Patterning in calendar

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ebennett, Jul 25, 2006.

1. ebennett

ebennett New Member

Jul 25, 2006

Does anyone happen to know the order in which we introduce patterns during calendar? I know to start out with AB then AAB but I can't remember the order for the rest of the year. I would appreciate any help. It is driving me CRAZY!

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2006

I do AB then ABC. Once the students seem to be able to identify, complete, and copy patterns, then I move on to the next type. So, you may want to watch your kiddos and observe them when making their own patterns to see if they've grasped an AB pattern before moving to a ABC or even a AAB.

4. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 26, 2006

just a quick question about your patterning with calendars. Do you use calendar dates with specific patterns?? and if you do, do you make them on your own or do you buy them somewhere? thanks!

5. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 26, 2006

I made my own calendar patterns because I didn't realize that you could buy some great ones. (The kind that comes with the Everday Counts Calendar Math package)

I do the basic AB, AAB, ABC, patterns in the beginning. Later in the year I have two different basic patterns going at once. For example, in December my calendar shape are all gifts. The package color goes in an ABC pattern, and the bowties on the packages go in an AB pattern. My January snowflakes have 2 colors that go in an AB pattern, but the sizes of the snowlakes go in an ABC pattern.

I probably could have done a little bit more with the patterns on my calendar though, besides just sticking with the Holiday theme. The "Everday Counts Calendar Math" has themes like "measurement"...and at the end of the month you could sort the calendar days into groups. "things that measure liquid" "things that measure weight", etc.
    I feel like since I spent so much time making my own pattern this year that I'll stick with it, but next year I'm definately going to look into the calendar math thing.

My calendar: (not exactly the perfect order...)
    AB, ABC, AAB, ABAC, ABC|AB, AB|ABC, AABB, ABCDEFG, ABC..., ABBC

6. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 26, 2006

I used the "Everyday Counts Calendar Math" at my old school and I really liked it. But, we do not have it at my new school. Do you know if you can just buy the calendar dates seperately? If so, do you know where? I would really like to look into that! Thanks!