Pay daycare when child is not there?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by taw24, Aug 30, 2008.

1. taw24

taw24 Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

My neighbor watches my son during the day and she also has one child; she does not watch any other children. She brought up being paid on days that my son will not be there (up to three days) because that is what day care centers do. We do not have contract, and I thought we would only be paying her for days he was there. So...how do we make this compromise? I thought of paying her for certain holidays, but my husband does not agree. What does everyone else do:unsure:

3. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 30, 2008

I am a nanny during the summer and my deal is that we agree on the days and if they change with less than two weeks notice I get paid half. I have been told that is too nice, that I should be paid the full rate for a missed day. I charge because I set aside the time to be there and did not make other plans (other job or personal). If your sitter cancelled on you with no notice and no back up plan you would be in trouble. Please give her the same respect, she is counting on your money and is making her plans for her day accordingly.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 30, 2008

Did she tell you this upfront? If she is going to do that, she needs a contract.

My daughter is in daycare. We get one "vacation" week a year that we don't have to pay that week. So, when we are off the whole week of thanksgiving, we will have to pay because I'm going to save my "vacation" week for December at Christmas. DH isn't fond of the idea but daycares rely on the money and the money holds my child's spot. During the summer I backed off and put her on "part-time" and paid by the day. She went maybe 2x week in June and never went in July, too much going on.

Were you using her for fulltime or part time?

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 30, 2008

:confused:If you area has licensing and she is - then I believe that paying her professionally for your area is best. If she has the choice of licensing and is not, then negotiation is more acceptable. Child Care is not a money maker, and I can see her side (since I own my own program) however, part of being professional is meeting all of the requirements of the field. To be honest I would not pay her the extra if she isn't meeting the requirements of your area.

:huh:Here, we have one week off without the need to pay. We also offer 1/4 pay in the summers to hold a spot. If you miss more than 5 days w/o pay (except in those other instances) your spot goes to wait list and a new family receives a call that their spot has opened. But we are meeting and exceeding the standards in our area.

Talk to her and let her know your side. You need to keep your relationship good in order to remain neighbors and friends (and child friends) after it is all said and done.

6. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

I would talk to her and agree on a set number of days. If, for some reason, he does not go there on those days, then agree on a partial amount. Also, I agree that since she is not licensed, she should not get paid the same amount a licensed person gets paid. Do some research about licensed day care centers. Get some quotes, what they offer there for your child (meals, instruction, etc.), how they work spring breaks/extended holidays/summers). Then, go back and speak with her armed with some information.

Or you could just say. Look, I don't want our friendship to dissolve because of financial issues. I have someone else that is going to take care of him so we can avoid this issue. I'm not sure how to phrase it.

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2008

I know that when my son went to daycare, we paid for the spot whether we used it or not. When I was off during the summer, we paid for it anyway so he'd have "his" place to go back to in the fall.

I agree that you should figure out with your provider what days you'll be using and what she expects from you. It has to be beneficial to the both of you.

8. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 30, 2008

I think with both your situations you just need to negotiate, talk openly. I would offer something like, let's make a month by month schedule and we will both stick to it. If you don't take you son one day, you go ahead and pay for the time she set aside for him. You will want to be the more giving since it is so convenient and your son enjoys it, that is worth a lot!

I think scheduling a month at a time is reasonable because she isn't a daycare or licensed. She also needs to make some small concessions. And that way if she wants to take time off, you will have a lot of notice to make other arrangements.

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2008

I don't have kids, but I know people at work that have to pay to hold the spot over the summer! They are usually bigger chain type places. The home babysitting/day care places seem to be (from what I hear) a little more lax with thier payment.