PBIS and violent children

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mb_teacher, Oct 4, 2011.

1. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Oct 4, 2011

Ok, so without giving too many details...
    We have a student who consistently hits and kicks other students, drops the f-bomb all the time, has thrown things at me, and has threatened multiple times to kill students and their families.

We are in the beginning stages of implementing PBIS in the schools. (Positive behavior, not immediately sending them to the principal, etc.) For some behaviors, I can understand this. For some students, this would be enough.
    However, for the exceptions, such as this child, they don't care if they go to a Respect/Responsibility class. This child couldn't even care less if they go to the principal.

I understand that we are trying to get the procedures and things in place and that we need to follow them, but shouldn't there be an exception?
    I would think that the threatening to kill students (though probably not a likelihood due to the age) and the continual language and assault of students/teachers would be enough to have an administrator step in and take charge.

I just feel, based on this school and based on another school I was at, that basically it's a "tough it out and pass the problem onto someone else" kind of system. I feel that it's always the teacher's problem and never a team effort to a) deal with the situation and/or b) get the student the help/medication they need.

How do other schools deal with these situations?
    It's making me miss private schools. :(

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2011

We do PBIS, but our admin says that any "serious" situation will still go directly to the AP (who deals with discipline). It just makes sense that way, providing everyone is on the par as what "serious" is, which it sounds like these situations are. For example, normally our first step is a verbal redirect to on-task behavior. If the student continues, the 2nd step would be a hall conference with the teacher to discuss how to change the behavior. However, if a student picks up a chair and throws it at someone, you're not going to say "this is your first redirect, please start your writing," let them throw something else, and then hall conference. That would just be absurd- of course you'd address the serious behavior right away.

4. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Oct 4, 2011

Hi,

Our PBIS team developed a matrix to show what positive strategies can be used in different situations. One column lists examples of serious offenses in which students would be immediately sent to administration or administration called in. This matrix is a great resource when questioning yourself what to do in certain situations.

5. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

Oct 4, 2011

Well, I would assume that threatening to kill students would be considered a tier 4, which is an automatic office referral.
    It's just not being taken like that. :(

Oh well. Just found out it was finally dealt with...after almost 9 weeks. thanks for the input.

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 4, 2011

I have like 4 or 5 kids like this. HOORAY. I try not to send them to the office unless they are super violent/already fighting. If I see it coming I send them to a break area to breath. Maybe they go to another room to do some work. I give out positive rewards like CRAZY when I see these kids doing the right thing. I thank God every day that I got home to somewhere warm, stable, and loving. :dizzy: