PBIS Schools?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jun 27, 2014.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

To those of you who teach in PBIS schools:

Does your principal have a first day of school assembly to talk about expected behaviors in the cafeteria, on the playground, etc. or do teachers handle this exclusively?

We usually have our school-wide welcome back assembly on the Friday of the first week, but I'm not sure if we should have it sooner so I can talk about PBIS expectancies as early as possible.

Any input will be valued! :thanks:

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

We have one hour of "PBIS kickoff" on the first day of school, and one hour on the second day of school. The kids rotate to different parts of the school to discuss expectations. One day, they may visit the cafeteria, playground, and buses. The next day it may be bathroom, hallway, and stairs. Teachers are expected to review these things in the classroom, as well.

Personally, I hate it. It's so boring for the kids. By 2nd grade, they know the rules. I think a simple reminder in the classroom would be good enough.

Oh, and we also have an assembly to remind students about the reward system.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

Gotcha. Thanks for the input, DrivingPigeon. I think it may be beneficial for our new kindergarteners, but our 1st-5th graders are pretty well-versed. Thanks again.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

I think something to walk the kindergartners through their day, and the expectations, is a great idea. It's tough, though, when they are all in one room, because they're so distracted.

I feel like I could get all of the reteaching done in 30 minutes in my classroom. It's just such a waste to have 3 hours of boring rotations and "sit and get" reminders of the rules.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2014

I'm not a fan of long assemblies but I do think it's necessary to talk to ALL the kids about behavior. It doesn't need to be a long, drawn out three hour thing. Just a 10 minute reminder. If you don't go over it then the kids could say they didn't know. In my opinion, it's good to cover your bases.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

Oh, most definitely. We will absolutely still have our welcome back assembly with gentle reminders about PBIS expectations.

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 27, 2014

Our P is not a fan of assemblies (they take away valuable instruction time she says), so not at all. She leaves it up to use teachers to discuss the expectations in our classrooms, plus we send home a little welcome package with the kiddos that outlines PBIS and has a contract both parent and child have to sign.

One thing that is nice is our grade levels take turns planning a monthly PBIS event for the kids. So normally a week or two before the event, they talk about it on the morning announcements, then they give the kids a few days to purchase tickets.

We also have a lot of issues with our PBIS store. It's supposed to be once a week for each grade level, but it's during lunch time and near impossible to get an entire grade level through the line. The kids take FOREVER to decide what they want to buy, then some don't have enough money, or they struggle to count it.

Most teachers don't want to/can't help out with the store because it means you have to give up your entire lunch break.

9. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2014

No, teachers are left to explain PBIS and our Behavior Sheet system to students at the start of the year. Our P does mention the program throughout the year at MS-only events/assemblies (HS does not do PBIS). It's probably a good idea for you, as Admin, to lay the groundwork and expectations of PBIS early in the year so students do not think that this is something only the teachers are implementing. They have to see that this is really a school-wide initiative.

PBIS is really dependent on student and teacher buy-in. Teachers have to (want to) enforce the rules, keep track of the points/rewards, actually want to participate in reward activities/events, etc. Teacher buy-in has always been an issue I've seen with PBIS. Also, students have to feel that the incentives are worthwhile. At my old K-8, PBIS worked great at the K-5 level where many teachers did that traffic light stuff anyway to track and reward student behavior. But for the MS, PBIS was a mess.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 27, 2014

We do "expectation stations" on the first day. There is a little assembly first. Last year, it was a little skit where the principal was running a "game show" for the school rules. One teacher was playing a student who'd been at our school and one teacher was playing a new student who didn't know the rules, and she would answer ridiculous things like, "You should run in the hallway!" Then of course the "veteran student" would provide the right answer and get the point. Then the principal explained our rewards system and what the kids could get for filling up their "tiger paws." Then the teachers took the students around to the various stations and they would talk about what hallway behavior "looks like and sounds like" (that's what we say for everything), bathroom behavior, cafeteria behavior, etc.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2014

One year, we had the guidance counselor wheel a cart with the PBIS prizes to each MS classroom every Friday during the last two periods. This worked well because teachers knew ahead of time to have their kids and their money ready and the counselor was really good at hurrying the kids along. She also did a good job of displaying the items on the carts so the kids easily knew their options.

Our K-5 teachers agreed to count/help count their kids' money on Friday mornings and the counselor came around to them mid-day on Fridays with the cart.

12. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 27, 2014

We have a PBIS kickoff every year. It's not done on the first day though. That first week is for teachers to set expectations. The next Monday we have two assemblies, one for K-2 and the other 3-5. It's set up like a game show. Since we have a very transient population, it's new to most kids. They seem to really like it.

13. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jun 27, 2014

Does it work in high school

My school introduced PBIS at my high school last year. We haven't done anything with it, other than have meetings. From reading the posts, it seems to be very much an elementary school thing (which makes sense, all our top administrators are former elementary and they always push elementary techniques on the high school). As teachers, we understand the concept of PBIS, but we were really wondering if we, for an example of a 12th grade teacher, really needs to be enforcing proper hygiene techniques? I'm curious if it goes anywhere other than meetings next year.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

Our principals made a video with some staff kids with what to do/what not to do in each area and the prize jars. They went over different areas again each morning on our live video announcements.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 27, 2014

The principal has a grade-level assembly for the new students on the first day of school to go over cafeteria procedures. The others get one within the first couple of days. Teachers do most everything else.

16. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 27, 2014

PBIS is fine in K-5, but 6th-8th is struggling. Can you all tell me more about how you've done it successfully in middle school?

Admittedly, it's probably not done with as much fidelity as it could be. :whistle: