Patriotism mini demo lesson

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kassrose, May 23, 2010.

1. kassrose

kassrose Companion

May 23, 2010

Patriotism mini demo lesson - edited!

For an interview, I have to teach a patriotism lesson for 3rd grade. I have ten minutes. I was thinking of teaching the history the flag, since there are lots of visuals. Thoughts? Do you think the history of the flag is obviously related to patriotism or should I go for something more obvious like the Constitution or George Washington? I also thought about talking about voting.

Thanks!

EDIT****

I decided to do a lesson on Memorial Day since there was a state standard about it. I have posted my lesson plan below. Please critique, but remember it can only be a ten minute lesson.

Title: Memorial Day

Objectives:
    The student will be able to identify the purpose of Memorial Day and articulate its importance as it relates to patriotism.

State Standard:
    Grade 3 Social Studies
    Strand 3: Civics/Government
    Concept 1: Foundations of Government
    Performance Objective 4d: Describe the significance of national holidays: Memorial Day.

Learning materials: whiteboard, pencils, flag journaling sheets (found here: http://www.firstnetsource.com/american_flag_graphic/high_quality_image/bw/USA_Flag_Outline.gif)

Classroom organization: Students will participate in this lesson as a whole group with occasional partner sharing.

Anticipatory set: (1 min)
    Write the word “memory” on the board. Ask the students what a memory is. Take answers.

Discussion: (7 min)
    Erase the “y” and add the letters “ial” to for the word “memorial”. Ask the students for a thumbs up if they have ever heard of this word. Now, add the word “day” after “memorial”. Ask the students to think-pair-share about this holiday. Take answers.

Guiding questions:
    Who knows when Memorial Day is?
    Do we have school on this day? Why/why not?
    Who are we celebrating on Memorial Day?
    Why do you think the soldiers that we honor on Memorial Day chose to fight for our country?
    What is a word that means “to show love for one’s country”?
    How can we show patriotism?

Activity: (2 min)
    Pass out flag journaling sheets. Ask the students to write down a way that they can show patriotism/love for their country this Memorial Day.

Extension:
    Create a bulletin board with the title “We are proud to be Americans” and post the students’ flag papers. Ask them to report back after Memorial Day on how they showed patriotism over the holidays.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 23, 2010

I think Patriotism is an active word. It's about people DOING things.

I would concentrate on some obvious (though maybe not well known) examples of Patriotism.

Maybe talk about the members of the Secret Service, who vow to get between a bullet and the president?

I'm not sure that 3rd graders would see the link between the symbol of American patriotism and the actual practice of it.

4. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

May 23, 2010

First and foremost, is what you're teaching aligned heavily with the third grade district curriculum? If your ideas do, then pick one you think would be the most fun and most hands-on for the students to be actively learning.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 23, 2010

From doing a little research, it doesn't look like social studies is a tested subject in third grade in Arizona. Otherwise, I'd say to end with a released test item that went with the content of your lesson. There's a big push for that here.

One of the POs says something about understanding Memorial Day. With that holiday coming up, that could be a good lesson. (It's Concept 3, PO 4d, btw.) You could ask them if they know what a memory is, and why we may have a special day set aside to remember soldiers who died for us. Maybe give them a brief history of the holiday?

Or, look closely at Strand 3, Concept 4. It's got some good stuff. Look at the third grade curriculum for Louisiana to get some ideas for good activities you can adapt. (Units four and six are the ones that most closely align to what you're doing.) http://doe.louisiana.gov/lde/saa/2108.html

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  6. kassrose

kassrose Companion

May 24, 2010

Thank you! This is perfect!

7. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

May 25, 2010

Don't forget to include which state standards you are addressing with your written lesson plan! When I was offered the job I have now, my principal was very impressed that I had researched the school's improvement plan and wrote up a lesson plan that addressed it and cited the state standards!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 26, 2010

You could include a part about pledging allegiance to the flag. Most 3rd graders know the pledge but have no idea what the concept is.

9. kassrose

kassrose Companion

May 26, 2010

I thought about that, but couldn't find a standard to match.