"Paying" for Classroom Jobs?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by OneBerry, Aug 12, 2011.

1. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Aug 12, 2011

Last year in my class, we had several classroom jobs and rotated through the class list. Everyone had to have a job at least once (for the span of about a month). Some of the students didn't want to, and this year I've rethought the whole thing.

Today my class discussed what jobs they thought were needed and came up with 8. Most of the students were very eager to volunteer for jobs, and I don't want to break down that enthusiasm when we switch who has the jobs. I want classroom jobs to be a leadership role and a privilege for the students who have them, and to somehow encourage other students to step up and volunteer.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried some kind of payment system - not real money, obviously - or reward for students with jobs, and how it worked out. Thanks!! :D

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Aug 12, 2011

I think that would be okay if you had a token economy or some system in place to make it work, but the drawback would be that kids who might really benefit it might not "earn it." In other words, let's say "Jon" would really benefit from a leadership role because of undesirable behavior, but never is able to earn enough money to actually have that job. In this "payment" system, you lose out on a potential intervention idea with Jon, whereas if you maintained control over how to assign it, or kept it random, you'd have the power to use that intervention.

In addition, you'd still have to create some way for kids to buy it, such as auctioning it off, because you'd likely have more than 8 kids that would want to buy it.

So, I guess a few drawbacks, but a great idea for intangible and non time-consuming reinforcements, and a bit of a need to plan some of the details!

4. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 12, 2011

Works for me

I have classroom jobs that I rotate among the students throughout the year. I pay them with class dollars. Every few weeks students will be able to "shop" in our classroom store which has things like pencils, erasers, stickers, candy (I limit them to two pieces), books (free using Book Club Points from Scholastic), and a few other items that have been donated. At the end of the year students have a chance to participate in an auction for other prizes. In the past have also had students buy computer time to use when all of their work is finished.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2011

Since the kids came up with the jobs, I don't see why they couldn't come up with a salary.

You could have a great "real world" lesson there.....

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 13, 2011

7. suziesosa

suziesosa Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

Classroom Job Payment

I have been running a "store" in my classroom for 4 years, and paying students for good behavior and jobs. I love it, and it teaches children responsibility, saving (I always have higher priced items!), and they really learn to count coins. I use the fake coins. You can see how it works in my classroom here:

https://www.teacherweb.com/FL/SextonElementarySchool/MissLak/apt1.aspx

Just go on Tour LAK Airways and I have my classroom economy about halfway down the page!

8. mwil

mwil Rookie

Aug 13, 2011

I have previously had 15 jobs, and every 3 weeks they would switch. So within a 6 week period, everyone had a job. They were also paid for their job, as long as they did it well, using our classroom economy system. This year, I'm trying something a little different. I have come up with a job for every student, and at the beginning of the year we will discuss the requirements for each job, and what an appropriate "salary" would be. Some are much more time consuming than others. Then, they will fill out an application, and list their top 3 jobs and why they should get it. They will then be assigned jobs, and they will stay in that job until the end of the first semester - then, they apply again and get new jobs. I might need to swap a few kiddos around once I get to know them, but this way they can hopefully be doing something they want, and can really learn and remember how to do it.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2011

You know, I've thought about doing this with my high school resource class as a budget project, not necessarily paying for classroom jobs, but more like as a reward for staying on task, going above and beyond, etc...

10. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 13, 2011

I use a classroom Economy and although it is hard work and takes a little time, it works great. It takes care of all of my incentives, like being prepared for class, homework turned in and behavior.

I pay for classroom jobs. We change jobs daily. The best job the students came up with last year was "Police" We had two a day and they "debited" any student who was not following the class rules! Took all the heat off me. The students were harder on the peers than I would have been. There were a few times when I had to intervene (police brutality....j/k) twice it led to "court"...the class president was the judge. Great life lessons!

Sorry for the tangent.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2011

Matt~that's great!