PBL charter!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Chevygirl97, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Chevygirl97

Chevygirl97 Companion

Aug 16, 2011

Hey all!

I took a position teaching 2nd @ a Project Based Learning charter school (after 4 years teaching 2nd @ a Catholic school!!) Anyone else teaching PBL? We use Daily 5 as our literacy program & are expected to create units using our standards. I'm looking to connect with anyone else rowing in this same boat (upstream lol!!!) :thumb:

3. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Sep 29, 2011

My school is a PBL school, though we are not a charter. I am familiar with the Daily 5, but I do not use it myself.

The first step in PBL is to identify a topic. Our principal chooses the topic for us. Last year it was cranes, this year it is dragons (we are also a Chinese instruction school). Once you have a topic, you need a guiding question. This is the overarching theme. My question this year is, "Dragons are a mythical beast, but they are found all around the world. How are dragons similar and different in various cultures?" Then you need to decide on the artifacts the children will create.

This kind of question invites lots of curricular ties. They can read about different dragon stories. They can write dragon stories. We are having the kids each keep a data binder about each kind of dragon they encounter throughout the year. In science, they are going to learn about the life cycle of a real dragon (komodo dragon). They are also going to learn about the constellation Draco.

We will be including dragons intermittently in our math word problems (yeah, it's a stretch). The kids have made dragon puppets in art, and will be learning and performing a dragon dance for the Chinese New Year, the Year of the Dragon.

At our school, all student artifacts and performances are presented on a Community Day held for parents, the community, and local politicians. Due to our proximity to Washington, DC, we've also had our US senators visit.

It seems like a lot, but it's actually pretty easy to include the project topic into your existing curriculum. For example, our second graders need to write poems, so they write dragon poems. They'll already be studying constellations, so we'll just focus on Draco. They're learning life cycles in science, so instead of the lizard in the book, they'll do the komodo dragon.

If you'd like, send me your email address, and I'll send you the project overview I have from last year (cranes). I'm here if you have other questions. You can do it!

Eric