Paying My Dues for Plan B

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jadcock, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Jadcock

Jadcock New Member

Jan 20, 2021

Hi, I'm J and I just got my graduate degree in education. Before that I got a bachelor's in history, so I've definitely taken the long way 'round to teach. Other than getting my necessary hours in (volunteer work and observing), I've worked in the service industry as a busboy and food runner. What are some ways I can leverage that experience to getting a semi- or permanent position rather than a sub position?

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jan 20, 2021

Your food industry jobs will not help you at all unless you happened to meet someone useful in leveraging a position during one of those jobs. The best you can do with that is claim that you're good under pressure and aren't afraid of mess. Sorry, that's just the truth of it. Subbing is one of the most reliable ways of moving towards a regular assignment. You're lucky that right now is actually a great time to be a sub, assuming there's in-person or hybrid schools near you. In many places, there's not enough subs to go around and they've bumped up the pay rate. You sub some short gigs, then you've got a better shot at a long-term sub gig. Once the schools know you, you're on the short list when a regular position comes up.

If you are sure you don't want to sub, (or can't; I don't pretend to know your situation) then you'll be better off with some sort of ed. sector experience. See if you can get on as a parapro just for this semester, try local colleges for tutoring center jobs, think about staffing after-care etc. Since you have a masters, you might be able to score one of the standardized tests, so check with Pearson and see if they're hiring.

4. Jadcock

Jadcock New Member

Jan 20, 2021

Thanks for the reply, Viola. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to meet teachers or administrators at either of my jobs. I was hoping to get permanently hired soon after my degree, even if it was to teach a few classes. Waiting to hear back about a sub position means I'll have to get back to the nightly grind of food service.

Getting into the ed. sector is something I hadn't really considered, so thanks for the advice.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 21, 2021

You still might be able to use one of those employers as a reference so that is always a plus. It's especially helpful if you don't have any "education" related references (which is difficult if you've never had a teaching job). Just keep on good terms with all of your employers no matter what the job.

Jadcock likes this.