Passing notes

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Irishdave, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2007

Passing notes have always been a problem in schools.
    In another thread a poster said something about student privacy.
    How do you handle it?

When ever I "catch" a note I will scan it for safety reasons.
    Usually other students will plead with me to read (aloud) the note.
    At this point the kid is turning white.
    I usually say something like "Wow:
    • a recipe for Rice Krispy treats",
      a recipe for Chilly dogs" or some other funny food
      The Da Vinci Code"
      the lost chapter to Harry Potter”
    This stops the embarrassment, disappoints the "evil" little kids who just love to see other kids suffer.
    The unintended peer pressure (attempted ridicule) from the the other kids is usually enough to stop it for a while.

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2007

awww...you're such a sweet teacher :love:
    I teacher PreKinder so we don't have any of this going around. If I worked with older students, I have always entertained the thought of reading notes in front of the class, but when I put myself in their place...I just couldn't do it. I love the way you take care of the situation. I'm sure the "little writer" doesn't do it again. :eek:

Love this site,
    Sandra

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

When I intercept a note, I drop it into my desk drawer without opening it. Later, when the kids aren't there, I do look at it; I feel that I need to know what is in there, but no one else does. There have been times when the content has been something that either administration or a counsellor needs to address, but, again, it can be dealt with privately without the rest of the class knowing.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

When I see notes being written, passed, or read during class, I quietly walk over to the student and remove the note. Most other students aren't even aware that I've confiscated a note because I do it in subtly and without confrontation. I place the note in my desk and scan in later in the day in order to make sure that it doesn't contain any red flags. If it's very amusing (a colleague of mine found a love note that ended with "Let nothing stand in between our love except Latex"), I bring it to lunch where the art teacher will recite the note in a loud, Shakespearean accent for us teachers who need to lighten up our day a little bit--never in front of a student.

I truthfully see no privacy violation here because the student should not be writing notes, passing notes, or reading notes during my class. If the student is concerned with privacy, he or she should conduct that conversation elsewhere--just as I would never hold a personal conversation on my cell phone in the middle of class.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2007

I have no problem with reading the note and reacting to what's in it... but not in front of the class. Last year a 7th grader got 2 demerits because of what was in a note I intercepted.

I can't imagine actually reading it to the class or anything. You know how cruel kids can be to each other; I would hate to read aloud their opinions of their classmates.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 7, 2007

I usually do the quiet swoop and grab. The kids are used to me being all over the place so they don't always notice. If they do and ask me to read it I will either shake my head and continue what I was doing or, depending on the kid I will be more dramatic. I had one little boy last year who thought he was the class Romeo (why do harmones have to hit at 5th grade?) He kept writing notes to different little girls tell them about his "never gunna die luv" for them. The kids knew what it was when he would pass a note so I started in for a hug and told him that he had even spelled my name right, and even though I truly did love him that a marriage between us would never work. I laid it on thick. He blushed and went with the joke. I do let my kids write notes (depending on the behavior of the class), but they have to be delivered outside of class. They also know if I find the note and it has anything ugly in it then they will be punished just the same as if they spoke the words.

8. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 7, 2007

My 4th graders were really bad about this last year. When I'd see a note I'd walk over and trade them the note for a detention slip. Then I'd put the note in my desk and read it later. This cut down on note passing (although it did cause a major increase in tattling - they loved telling on others who passed notes).

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 7, 2007

I walk over and without saying anything, take the note away. I put it in my pocket, or if I don't have pockets that day, in my desk drawer. I do look at it later, but I don't say anything in front of the class. I completely ignore any requests to read it aloud or other comotion, and go on with what I was doing.

10. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 7, 2007

I intercepted a note last year where a kid was telling another kid that he ran away last night and was sleeping at a friends. His parents didn't know where he was at (why come to school?). So you do have to read the notes, but not to the whole class. Of course I called admin and they took care of it, but how sad would that have been if I would have read that aloud.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 7, 2007

This is a great response and sounds like something I would do! I love it!

12. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I always put the note in my pocket and continue teaching. However, at a later time I talk with the kid in private and let them know that note passing won't be tolerated and the next time a consequence will be involved.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2007

At school I have a great poem about note passing. Basically, it's a "conversation" in notes between 2 students about a note (which professes one student's "love" for another) that falls into the wrong hands and some "blackmail" results. It's hilarious! Unfortunately, I can't get into school to get it for another couple of weeks, but I'll post it once I get my hands on it!

14. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

At the high school where I worked a couple of years ago, the kids would pass notebooks, and would keep adding letters to the notebook. I told them that I wouldn't take it the first time I saw it....that I would wait until it looked ragged and full of "juicy gossip." That stopped all but two notebooks from showing up in my class.

One was harmless. The other...well, the girl begged & cried to get it back, so I read it after class & had to turn it in to admin, as the girl & her friend had details of their drug deals written down in the notebook! If I told them once, I told them a thousand times - NEVER put anything in writing that you don;t want the whole world to know.

15. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I do exactly what steph-ernie does. I quietly take it and put it away and act like nothing happened. The kid usually is FREAKING inside, I know I would've been. If it's the first time, I usually correct it for grammar and give it back w/ a talking to for the student who wrote it. The kids think that it is HILARIOUS that I do that. If I catch them a second time I make a call home and save a copy for my files.

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 9, 2007

I teach first grade but I just HAVE to share...

Once I caught a student passing a note to another... I was so shocked that they were passing notes in first grade!! When I read the note later it said...

"Gaby, Can you please tell Taylor to stop talking about mummies because they scare me."

IT WAS SOOOO CUTE!!!!!! But we still had to talk about how we have a classroom mailbox. If you want to write a letter to another student and put it in the mailbox then fine, as long as it's not during MATH!!! haha.

17. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2007

I had a note passing problem last year. They were passing love notes to each other and this was first grade. It all stopped when I took one away from a child, read it to myself and then smiled at the 2 kids. I didn't catch passing anymore notes.