PD during the school day?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2019

At my previous school, we never had PD during the school day. I wish we had them occasionally because I sometimes wanted a break.

At my new school, we are implementing the Open Up Math Curriculum. We will have PDs for each unit in the curriculum. I think it would be 7 days that we miss and we would get subs. That seems like a lot considering that I would likely take 2-4 sick/personal days as well. I think it’ll be great to collaborate about the units though.

How often do you have PD?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Aug 9, 2019

I used to work at a school that did PD's throughout the year. They were usually very interesting too ( highly pd speakers, authors). I think teachers were valued there a lot there. I am happy for you that you'll get some break days in the year! :) What is called PD in the lower 48 states is way different than what it is here usually. I have no clue how many PD 's we have a year. I think I don't look because I do not look forward to them anymore...lol

4. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Aug 9, 2019

Four times a year.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 10, 2019

We have days like that all the time. I can’t even count them because it’s so many. Doing sub plans is a hassle, but it truly makes me feel valued to be in a district that will willingly provide me with PD during my regularly contracted time. It usually means that they understand teachers aren’t perfect and need support in growing professionally, and they accept that it’s their responsibility to provide that support. Just try to find a good sub, and have the same person sub as many times as possible. When the students are used to the same sub, their time is more productive while you are away.

6. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Aug 10, 2019

Open Up is a fantastic curriculum, so the PD could be invaluable for implementation. We have half-day data meetings for math and language arts monthly from September through February. Nothing new is ever accomplished so it is a complete waste to be out of the classroom.

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2019

I think it will be useful. I actually don't have another 6th grade math teacher at my school. I think I would struggle if it was my first year because I got a lot of help from the other 6th grade teacher at my previous school. I like the curriculum overall and it seems like my school is really investing in it with the trainings, workbooks, and supplies.

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 10, 2019

We are doing that this year. We already have a lot of PD days (no school for students) built into the calendar- several before students start for the year, and then about one per month after that. This year we are doing a new literacy initiative and I just found out that sped teachers and interventionists will be going to one extra PD day every month. I'm not thrilled- we've already had 3 PD days on this and it's the same thing we've all been doing (at least at my school) for years now- not new information whatsoever. I already miss 1x per month with students for MTSS meetings, and another 2 days every 6 weeks for data teams. And about 80% of the time that I get a sub, she ends up getting pulled to cover an absent classroom teacher anyway, so writing the plans is a waste of my time.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  9. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Aug 11, 2019

There are phenomenal Facebook groups for OUR: Grades 6-8 and Grade 6 would help you tremendously. There is lots of file and resource sharing in addition to support.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2019

I have joined these groups and they are great. I was nervous about the curriculum but now I'm very excited to teach it and to work in a school that supports us in teaching math through an inquiry based approach.

mrsf70 likes this.