Passing gas during class??

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by teachin4ever, Apr 22, 2008.

1. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Apr 22, 2008

It wasn't me!!! :)

I was subbing for a first grade class and they were sharing stories they had written and while one boy was reading his, another boy passed gas (loudly)! Of course, the entire class erupted in uncontrollable giggles and it took literally about five minutes to calm them down and get them focused again. Even after most of the class had composed themselves, all it took was one student to stifle a giggle and the class lost control again.

I know I'm not the only one this has happened to, but I really was at a loss of what to do. :blush: Do you let them laugh and get it out of their systems? Do you try to settle them down quickly and ignore it? I'm not real sure about the best way to handle this situation. What do you guys think?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2008

I find that by ignoring it, they don't settle down. I let them get all their laughs out. Of course give them a time limit, "I'm going to give you 2 minutes to get all the giggles out. After that you will have to pull your clip (or whatever behavior management system is in place)"

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2008

if there are uncontrollable giggles I just say "OOPS! Excuse you! We all do that sometimes" and then I say to the child who is reading- "Keep going"...with a look on my face that I expect all to be listening...

5. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Apr 22, 2008

LOL!!! Yup, it's happened a few times!!! It's a funny thing!!! What are you going to do??? I'd be giggling myself and Just say whoops and move on!

6. storyh

storyh Companion

Apr 22, 2008

I had one student ( the same one) burp & pass gas everyday of state testing. I finaaly had enough and told her that when she had to do it do it as quietly as possible and to take Gas -X before she came to school the next day.:) lol

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 22, 2008

I have one that had the same problem during 1st grade. His parents put him on a stool relaxer, and we haven't had lots of problems with it. At the beginning of the year he did it to see if he could get away with it. I promptly told him that it was inappropriate and not welcome in my classroom.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 22, 2008

I had one student with really bad gas for the first few months of school. It was so bad that the mother took him to the doctor and was told to take him off of dairy. It was always loud and he never admitted to doing it. He would even go as far as to cover his nose. His farts smelled so much that some days my classroom smelled like dirty diapers. I was so happy when he changed schools :).

Two months ago I got another boy with horrible gas. We can be sure that at least 2 days a week he will be smelling up our class. He has autism and thinks it is hilarious and I am assuming his dad thinks it is hilarious from the comments he says -- "Oh, I must of had chili for lunch!" or he would look at my assistent and say "J, did you fart?" or he will say "Do you want to smell my bum?" and then he will fart. His farts smell so bad that it is really hard not to respond -- I gag sometimes!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2008

Ahhh, the joys of gas...
    Flashback to last year at this time--11 grade 7 and 8 boys in a small room right after lunch. :eek: There were some days when my teaching assistant and I spent a bit of time in the hall.

10. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Apr 22, 2008

Well, I guess letting them get the giggles out with a little "whoops" seems to be the best bet!

And thanks for all the gas stories...makes me that much more excited to have a whole class full of 'em every day! ;)

11. live2ridemx417

live2ridemx417 Rookie

Apr 24, 2008

:lol:that is too funny! I would be cracking up every day:2up:

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2008

Yeah it's funny the first time, but when it's a daily thing--it quickly loses it's humor!!
    My neighbor teacher and I alternate reading stories. Her class comes into my room for story time thus giving the other teacher an extra 20 minute prep time. One of her students farts loudly every day!! It's gotten to the point that no-one wants to sit near him. He has some major health issues, and I don't know if I can tell him it's not appropriate if he has a medical need to pass gass!!! I can't ask because I think that violates Herpa! (or whatever that is!!)

13. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Apr 25, 2008

My little ones do it all the time...They don't laugh about it so much anymore, I don't know if it's because I've "trained" them or if they're just that used to it now. In the beginning I found that the person who did it was usually embarressed so I just said "it's ok, we all do it, just say excuse me" and we keep going. Now even in the middle of a lesson they just say "excuse me" and we keep going. I might hear one or two giggles but that's it.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 25, 2008

I have trained a couple of students to ask to be excused to go to another part of the room in order to fart. Now I have to figure out what code word I can give them rather than having them say "Can I go to the quiet corner to fart?":p

15. MrU82

MrU82 Rookie

May 1, 2008

haha thats hilarious. In one of my U.S. History periods we were doing classwork and all of a sudden this foul odor just takes over the room...I mean this was nasty...like old rotten cabbage. Anyway everyone noticed and of course some students were going, "oh my god dude thats gross who did that ahhhh!" and freaking out, etc. This popular chubby kid in the class is sitting in the back with his face bright tomato red....and everyone knew and he just starts busting up laughing. CAUGHT! haha classic.

Guess you had to be there.

16. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

May 12, 2008

Middle schoolers are the worst! I just tell them that gas happens and to grow up and/or get over it.

Luckily "_______ happens, get over it" works in a lot of situations. I had a kid (8th grader) throw up in my carpeted room last week. We left the room so the custodian could shampoo the carpet. The next class freaked out when they found out, but I shut them up quickly with "throw up happens, gas happens, poop happens get over it!"

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 12, 2008

Uhhh, NO! I am glad that I wasn't there:lol:!!!