Past first half of ST and fired (dropped) in second half. No word from anyone

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Kristi62, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Kristi62

Kristi62 New Member

Jan 4, 2020

I was fired from the second half of student teaching. I was told I wasn't making enough progress and connecting with the students. It was also stated I always had an excuse for when things didn't pull together. On my side, I had a placement for ELS secondary with a master teacher who was ELD director at the middle school. The classes I was ST in were 7th grade ELA, where half the class was ELD 3 and 4. The other 2 classes were actually a core class of ELA and ELD for 1 and 2's. I was having a lot of trouble trying to work the ELD into my teaching while working on my lesson plans for the subject. After 5 weeks, the master teacher and I agreed that the placement was not one that would prepare me for ELA classes in general, so I was placed in a new assignment. The overall idea was that I had not failed, that it was not a good match for an ELA student teaching position.

But when I got to my new assignment, 10 days later, I went in as a failed ST. Now I also had to start over with observing and working into teaching 4 classes. I was now in a high school with a 9th grade pre-AP Engish and a 12th-grade ERWC class, a new Engish class put together by the Cal State schools.

I was doing really well leading up to taking over the classes. That is when it all fell apart. I came down with the flu as I was starting the transition. I took 2 days off and my supervisor sent me an email yelling at me that I had not told her and that I was only allowed 3 sick days for the semester. This came the morning of my second day staying home. I had sent both master teachers all the information on what I was going to teach with all the material ready to go, figuring that was my most important thing to do, and then get to my supervisor.

Then the schedule I laid out for the Unit of Romero and Juliet wasn't tight enough for my Master Teacher. So I tightened it up. Then she asked me to teach the opening the next day, 4 days before I was set to start. I jumped through hoops to get all my materials together and taught the class. I finished the class with a 321 assessment from the students and found that almost no one understood what the story was about.

So I decided to reteach that class differently. There are more details on this that we're all used against me. This class was also my observation from my supervisor. At the end of the class, my supervisor, master teachers, and the department head all sat down and pretty much said I was fired for not advancing in my teaching skills.

This went down 2 weeks before Thanksgiving. I have not heard a word from anyone except they had to wait until the state level supervisor to get back to them for a meeting.

I was also told that my seminar class for my TPA would be given an IP, in process, so that I could finish it when I got back into ST. Well, today I saw my grade and it was a U.

Oh and another point, I got a pass for my student teaching class and my TPA seminar class as well as passing my TPA 1.

I am asking for insight partly and also would like to know if it is possible to go to another University to complete just my Student teaching. I don't know if they are going to kick me out of the program, something I feel is a good possibility.

I am 57 years old. Long story on how I got here from my other careers. I have student loans to pay back, debt to pay back for not being able to work during ST, and am taking care of my parents, along with my own household. I am depressed now more than I have ever been before and do not know what to do.

Sorry, this is so long, there is another thread that sounds like another student I have had classes with wrote, so I know I am not alone on being left out to dry.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2020

If this is clinical depression, then the first thing I would recommend is getting an appointment with your family doctor and finding out if there is medication that you should be on, for the relatively short term, which may make it easier for you to see what needs to be done. I am certain that some reeducation in particular coursework would be beneficial. To answer your question about doing ST at another university, I am going to say no. ST is a culmination of all of your course work, and other universities may not feel comfortable accepting someone for ST when it isn't what they taught you, especially since you have, essentially failed ST elsewhere. Get your act together, in an organized presentation, and fight for another chance at your current university. I don't know what state you are in, but you can graduate without student teaching if all else fails, and possibly go alternate route to teaching. Not ideal, but a possibility in most states.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 5, 2020

I was also going to say that you can probably graduate without the student teaching, but you will not have your teaching credentials. Here you can go the alternative route where you teach in your own class while getting your certification. Essentially student teaching in your own classroom. However, that is difficult because you have no support in class, which you probably need if you struggled with other placement.

Have you considered subbing?

