Pattern lesson help

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by disneyjen0504, Oct 24, 2006.

1. disneyjen0504

disneyjen0504 Rookie

Oct 24, 2006

Hi! I am student teaching in kindergarten and I really love it. I am trying to come up with a good anticipatory set, a hook, for a lesson I am doing. For those familiar with the Investigations curriculum, I will be doing a lesson titled "Make a train" in which the students will be using interlocking cubes with a partner, rolling dice and making a train of cubes. The main objective is that they will be learning to view patterns as "units" (blue, green, blue, green isn't the pattern, but rather blue, green is the unit that repeats.) OKAY-so my problem is, I need a good hook for this lesson. A good children's story or something related to patterns, or the like. I am having some trouble finding something good to kick off the lesson. I will be observed for this lesson so I want to make sure it is great!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thank you!!!!!!

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2006

Well, this may not sound all "glizty", but what I usually do is relate what we're learning to what we've been doing in class. Like, I would say, "you know how we've been learning patterns during calander time? Well, today, we're going to play a fun game about patterns! You will be making your very own pattern with a partner!" My hooks aren't too long because I like to get into the actual meat of the lesson.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 27, 2006

I will be "puzzling" out a hook for you all night. This is a very interesting lesson.

I am sure the lack of replies indicates how hard it is.

If I think of a reply, I will post it. Let us know if you think of something.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 27, 2006

I have been thinking, but have not come up with any useful ideas. I think I understand your concept. Your pattern is a repeating blue,green. So what comes in two's? Mom and Dad? Shoes, soxs, mittens?

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2006

Well, it doesn't exactly relate to identifying the unit, but two fun books about patterns are "Pattern Fish" and "Pattern Bugs" both by Trudy Harris. Two other books sort of related to patterns are "A Pair of Socks" and "My Mom and Dad Make Me Laugh." I don't remember the authors at the moment.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 28, 2006

Would books with a repeating line work. Like Three Little Pigs--he huffed and he puffed.

8. disneyjen0504

disneyjen0504 Rookie

Oct 28, 2006

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. :)
    I am trying to decide exactly what to do. I will keep you posted!
    Thanks again!