PBIS Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mopar, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2011

We are looking at modifying our PBIS approach, so I have a few questions.

We currently give out tickets to kids who are showing positive behaviors in the settings around the school. Right now, we are giving out 30 per week (30 kids in a class). How many do you give out? What about when everyone is following the directions?

We are thinking of using the tickets to buy items at a school store. Currently, we just have drawings. Does using behavior tickets to buy items mesh with PBIS?

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jun 9, 2011

I've seen tickets given out to classes, where classes can earn rewards as a unit. This way an individual child doesn't have to be selected when an entire class is engaged in the desired behavior.

I think it does - the exact nature of the end reinforcement really isn't important, as much as the effect that the item has. As long as its reinforcing, it would mesh, from what I see.

4. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jun 9, 2011

Good question!!!!! I have no clue if it follows PBIS or not!?!?

I am soooooo terrible at passing out tickets!! Our principal gave us class charts this year (usually related to an upcoming holiday or event) and once our class reached the goal we had a simple celebration. She gave us a deadline, usually a week or two in which every class had to reach the goal! This just helped us make sure we were getting tickets passed out and recognizing all the kids. I think PBIS gives 50 as a guide number of how many to hand out in a week. This is building wide and not just your own classroom of course!

The store idea is good especially for the older ones. My concern with younger kids would be keeping track of their tickets! Although I can think of a few ways to try to fix that!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2011

We are only 5-6th grade, so we were thinking of tying in the store idea, but some of the staff feel it does not fit with PBIS although they haven't given any specific reasons.

6. MJH

MJH Companion

Jun 9, 2011

PBIS

I give out anywhere from 50 - 100 tickets a day. These are not just to students in my class but I give them out around the school, especially the cafeteria. We tried having a school store but without funding and manpower we had to stop.

We also give out class compliments for when the whole class is displaying positive behavior. For every ten class compliments I would then have a class reward like: extra recess, a movie, no homework night until we reached 50 then it was an ice cream sundae party. For 100 we had pizza and a movie.

We are an inner city school and PBIS is not really going that well for us. The students steal tickets from teachers and each other and it's hard finding items for them to purchase that mean something to them. My kids really like the drawings I do when I need extra help, they love to help their teacher.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2011

I love the idea about drawing a student to help out! My kids would thrive on this I think.

We have to sign each and every ticket, so it's a little harder to steal but more difficult to give out as well.

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2011

You need to give out a lot for the target behavior. For instance if you are focusing on quiet in the hallway then you need to make sure you are giving out a ticket every time you see this behavior from your students. That is where the positive reinforcement comes in, not just from getting a ticket once a week.

Having a store absolutely meshes with PBIS. The students should have plenty of chances to redeem the tickets. It doesn't have to be every day, but the students shouldn't start to think that a PBIS ticket is worthless. If a student never wins a drawing then the ticket is worthless to them. If they get a lot of tickets and never get the chance to redeem them then they are still worthless. Even having a store once every two weeks is good. We work with our PTO to have a store open every few weeks during lunch hours. The kids love it.

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2011

We have a sheet of tickets that we get copied. All of the teachers sign each ticket on their master copy. We have to then cut the sheets up into the individual tickets, but that's a lot quicker than signing a bunch of tickets. Especially if you flood the students with the tickets the way you are supposed to.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2011

We have target behaviors in the beginning of the year that we focus on but towards the third month of school we really just focus on any behavior that we see.

Part of my plan was to have free items that they can buy: sit by a friend, no homework pass, late assignment pass, use a computer, etc. Not sure of all the details or how we will sell them, but my students love using money to buy these items.

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2011

Mopar, I don't know anything about PBIS, but I think that idea sounds great. Especially the free items (they cost you nothing, but are things students love).

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2011

Thanks Tami! I'm always looking for free.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2011

Lol! Me too. It's my favorite!! :D