Pay Cuts in NC

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SouthernBuckeye, Apr 29, 2009.

1. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Apr 29, 2009

Anyone else out there in North Carolina?

We found out last night/this morning about statewide pay cuts. For May and June, we are losing 1/2% of our salary. In "exchange" we get 10 hours of floating furlough. :(

The good news: at least I have a job, and I'm renewed for next year? Yay! And I love my building regardless of pay issues.

Regardless, I don't know when or if any teachers can take the furlough. I doubt they'd pay for a sub for unpaid time off. And the only other workday we have this year is a required one. We're still waiting for news on what we will be doing for this.

:dizzy:

3. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Apr 29, 2009

My husband, a manager at a company, just took a 10%, yes, 10%, pay cut. And we are, like you, saying at least we have jobs. He was not offered any time off or or furloughs. It was take the pay cut or lose your job. It's tough all around, and I hope things look up for you and us.

4. frogger

frogger Devotee

Apr 29, 2009

I'm here in NC too - that's what our question was too - how can we take a furlough? My answer was in July... lol

:whistle:

5. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Apr 29, 2009

I think we have from June until the end of December to use the 10 hours so there will be lots of work days. It still sucks though!

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 29, 2009

I'm happy my job is still around, but I'm not breathing easy yet. I am bummed about the pay cut. For me that's about $75 a check, which is chunk change to some, but a lot for me :(

I still don't understand the paychecks (it's my 1st year.) One person told me to expect $75 taken in May and June, but someone else told me to expect the full $150 t be taken out in May. Anyone?? I chose the 12-month plan.

7. frogger

frogger Devotee

Apr 29, 2009

I don't think anyone really knows - because we have people who are on the 10 month and 12 month plan. If you are on the 10 month plan your last check is May. But 12 month you have a June check so I'm not sure how the State will figure that one out with teachers, if they do or not...:huh:

8. frogger

frogger Devotee

Apr 29, 2009

Yeah I know I was being sarcastic about the July since it's hard enough to get time off during the year with all the regular stuff but now everyone has that 10 hrs to use.

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 29, 2009

So does a floating furlough mean that you just take "sick days" without being paid? Who covers your class?

10. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Apr 29, 2009

I am new to NC and I think I will be losing $75/check. I am on 10 month because I got here too late to sign up for 12 month option. It's quite a bit of money considering I'm trying to save to make it through summer, and plus I am trying very hard to pay off all my bills to be debt free.

I think next year when I pay taxes I'm deducting 1/2% from it and I'll send a note that says, "since you docked my pay, I'm docking yours." ;)

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2009

What exactly does 10 hours of floating furlough mean? When you are gone from class....... someone has to be there (and they will be paid) .... or am I missing the point.

Major........:)

12. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Apr 30, 2009

My parents are NC teachers at the top of the scale (30 years), and 1/2 % is not looking like pocket change, especially as my dad is looking to retire after next year. They too are wondering when exactly they can take 10 hours. I'm betting they can only take it during a teacher workday.

I'm wondering what this is supposed to accomplish? Will it allow the state to retain new teachers, give more money to school systems, or hire new teachers? (the last one I hope so for me) Or is it just a stop-gap measure for our government to stay afloat?

13. Blaster

Blaster Rookie

May 1, 2009

This is all state employees in NC not just teachers. I will be out $235 but I get 10 hours for that. And that is about what I make for one day of work and the 10 hour is 1 and 1/2 of days work. I am coming out ahead. At least I have a job I love. The county is still looking into since it just came out Tuesday. Give your counties times to figure out what they are going to do. If you were working in the real world it is a lot hard. My friends who are county employees in one county in the state are paying $50 a month toward their insurance.

14. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

May 1, 2009

I taught in North Carolina for a year and they have lousy working conditions for teachers. If they are taking 1/2% and using the economy as an excuse, I wonder, did they give you 50% more than what you're making now when the economy was skyrocketing? Did anyone tell them in Raleigh that the economy took an upward swing in April??

15. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

May 1, 2009

I am in NC too and I'm pissed! I won't be able to pay some bills without that $$$!! I am looking for ways to recoup that $$ by looking around my house to see what I can sell just to get by! This is ridiculous!

16. Mrs. T 9thG

Mrs. T 9thG Rookie

May 11, 2009

All teachers are on a 10 month pay schedule. If you signed a "12 month" schedule this simply means that your ten monthly checks were divided into 12 months. This allows teachers to have money "saved" throughout the school year for non-teaching months.

All teachers will have the FULL one half of one percent taken out of our final paycheck this month (May).

The furlough can be taken during optional workdays" and must be used before December.

The pay cut IS a big deal, especially when you are a first year teacher.