Passing out textbooks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TerriInCa, Aug 24, 2012.

1. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 24, 2012

I need a system for passing out textbooks.

I have a tiny room. I have 1 bookshelf that holds my students SS & Science textbooks.

The students DO NOT have room in their desks for these books. I cant use crates for each table group the administration vetoed that idea. I cant get more furniture, I don't have room.

On Thursday I spent 10 minutes passing out and collecting SS books. Today the same happened when I had students help pass out Science books.

So when the time came for SS I gave up and did the vocab lesson with out the books. BUT I need to use the books.

SO anyone have any ideas on how to pass them out quickly and effeciently?

:thanks:

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 25, 2012

Maybe store something else like supplies on the book shelf creating more room in the desks?

4. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 25, 2012

Tried that. The desk only fits 1 textbook.

As an adult I can get 2 in, but the kids cant.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

Crates at the ends of rows or tables?

6. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 25, 2012

Not allowed. Dont have enough floor space anyway :(

7. MsG

MsG Companion

Aug 25, 2012

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

How do you have the books organized? Can you put the books into crates by tables and keep the crates on shelves in the classroom? This way a student can come up and grab a crate or the books in a crate for their table.

Maybe you can color code the books by table? Use book covers to make each table have a different colored book so that a few students can quickly grab the books for their table.

Do students need to use the same book all year? Could they just come up and grab any book.

Maybe if you know you will use the books in the morning, students could grab it first thing in the morning and store it under their desk. You could do the same thing after lunch if you will use the book in the afternoon. This way students have them and then you only have to worry about collecting them back up at the end of the period (or morning or afternoon).

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 26, 2012

My students don't have room for their SS or Science textbooks in their desks.

I have the SS and Science textbooks on a bookshelf. Whenever we need one of those books, the team leader (each group has a team leader) will get a textbook for their entire team. This normally takes under one minute because they're so used to doing it. When books need to be returned, the team leader will return the books (for his/her entire team) to the bookshelf. Again, it only takes a minute or two for every team leader to complete this task.

Give this a try! Train your kids first, of course, but I'm certain it'll work!!!

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2012

I have several different things stored in different areas of the classroom (word study notebooks, journals, textbooks, art boxes...). I tell four kids to "Take 4 journals and hand them out." It goes pretty quickly, especially once they get used to the routine.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 26, 2012

Here is how you can get it down to 2 minutes.

1. Have half your books on one shelf and the other half on a different shelf on a different part of the room. This will ease congestion of all students going to the same place.

2. Print out on a computer (fastest method) or write on a piece of paper each student's name. They should be less than 1 inch tall in size. Then you or an aide cut these out and tape them on the book after school or during a prep period. (This should only have to be done once in a year). If you are concerned with students picking them off let them know their will be a prize for anyone who still has their names stuck on their books at the end of the ______ (year, month) (your choice).

**Even easier could be not to assign a book for each student so you don't have to put names. We are required to though at our school.

3. Model for them the correct way for them to get their book.

4. Make it a game. Make clear rules (no running and no purposely touching another student). Then having one row or 2 tables go at a time, have them get the books and return. Have a stop watch on SMARTBOARD or in hand and see if they can beat 3 minutes, and then 2 minutes.

5. Practice, practice, practice. After 3 or 4 times of practicing they will get quite good at this. You will also see what they are doing right and wrong, so you gently show them the best way to get their book.

6. Once you see what they are capable of use an incentive adding points if they beat the clock AND do it with indoor voices.

I did this with 3rd grade, and it works great after some practice. The first few times are often a disaster, but by the 4th time and some modeling by me they are usually great at it. It saves me SOOOO much time over the length of a school year.

12. First School

First School Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

Chair Pocket is really a good idea if you have no floor space left. For the same no need to put extra furniture work. Now a days lots of chair pocket available in different size and style. Only you need to select the size OF chair pocket.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 28, 2012

I think it's really a situation where you need to train, retrain, and practice practice practice! Be very matter of fact about it. It shouldn't take 10 minutes to get books from a shelf. Practice routes from each desk/table to the shelf, and routes back. Practice how many books should be grabbed.

At my old school, my kids had zero personal storage at their tables. They each had a part of a cupboard where they kept their books. We would find opportune times to get books-I'd give them 5 minutes bathroom/drink breaks instead of just 3, but they had to have their book by the time that 5 minutes was up. We would also get all morning books first thing, then right before lunch we'd put away morning books and get out afternoon books. They just kept them stacked on a corner of their table.