Path to becoming a teacher in New York

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CRK0116, Jun 22, 2017.

1. CRK0116

CRK0116 New Member

Jun 22, 2017

Hello all, first time posting here, so go easy on me.
    First, some background. I have known that I want my career to be teaching (math in particular) since I was about 16. At 23, I still feel as strongly as I did then about it. I'm not "falling back" on teaching, it is my first choice.
    I live in New York, and plan to try to work here. In fact, the only other state possible, would be Connecticut, but that is in the future. Since graduating from SUNY Binghamton with a BA in math, I've been working filler jobs to pay the bills. Since I mistakenly did not take any education classes while in school, I've been looking at the alternative paths to teaching available in New York, specifically Path B. I wish to teach high school math, so I have the correct degree.
    The hang up is that it lists a 2.5 GPA as a requirement. I got a 2.4 GPA thanks to some self-motivation issues I struggled with throughout college. In fact I probably only graduated because FASFA made me. I blame myself, but it leads to my question for anyone familiar with a situation like this one.
    Is it possible that I could somehow petition into the program with my subpar grades? Would taking the various testing required for certification beforehand possibly help my case? I don't have the grades to prove, but I have a strong grasp of the material and a strong desire to make other people love math as much as I do. Is it worth giving it a shot, or is there something else I should be doing to try and become a teacher?
    Thanks for reading!

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 23, 2017

Call NYSUT in Albany. They are the ones who can guide you in the right direction.

CRK0116 likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 23, 2017

I have only come across 2 districts (out of over 50 that I've applied to) who looked at my transcripts in the 19 years since I graduated from college so that might not be a problem. Could you take some extra math classes to boost your GPA? I don't know how that works. Also, you could just go for your Masters in Education and you will be able to get your certification and possibly a decent looking GPA. Before you call Albany, see if there's a certification department at Binghamton that could help you. I know New Paltz has one and even though I didn't go there they helped me with some questions I had.

5. CRK0116

CRK0116 New Member

Jun 23, 2017

Looking at the Binghamton program it appears to be even more strict, requiring a 3.0. It also want recommendations from math professors, who I never got to know because I was busy with work. I'm starting to think this is a lost cause.

6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  7. CRK0116

CRK0116 New Member

Jun 23, 2017

Moving isn't much of an option, living at home right now. I suppose I'll contact the School of Education at Binghamton and see what they have to say about my situation.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2017

You might want to consider repeating some of the lowest GPA courses on your transcript, since the higher grade would then stand on your transcript and count on you GPA. That may be cheaper than trying to take grad courses to raise your GPA, and your grasp of the content knowledge might be much higher the second time around, so a win/win. It also shows the powers that be in the AR program that you have the gumption to fix old problems even as you look to change and the future.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 24, 2017

Grad schools as far as I know are very strict on GPA requirements. 2.5 is even considered a low minimum. Most ask for a 3.0. Try retaking some courses to boost your GPA first.