I have to write my Professional Development Plan (PDP). I had until next Friday but now I have a meeting with my P Monday morning. I'm at a new school and this is my first pre-conference. I picked out what I want to work on after completing my self evaluation, but I need help making goals.

I want my first goal to deal with teaching yearbook for the first time. Anyone have a measurable goal about creating a yearbook for the first time? Hopefully this year the book will be profitable with my help.

My next area of improvement is Element IV. The 2 prompts for accomplished are:
    -Encourages students to create and manage learning teams.
    - Provides opportunities for students to assess themselves and others.

I create groups based on performance. I just started doing exit slips this past week. The students have to answer math problems and then rate their understanding on a scale of novice to distinguished.

Could anyone give me advise on wording my goals?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 7, 2014

Is there any way you could tie the two together? Students could create teams to work on yearbook pages?

4. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Sep 7, 2014

The team working goal is for my math classes. I have 2 math classes and 1 yearbook class this semester. I need at least 2 goals. I figured 1 should relate to the subject I'm certified to teach.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 7, 2014

As a former yearbook advisor, I think the most important and difficult goal you'll have is creating a profitable book. That should definitely be listed.

6. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Sep 7, 2014

Thanks bandnerdtx. That was my plan. I'm just not very good at putting it into words. I may be stressing out about this too much.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 7, 2014

Wow, ours are totally different from yours! We have one topic, then list several activities we will do within that topic, and how it will impact our instruction.

8. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Sep 7, 2014

My advice for creating goals is to pick something that you have to do already. An example from my job is that my children are non-verbal and one of my goals was developing different ways for students to communicate answers. This helps to not create more work for myself because the documentation for this goal is already in my lesson plans.