PD for Subs

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Miz_Jay, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Aug 15, 2014

The district I sub in is offering professional development for their subs and I'm so excited about it! Not only is it a way to increase our daily pay (yay!!!!!) but it's a great way to stay up on what's going on in the district and to familiarize people who don't have a teaching background with teaching.

I took my first one a couple days back - subbing in the FLS/ELS classroom (something I'd always avoided out of just simply not knowing what to expect in those types of classes). Today I'm taking a SPED class which I'm also excited about because even though I've subbed in SPED before, I haven't done it often and this'll give me way more info and strategies.

I'm taking as many of the classes as I can fit into my schedule, except for the pre-k one (because I've taught pre-k before) and the high school one (because I know I wouldn't be successful with that age group).

They're also talking about setting up a PD for subs based around ALICE because they're implementing that in the district this year. I think it'd be super helpful. I also think it'd be pretty great if they'd offer some more academic based PDs, especially for those of us who are certified teachers.

For districts that don't offer PD of any kind how do subs go about continuing their training and education in your area?

Are there other districts out there that do this kind of thing for subs?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2014

It's great your district is doing this for subs! We have some limited PD opportunities for paras but really nothing is offered for subs.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2014

During my LTS, they had a PD day and I couldn't go even if I went unpaid. (I think it was more the liability of me not getting paid than the fact that they wanted to exclude me. Maybe. Since I wasn't salaried.) I'd definitely go to anything available to me!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2014

Our subs don't typically get any PD. Sometimes the long-term subs have an option to attend, but that usually depends on the subject that they are in and the administrator in charge.

I'm extremely envious that you get ALICE training. I want to do that, but my district still prefers the "sitting ducks" strategy. :(

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2014

What a great opportunity for day-to-day subs. Kudos to you for taking advantage of it!

7. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

Aug 15, 2014

How exciting!

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2014

It is a forward thinking district that prepares their subs this well. I have worked in districts where we had two days of orientation that would cover some of this, and I loved it. Lucky you!

9. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Aug 16, 2014

I really hope that the district does end up doing a three hour ALICE training for the subs, but we'll see. The regular teachers are getting the training on Monday. We talked about it a little bit during orientation and it is so much better than the sitting duck approach, you're right Caesar.

This is the first year for PD for subs in my district. They implemented a 3 hour orientation a couple years ago though.

We have a new head of HR who started his career as a sub teacher and he's been really responsive to feedback from subs. Suggestions from subs is what got the district to start offering these classes.

I'm really glad though and I know that we're lucky to have it because no other district in my area offers anything like this to their subs.

10. teach02920

teach02920 New Member

Sep 3, 2014

Lucky you!! I wish mine would offer that. I was told last year as all hired teachers where going to the ALICE training that they didn't want subs to go to the training because that was liability because they weren't hired. Funny thing though, as subs, we still have to practice it during drills and we have NO clue! Oh and I sooo want to go to some special ed PDs as I sub in special ed mainly.