Pay Periods

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by katerina03, Aug 3, 2006.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 3, 2006

The district I am working in only pays once a month (the last day). Has anyone else heard of a district that pays once a month?

I am by no means great at math, but I have had people tell me that more taxes (a higher percentage) is taken out of a once a month check than smaller weekly or bi-monthly checks. I disagreed with these people (none of whom know this first hand). Does anyone have an opinion whether this us true.

3. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 3, 2006

When I was a sub, one of the districts I subbed in paid it's teachers once a month. The other district paid its subs once a month and teachers every other week. I now get paid every other week as a full time teacher.

I don't know about the taxes thing. I'm definitely not the best at math. :)

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 3, 2006

My district pays once a month. I haven't thought about taxes....

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 3, 2006

We get paid once a month. I couldn't imagine not getting that pay in one lump sum. It seems like ALLLLLLLLL of my bills are due the SAME WEEK time span! So I need all of my money right then and the rest is for the remainder of the month's food, gas, and extras.

I know it is hard for new teachers... we start up this coming Monday on the 7th. They won't get their first check until Sept. 30TH!! Talk about being BROKE!!

Lori

6. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Aug 3, 2006

we get paid once a month.. it used to be the last working day, but now I think it is the 15th.. they do allow new hires to request one pay advance though, which is nice for them...

what is really weird, though, is if you elect your salary to be divided into 12 months, then on the last day of the year you get ALL your summer checks at once.. and if you have direct deposit, that means that all of your summer funds end up in your bank at the same time. It is hard to make that last..

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 3, 2006

At least in Maine the people would be right. The bigger the check the more money that comes out.

8. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 3, 2006

My school does that, too. I have an ING savings account (no fees, no minimum, FDIC insured), so I just transferred it there. When it was time for a paycheck, I transferred out just that amount back to my checking account. It was nice to manage my money, plus I made some interest, too!

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 3, 2006

When I was subbing, both districts I subbed in paid once a month - on the last working day of the month. Now, the school I am at pays every two weeks on Wednesdays. What's especially great about this is that a few times a year, you get a month with 3 paydays instead of two. It always feels like extra money when that happens. (I just glanced at the calendar and saw that this month is a 3 payday month) Yay!!

10. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 3, 2006

I was in a district that paid once a month and it was rough for me because I had been used to biweekly pay. The hardest for me was if I wanted to splurge on someting, I didn't have more money coming within 2 weeks. A month is a long time to budget. If you are really good with money or if you have a savings account (a spouse with an income would be nice too!!!) then I suppose the once a month pay isn't so bad. I couldn't do it again! I need my money divided up and paid out every other week.

11. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 3, 2006

I really am good with saving money, so I'm not too worried about the money lasting. Thankfully my husband gets paid weekly!! So that will help. My son just got hired at Pizza Hut, so I guess I can always borrow money from him if I get too desperate.:(

12. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 3, 2006

We get paid once a month as well. It used to be the last working day, but they changed it to the 25th of each month now. So I get paid the first day of school! In my county, we don't have the option for 12 month pay, so it really stinks in the summer time!

13. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Aug 3, 2006

We get paid the 25th of the month. My dh gets paid bi-weekly, so we are going to use most of my checks for the big bills and as many of the smalls as we can, plus put money into savings, then his checks will be for blow basically (or more savings if we are really smart :) )

14. Musica

Musica Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

I think that the short pay period is better. If you can caculate your costs per month versus what you get, take that "extra" money every pay period and invest it. I know a lot of banks have savings accounts with around 5% interest that can be linked right to your checking

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 3, 2006

I get paid once a month, and have always had the once monthly paycheck while teaching. Our summer paychecks are put in via direct deposit. When I was single, that last week of the month was always a little lean!

16. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 3, 2006

Thanks for so many responses. I had no idea that being paid once a month was so common for teachers. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone.

17. yclark

yclark Comrade

Aug 3, 2006

I've taught in GA and AL. It was that way in both states. There's always month at the end of the money. But I have to sympathize with new hires, now that I've lived through it twice. Getting hired in the summer, working, planning, setting up a classroom in August and then teaching through September before you get the first check is SO HARD!!! And those of you who don't get paid all summer, I'm a good money manager but I don't want to find out if I'm that good.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2006

Pay periods are a negotiated item. It's probably in your contract. I get paid on the 15th and the 30th of every month. We can opt for direct deposit. We don't have an option of getting paid in the summer. Plan your finances accordingly- set money aside if you have to for between paycheck bills. (and for summer.....ahhhhh the electric bills this summer ......aahhhhhhh!!!!) :eek:

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2006

ImaTeacher can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all public school teachers in Kentucky are paid once per month.

20. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 3, 2006

The taxes are more but the proportion is the same. Its just more because the check is larger once a month.

We get paid once a month and evenly thoughout the summer. Certain stipends (bilingual as an example) are paid either half in dec and half in may or a lump sum in May, depending on the district.

We also have to wait until the 25th of September for that first check but have the option of a 13-month period if you're a first year teacher. That way, you are paid in August too.

I like mangaging a monthly paycheck. My dh gets paid bi-weekly and I find it more difficult.

21. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2006

My district has always paid once per month, and we get paid over 12 months as well. We're paid the fourth Friday of the month. (It used to be the 28th of the month, but that was harder to keep track of, and it was earlier on holidays and weekends.

We're still being paid once a month, but we're going to direct deposit. All of my bills--or the ones I pay anyway--are due from the first to the 18th of the month. I always sit down the day I get paid, arrange all the payments online, and am done for the month!

