PBIS

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by NorthStar4512, Jul 28, 2014.

1. NorthStar4512

NorthStar4512 Rookie

Jul 28, 2014

How do you use Positive Behavior Supports in your classroom?

I don't think it's too hard to "catch students being good." But, I do not have the time, energy, or logistical setup (not this year) to run a "store" or do anything elaborate.

Any ideas about what might work?

3. mrs.whatsit

mrs.whatsit Rookie

Jul 29, 2014

LiveSchool manages PBIS systems

A really great tool that a lot of PBIS schools use is LiveSchool. It is a free app to track the points you give to students and then keep them in a bank account so that students can redeem those points with rewards! Go to http://whyliveschool.com/ and you can get the free app there!

I quick and easy way to use PBIS without running a store is to do whole class points (tracking on the board) and students are working toward earning one incentive together.

For instance, you could say that 20 whole class points will be tracked. When reached, the students will be awarded 20 extra minutes of recess. Track the points on the board and follow through with the reward.

A quick word to the wise, its smart to pick a character value like Teamwork to focus on when working toward one class incentive. You would tell your students, "This week we are working towards 20 minutes extra recess time on friday. In order to earn whole class points I will be looking for positive ways we are working as a team." and then behavior narrate positive examples of teamwork when you give a point.

4. Fibonacci

Fibonacci Rookie

Sep 14, 2014

Can you think of a class wide reward for middle schoolers?

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 14, 2014

Free time. It worked in middle school and it works in high school. But instead of free time, it's called Preferred activity Time, and you provide them with activities they like to do. Otherwise they might just sit there and go wild, because it's not structured.
    In high school I've used the following:
    - play cards, dominoes, chess, checkers
    - have some small puzzle available
    - print out coloring pages (they have nice ones for older kids, not too elementary)

- if you have access to a few laptops, maybe some can get on the laptop
    - if the kids are allowed to have their cell phones with them at school, at this time they can pull it out and use it (my daughter's school does that, I'm not sure if I'd want to do it though)
    - go outside - my kids love this lately, they just want to go outside, play basketball or sit around

What I like about tracking the points / minutes, is that you are in charge of that. It's up to you if they can earn back a point if they loose it (I don't do that, once it's gone, it's gone), and manipulate it so that even if they're kinda bad, they still earned something. The way I look at it, if they were off the hook our bad, but still got their work done, they still earn 1-2 minutes out of the 4.

You can reward some of the kids who act up to get attention, and no one likes them. At times, when such students was doing his work, didn't disrupt the class, I said to everyone" I'm going to give you guys an extra point because 'Jamie' is doing such a great job". All of sudden Jamie became a hero, and more liked than before. He had his 5 minutes of fame.