Pay me already!!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by mommafran, Jan 30, 2012.

1. mommafran

mommafran Companion

Jan 30, 2012

Hello,

I am a new teacher who has decided to sub while I hunt for a "real" job. I live in a fairly small town so I made the "smart" decision of registering with several districts. The problem I am having is that I am so tired of sub orientations and then just "sitting" on an active list. I haven't had a sub job yet but "everyone" during orientations keep telling me they are coming and to be patient.

I NEED TO START MAKING MONEY!! Agggghhhhhhh it feels good to vent. It's been a long day of orientations and I have two more to go!!

3. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jan 30, 2012

Ka-ching!

4. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 31, 2012

Our district has a Substitute Certification class all potential subs must take before they can be approved by the school board. The upside is that this replaces the need for any "sub orientation" at individual schools. Once I received my certification and approval from the school board, I was considered "class ready".

January and February have typically been very slow months for me as a sub and I imagine it would be even more true if I were one of the "new subs" that had just been approved by the school board (our district "approves" subs twice a year; in August and December). I know that doesn't help your current situation, but the calls to sub generally start picking up around the middle of February and continue increasing as the Spring approaches.

In the meantime, this gives you time to get your resume' packages together and in preparation for the hiring season that will start in the next month or two. I know how hard it is to go for a month (or more) without any phone calls to sub. This is my third year subbing during the second half of the year and it is the FIRST time I've actually gotten a decent number of calls in January.

I know it doesn't help right now, but things WILL get better in a few weeks.

5. SetterHugger85

SetterHugger85 Rookie

Jan 31, 2012

Hello! I just started subbing and didn't realize there were two hiring periods....don't worry, it will pick up! I currently work for two districts, one in a small town like mine and another in a city. The city actually tends to try to schedule things in advance with me, so the on-calls are hit or miss. I figured because I am fairly new the calls may be few and far between, but just approach it with a "come what may" attitude initially. For example, I couldn't work yesterday and am still not sure if I will get called today....but am scheduled the rest of the week! I try to count blessings though, and see this as a foot in my door and have another part time job where I make some moola too, on weekends....

I may also tutor and am looking into this, another option for you too?

6. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 31, 2012

Right now sub jobs are a very far and few between around here. I've been talking to the subs that have been subbing for ten years, have a list of teachers they work for and typically work every day and they are struggling with days. Just this morning a secretary texted me to come in and in the 30 seconds it took me to answer her text someone else got to her first. (She sends out group texts to about 5 of us when she's desperate for a sub after school has already started). This whole year has been tough for subs in the area.

I've been getting my stuff together for applications, getting my stuff together for a course I have to plan/teach this summer. And trying to enjoy the time that I am not working, because its not going to last forever.

7. mommafran

mommafran Companion

Jan 31, 2012

@Elateach, the more the better!!

@Cerek, thanks for the pointers its encouraging to know that things will pick up.

@Setter, Great idea, will look into.

@Teach, I am also using this time to work on my ESOL endorsement BUT as a single momma I have to work. It will all work out God willing.

8. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jan 31, 2012

I've noticed that sub jobs are getting slow here too. This is my third year of doing this is the season for teachers to be gone. Stomach flu is going around like crazy and teachers are starting to want a break. However, the jobs are slow.

The district that I sub in almost everyday posted a message on Aesop about having 20 new subs that just graduated. The message made it sound like the district planned to give jobs to them without ever putting it into the system because these "students need work and experience." I don't get it! I need those things too and have been working my rear off to help this district. I've been ready to go for last minute calls and I've had several days where I even did the job of two teachers while getting paid for one. It's really unfair and I'm thinking about complaining to the district. It makes me want to completely stop subbing for them!

9. mommafran

mommafran Companion

Jan 31, 2012

"It's really unfair and I'm thinking about complaining to the district. It makes me want to completely stop subbing for them!"

Be careful about jumping the gun. It may not be right but you don't want to lose jobs on "principle." Just my .02 cents

10. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jan 31, 2012

I agree. I've just been frustrated about it. I think that I might nicely talk to someone about what exactly they meant by the message. It would at least help me be more informed of what's going on with their subbing jobs.

11. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 31, 2012

I would tend to agree but I would also point to the old saying, "the squeeky wheel gets the grease." You don't want to storm in and tell everyone what you think of them, but I think you do want to make your displeasure known. After all, isn't that one of the functions of a HR department? (employee morale)

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2012

In my experience, subs aren't ranked according to seniority. Everyone in the sub pool is on the same level, so they're all equally entitled to jobs. It can be frustrating when a recent influx of new subs means fewer sub jobs for everyone else. The fact remains, however, that they're as entitled to jobs as the veteran subs. It's just one of those things. Was it fair for the subs who had been around before you when you joined the ranks and made fewer jobs available for them? I don't recommend doing any complaining. It's very easy to put subs on the do-not-call list--just a click of a button, really. You don't need that if you're looking for work. Don't make waves that will get you noticed in a bad way. If you're going to get remembered, make it be for some masterful success in the classroom, not for marching into the sub services office, guns blazing, making illogical arguments about fairness.

Good luck to you. I know something will work out in time.

13. Joy

Joy Cohort

Feb 1, 2012

Yes, everyone in the sub pool should be on the same level. That is what I want. However, after asking other subs about it, there are rumors that the district is feeding jobs into their Aesop accounts without putting them into the system. That isn't fair and is certainly not equal opportunity. If they are certified in a specific area and get the jobs over someone who is not, that is fine but to just give them jobs over other subs because they are recent graduates and need to work isn't.

When I first started subbing, I didn't get any free rides at all. I had days where I didn't go out because no one knew me yet. I had to work my rear off to get more jobs and get people to know me. That is part of the way subbing works.

My plans for the situation are to see how it goes a little longer without saying anything about it. The most I would ever do is send an email to the lady in charge of subs and ask what exactly the message meant. Fortunately, I've been pretty busy in the other districts where I sub lately anyway. I think that bringing attention to the whole thing by posting a message about what they are doing with new subs will end up hurting the district in the long run. Other subs will just find work elsewhere and they'll end up being short.

14. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 1, 2012

Joy - I have to echo the concerns of others about complaining or making waves. I understand your feelings completely and I know you plan to be very professional in your approach, but when a district has 20 new subs twice a year and they have 1 sub complaining about the situation, it will be very easy for them to just stop calling the 1 sub completely.

It's the same in my district. With the tough economy, SEVERAL people are going through the certification class each semester and during the summer because most people think subbing isn't that hard and it is something they feel "qualified" to do. I'm not sure how many subs we actually have in the district, but I'm positive the number is well over 100. Some of the subs are retired or un-employed teachers (such as myself). Others are just people that need extra money and see subbing as an easy way to do that.

While I don't know the total number of subs, what I DO know is that our district approves anywhere from 15-20 NEW subs twice a year, so the numbers grow very quickly. My former school has 3 moms that are called regularly to substitute. One, in fact, almost works "full time" just subbing at that school. I did my student teaching at the school and worked as an interim math teacher there last year, but this year, I've gotten 2 calls total to sub there. That's just the way it is. If I decided to complain to the school or the district, I feel confident they could say "Well, I have 20 new subs that would be happy to continue working for us if you don't want to."

I agree it isn't fair to funnel current jobs to the new subs because they need the experience. I also agree that hitting the pavement and busting their backsides to solicit calls from the schools should be part of the job experience as well. Like you said, I certainly did not get any free rides or favors when I first started subbing. I printed business cards and drove to every middle and high school in the district to personally deliver my cards and introduce myself to the P and/or secretary so I could get on their "call list". Even though I now have 3 years experience in the district, with one of those years including work as a licensed teacher, I STILL printed NEW business cards and went BACK to all the other schools again this year when my interim position was not renewed. So I'm with you when you say the new subs need to do the same leg work themselves because that is also "part of the job experience".

Hope things pick up for you and all the other subs out there. It's tough enough getting calls once you're established without having the district deliberately funneling calls to the newbies. Still, I think it would be best to just keep your thoughts (complaints) to yourself and do your best to shine when you ARE in the classroom.

Remember, if the new subs aren't good, they will burn their own bridges and the schools will go back to calling the subs they know they can trust. ;)

15. mommafran

mommafran Companion

Feb 1, 2012

I agree, that one of the functions of a HR department is employee morale. Which in some cases, entails removing anything or anyone that is affecting the morale of others. If you are perceived (fairly or unfairly) as a negative seed then you can bet your "subbing self" that you will be removed from the sub pool quicker that you can say "Jack Robinson." :)

16. Oregon Sub Girl

Oregon Sub Girl Rookie

Feb 27, 2012

You can definitely, politely call the HR person over substitutes. Sometimes they have tips for you. My best advice, though is to introduce yourself at some of the schools you'd most like to work for. Introduce yourself to the secretary and ask if you can introduce yourself to some of the teachers (do this after school, of course).

Good luck, those first few weeks can be very frustrating. Concentrate on getting your first calls and then doing a GREAT job on those jobs.