They'd talked about splitting it to two pay periods a month, but I don't know if they will. I figured I'd just pretend the first monthly check wasn't even there and then when I got the second one of the month just continue as usual.

22. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 3, 2006

I will have my pay directly deposited as well. I also most all of my bills online too. It is so much faster.

23. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 3, 2006

I get paid by direct deposit once a month too on the 15th. My husband gets paid once a month on the last day, so we are spaced out pretty well. Last year was the first year I'd signed up for direct deposit, and now I don't know how I ever lived without it!

24. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Aug 3, 2006

Not unless that has changed within the past 1.5 years...

25. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 4, 2006

I get paid once a month as well.
    I am just happy to finally be making money! My annual salary seems high but after taxes I think that I will have made more money as a waitress!

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2006

All the districts in my area pay once a month. I thought that's how all school districts work. I don't know any districts that pay more often.

27. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

Our district pays us once a month also and my husband gets paid monthly too. It can be difficult if we don't budget our funds since our bills are spread throughout the month. During the summer we can request to get a lump sum for the months we are off but I know teachers who have down this and regretted it. Isn't it sad that I have many co-worker who are single and must hold a second job in order to make ends meet? Will things ever change?

28. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Aug 4, 2006

All the schools I know pay you once a month, even subs and TA's. Now my current district does let you choose a 10, 11 or 12 month pay option as a TA, which is nice. I did choose 11 months which means school begins on Aug 21 and I will get a full check on Aug 31, which will be great!;)
    I am sure the teachers also have that option.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2006

We get paid every second Friday beginning the first Friday back at school. At the end of June we receive our summer pays in one lump sum--always feel rich in July but by the time school starts things are starting to look a little grim!

30. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 4, 2006

We always get paid for the full month of August even though we're only working a week or week and a half of it. That's why we don't get a June check.

31. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 4, 2006

I've always tried to work summer school for fear the money would run out....more time at home = more time to spend $$ .

This summer I didn't work (had a hysterectomy end of June) and I'm liking this staying home and piddling around. Pretty nice!

I think I'll take summers off from now on!

Our summer pay is spread out over the summer but since I only worked 1/2 of the school year, my summer checks are very teeny!
    It's just me and the kids but I still use the money wisely and they aren't deprived of things. Sept. will be here soon and it's going to feel like Christmas when the regular checks start coming again!!! I won't complain about my salary!

32. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Aug 4, 2006

We get paid once a month, at the end of the month. And we have a choice between being paid 10 months out of the year or 12 months out the year. We HAVE to have direct deposit in my county. The only time that it's a little stressful is December to January because last year our break started the 16th of December (or there about) so we got paid that day and didn't get another check until January 31st.

33. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 4, 2006

Yep-the Dec. to Jan. spread is always bad. I already set up a summer cash account with SECU (State Employees' Credit Union) for this school year since we don't have the 12 mo. option. That way they will just pull whatever amount I want out of each month and then I'll have it dumped into my checking in June and July. No worries next summer! This summer has been rough money wise. I won't be working next summer either-the piddling around is way too much fun!

34. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2006

We get paid the second Friday of the month. It stinks about the tax amount. It didn't even occur to me until someone mentioned that. Just another way to pay us less...

35. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2006

One of my friends in northern KY gets paid twice a month.

36. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Aug 4, 2006

We get paid once a month on the 25th as well. We get paid earlier if a holiday is on the 25th, or if it will be a weekend. We also have the option for 10 or 12 months.

37. nwilkaz

nwilkaz New Member

Aug 4, 2006

To answer the taxes question. Taxes are removed via a percentage based on your annual salary and the number of deductions you place on your w-4. True, the larger the check the more $$ in taxes because you are multiplying the amount by a percent. If at the end of the year, you are getting a refund, then raise your number of deductions. Taxes are based on an annual salary, not on how much you earn each paycheck.

I hope that helps.

P.S. we get paid every other Friday!

38. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 4, 2006

I've never understood the deductions and how they work. I still don't know if I list the correct exemptions, Even with your explanation, I'm still confused!
    When will I get it!
    Does anyone else get confused about this?

39. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2006

My first job paid once a month, and that was so unheard of for me! But I got used to it, and thankfully I still lived at home, so the bills weren't all that big for me then. Now I get paid every other Friday. My summer job at Shoprite pays every week...it makes things interesting!

We don't have the option of 12 month pay, but many people who live near our school do the credit union thing and get checks from there over the summer. I miss my normal pay though! This whole summer job and grad school thing isn't as much fun as I thought! And with tuition skyrocketing in NJ...my bank account is crying. But I have direct deposit like other people, and that does help me to save some money. So I'm getting anxious to get back to school...not that I want summer to be over yet, but I want my money! lol

40. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2006

I think I'll be confused for a while still too...so I just call my daddy and ask him what I should do! lol...I'm such a daddy's girl, even at 25!

41. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 5, 2006

I think all of California is once a month--I'm paid the last day of the month. In our district, unless you request "tenthly" payments, it is set up as "twelfthly." (How's that for smooth language?)

In the summer, our checks are slightly increased because no union dues come out ($84.50 a month). I have never heard of a financial disadvantage to being paid once a month...although when I used to do some payroll ages ago, I remember some strange formulas for figuring payroll taxes when employees are paid weekly. It's not always as simple as multiplying by 12 (for months) or 52 (for weeks)! So even if it "seems" like a disadvantage, it may just be too complicated to really know. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! :-D