Paying for basic teaching supplies

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by rainyday, Feb 10, 2005.

1. rainyday

rainyday Rookie

Feb 10, 2005

I was just wondering if any other teachers were in the same boat.

I am allocated with $125 Australian dollars per year to buy all my teaching supplies. This includes chalk, charts, bulletin board paper, paints and class art supplies, stickers, sticky tape, and general stationary.

If you have ever seen the price of things in teacher supply catalogs, you’ll know that that money doesn’t go very far. A basic bottle of paint costs around $20. If I was to buy JUST paint, I could only buy between 5 and 6 bottles per year. Then I would be chalkless! - I could PAINT on the black board?

I am also on a very limited photo copying allocation which amounts to 4 pages per child per week. That’s not a lot when you consider notes going home, homework, booklets, award certificates and general work sheets. I am often at a copy place on the week-end spending between $10 and $20 dollars just to cover me for the week.

My room has only basic furniture. I don’t have a book display – my reading books for the students are in tubs (I bought). They have to put their school bags on a shelf that is supposed to be used for storage. My stored items are in my spare room at home because there is no storage in my classroom.

I teach in a town where the weather is so hot in the summer that the government allows children to take days off due to the heat but will not air-condition the rooms!

What are your comments? I would be interested to hear your opinions.

3. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Feb 10, 2005

wow

I work in a small district, and we're allocated $75 for pens, pencils, chalk, etc, but if we run out of something they keep a stock in the office just in case! We have no limit on photocopies, and our rooms are air conditioned. I couldn't imagine our 100 degree Augusts without it!

My room has a book shelf (which the school bought when I asked for one) 29 fairly new chairs (one broke in shipment when I got them two years ago) which the school also got me when I requested them. Four student computers, my teacher's computer. A digital piano, and my big arse desk! My school is great to get somethign if you have a genuine need and they have the $$.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  4. Prissypants

Prissypants Companion

Feb 10, 2005

I can't believe that you can survive on that little. How many students do you teach? I guess that I had it a lot easier than I thought when I was teaching.

One thing I will suggest is that you ask the community to help out. You'll probably be shocked at how much they are willing to contribute. I always put on a festival with my 8th graders. It was expensive, but I never had to pay for anything. Parents were always willing to help with things just so their child would have the opportunity to be involved in such a special event. The community was great, too. You'd be shocked at what people have lying around their home that they'd love to get rid of but don't know who could use it. I got tons of paint, fabric, and art supplies this way.

Also, what about a fund raiser. Yes, they're a pain in the buttisimo but they could really help with your funding problems. In my district, we were allowed to do one fundraiser a year and it had to be pre-approved. Maybe you could raise funds to buy some needed furniture and fans. After a year or two, you might have everything that you need in that direction.

Good luck!

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Feb 10, 2005

Do you have Dollar stores? You can get supplies a lot cheaper there. Are you allowed to send a note home requesting supplies for each student? How about sending a note home "My Teaching Wish List of Supplies" and list all the things you would like to have. Would it be cheaper to buy yourself a cheap copy machine? At school ball games we sell candy apples, cake raffles, --be sure it is ok to sell chances and how to word it to be legal, parents furnish the cakes, sell heart shape helium balloons at Valentines Day, sponsor a pop machine in the teachers lounge or school hall (or juice and snack machine, gum ball machine, pencil machines) Do you have a Parent Teacher Association or room parents? They might be willing to help with projects. We send home a note at the beginning of each year asking for parents to be room parents. They sponsor holiday parties and projects. Be sure to announce what the money will be used for. Petunia

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2005

I'm in NJ where recent legislation will SEVERELY limit our funds next year. (1701) Up until now we've pretty much been able to get what we needed as far as supplies. Even extras we've found money for if it makes sense to get it. I do spend out of pocket, but try to limit it- (Dollar stores are great!!) if you are constantly buying buying buying just to run the basic curriculum needs of your classroom, nothing will change. Think about it- if all the teachers in your building stop buying the neccessities, you will quickly run out of chalk, paper, etc.....Parents will complain, complain, complain (hopefully) and that may help grease the wheels a bit!!