Password help

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Missy, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 24, 2014

Ok, I am the first to admit I am not at all techie, but I do TRY.

I am so frustrated because I spent an hour this morning looking for a password I had "jotted" down and then spent half an hour fighting with Google because I simply did not understand what some of their "recovery" questions really meant, so I couldn't answer them.

I am looking for help with a simple but secure way to store all of this info; I am sure there is something better than a little notebook in my purse!

PS - I am not looking for criticism because I don't already know this.:)

Thanks!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 24, 2014

No criticism at all! Rockhubby is back in the computer security business (Geology work is not happening), and he recommends http://keepass.info/ or something like it to his clients. As long as you can remember ONE password, you can retrieve ALL of them.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 24, 2014

You can write them down in a draft memo to yourself that you keep in a folder in your inbox. I do the old-fashioned thing and keep a rolodex with account numbers and passwords. It works.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 24, 2014

6. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Jun 24, 2014

LastPass is another service that does what you're describing: you remember one master password and it keeps all the other ones for you. I find it super convenient because it is available as a browser extension so it's easy to manage. It also generates random, secure passwords, so that is also handy. :)

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2014

I use KeePass as well. I have KeePassX installed on my Mac, MiniKeePass on my iPhone, and KeePassDroid on my Nexus Tablet. I use Dropbox to store the file which allows all of those programs to access my stored passwords. There are a couple of places where I still use my go-to password, but those are now rare.

If you do not want to use KeePass or something like that, then another idea I read was to write a sentence about the website. Something like, "shareideaswithteachers" for AtoZ.

When I used to work for MindBody, I was asked to come up with a sentence and then use the first letter of each sentence to come up with my password. That seemed to help as well.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 24, 2014

Thanks, everyone! Just the help I needed.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 24, 2014

Admittedly, I am password lazy. I know, I know, this can be dangerous, but I am. I have variations of the same password, some with numbers, some capital letters, some symbols. Mine is a phrase that only I know, similar to this:

Mary Had A Little Lamb Whose Fleece Was White As Snow!

would become:

Mha11wfwwas! (the 1's are l's)*

It changes slightly, like the capital letter changes, or it's a question instead of an exclamation, but basically it stays the same, so I can always figure it out within 3 tries :lol:

*not my actual password!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 24, 2014

Cute!

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 25, 2014

I think of a word I know I will remember and substitute some letters with numbers and capitalize a couple random letters as well.

waffles=w4fFl35

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2014

I have a spreadsheet with all of my passwords.