Patterns with k-1

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Victoriateacher, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Victoriateacher

Victoriateacher Rookie

Oct 20, 2007

I am a student teacher and I'm just beginning a pattern unit with my k-1 class. The 1's are pretty strong in their patterning skills, whereas the k's haven't done anything. What sorts of pattern activities might you do with a combined class like this?

I am being observed Monday for this lesson. So far I was planning to give each table group a few Halloween pattern strips I've made up to choose from (ABAB patterns only) and have them reconstruct them the patterns onto their own strips. I would give them the option of copying a pattern already represented, or making their own pattern. I have simple Halloween pictures for them to cut out to make their patterns and glue them onto strips of construction paper. Is this too much work for beginning patterning?

Thanks for your help & advice!

3. maroki

maroki Comrade

Oct 20, 2007

Maybe for the 1s you could have them work on more difficult patterns: AAB, ABC, AABC, etc....and for the Ks they could stick with the ABAB patterns.

4. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Oct 20, 2007

What you have is really great. Here's some extra ideas:

Ssk the 1's to make more than one pattern. Have them label their patterns below the clip art (or whatever you are using).

Give the 1's samples of patterns and tell them to find as many AB, ABB, ABC, etc patterns and sort them into piles. Throw in some that are not patterns. Ask them to find the ones that aren't patterns. They should be able to explain why something is or isn't a pattern - it doesn't repeat, I can make it a pattern if I change ____. Something like that.

For the K's, when I demonstrate, I like to stress that I am using only 2 things to make a pattern. The first time I demonstrate, I use magnets that are 2 colors. I put them on my dry erase board, and I show them how to sort them into 2 groups. Then I ask the students to choose the color I should begin with. I put those magnets on the left side, I draw a circle around them with my dry erase marker, and underneath, I label them A. I move the B to the right side, and circle/label those magnets as well. I tell them that I'm going to take turns to make my pattern, take one from the A group, and one from the B group.

As an extention activity, make patterns in line as well - girl/boy, by age, we also make patterns by class (since the AM and PM classes overlap, we make a pattern by lining up the morning class, then the afternoon class).

Good luck!

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2007

I agree. My pre-ks can do more complicated patterns so you know K-1 can probably manage more.

6. Victoriateacher

Victoriateacher Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

Thank you very much for your feedback! I was pretty sure this would be easy for the 1's but didn't want to go too quickly for the k's. Labeling the patterns is a great idea for my 1's as well!

7. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Oct 22, 2007

I also do patterns with movement. Clap-stomp, snap-clap-clap, etc. And most K kids will get AB pretty quickly, but some won't be able to see it, you'll just have to see how well they pick it up. Good luck!