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jan 5, 2020

You have a lot on your plate and it is no wonder you are feeling depressed.
    Taking care of your parents and own family is a lot of work.
    I am really sorry it turned out like this for you.
    From what you are saying about the Unsatisfactory and Failed, the University lied to you. I do not really believe in suing people, but you may have a case. It might be something to think about because student loans are treacherous.
    Are you at a public or private U? If they are flunking you, they obviously did not do enough to prepare you, but they took your money up to the very end. If they did not think you were prepared, they should have steered you towards another career or given you extra classes or advice. That should be and is standard practice in most U's.
    Have you asked or they offered ideas on how to fix this or what to do next? Do they expect you to take ST again?
    Do you REALLY want to teach? If yes, you could do the alternative route. Universities want you to do your methods courses w/ them before they let you ST. If not, can you pick up 1 more semester of Psych or SW basic classes? There are a lot of jobs you can get in these fields.
    I am older too and am not sure if others will mention this, but there is a lot of age discrimination in education. The job I am in now, I got at a young looking 40, w/ good references, years of experience, and the P wanted me because I'd worked w/ him in a different capacity.
    Since then, I have noticed people in their mid 30's w/ experience make up most of new hires. I have never known a person 50 + that was even hired. I am curious if others on this board have seen the same pattern.
    There are a lot of older teachers, but they were hired at younger ages. I know a lot of older teachers who could not get jobs here, and they really believe it is age discrimination. Two are really lovely ladies who would be an asset to any school. It may be different where you live. ( If there are tons of jobs open or if you know a P who will help you out.)
    I wish you the best of luck. Do you go to church or have a counselor who can help you get through this hard time in your life? You need all the support you can get with so many responsibilities and this disappointment. Figure out what's next w/ the university. Meet w/ your advisor. Having unanswered questions just makes it harder. <3

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2020

Absolutely true. Sadly.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. Kristi62

Kristi62 New Member

Jan 5, 2020

8. Kristi62

Kristi62 New Member

Jan 5, 2020

It is a private college, a lot of teachers in my area have at least their masters through them.
    As far as being given advice, I haven't been contacted by anyone at the college about this after the first few days when my supervisor wanted some information. That was before Thanksgiving. I did contact people on my own, a professor I had for a class at the time and another person who I believe is my supervisor's supervisor. I was told it would take time for the supervisor at the state level of the credentialing department to decide what to do with me and a few others who didn't complete ST. The report I saw at the end of the first week I was removed from my ST position said it was recommended I redo ST. But I don't know anything more.

As for wanting to teach and being ready, the fact is I have done long term subbing (I know different that my own class) and am well prepared to start my ST. It was the fumbles that the supervisor made with my first assignment and the waisted time until I was reassigned that set me back. Basically I had lost 8 weeks of my 18-week program and was running to catch up the whole time I was in my new assignment. I might have been fine, except I got the flu, and kept working. I was really sick and not able to do my job because of that. I should have stayed home and put off my observation, but my supervisor came down hard on me for missing the 2 days I did take off.

I just want to know what is going to happen next. There is no one to call or talk to about it because there is only one person who knows and she hasn't told anyone.

I have everything documented, including info from my doctor. When looking through it all it boils down to anything that could go wrong did go wrong. I also didn't feel I had support from the school side for guidance. I would love to have had someone who knew what was happening and could have given me advise and help. I hope that the little I hear about retaking ST is true, that they set you up with someone to work with. I just hope they are not just there to be a cop and watch my every move, but to help and guide me.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 5, 2020

We hired an over-50 teacher. He was retired military doing an alternative certification program. He interviewed great, and he had been a good substitute teacher. Having his own classroom, not so much. :( He was let go after one year.

I know of one other teacher who is close to my age, but probably older, we hired this year. She hasn’t been teaching long. I think she is doing okay. Another is fairly close to my age. He changed careers. It is his second year with us. He is doing well. Usually we get younger applicants, though. Our older applicants have ties to our community. Sometimes the younger ones apply just to get a job, and then they leave in a year or two. We prefer to hire those with plans to stay long term.

10. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Jan 5, 2020

I must have been 47 when I subbed and 48 when I was hired as a teacher. Prior to completing my teacher cert. I worked a year as a para. I got low pay but good benefits. If money is not an issue and you are still committed to being an educator, I would take the BA and run, then get a job as a f/t para. Nobody expects you to be perfect as a para.. or young either! Most of the paras and support staff I worked with were parents and grand parents.

11. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jan 10, 2020

I hope this is true too for you. That is such a bummer.