Passing back papers routine

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LiteratureLover, Aug 11, 2012.

1. LiteratureLover

LiteratureLover Rookie

Aug 11, 2012

What is your routine for passing back papers? I found that last year as a first year teacher, I'd grade the papers immediately, but I'd sit them by the folders and didn't pass them back immediately. This is a huge problem on my part that I want to change this year. Do you have a filing system or a daily routine?

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 11, 2012

When I pass back papers I have my students take out the binder or folder where the paper will go. Papers are passed back on their desks face down. The paper goes immediately into the proper place. Math papers are graded and returned the same day. Writing assignments take a day or so.

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 11, 2012

My daughter's 7th grade math teacher had a file for each student in one of those magazine racks, sorted by period. She teaches 6 periods.

Either the teacher or the TA for the class would come in and distribute the papers to the folders throughout the week and then have the kids get their graded work throughout the week on their own, but it had to be emptied on Friday. This helped with the teacher sending notes home to the parents for some activity or event happening in math---I really liked this piece, but I teach 3rd grade, so any parent-teacher communication is great.

They also have a system that the teachers have to print the weekly grades in the classroom for the kids to see what assignments that were graded or missing----and had a "no name" box the kids were to self-check often.

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 11, 2012

I have a wire basket that I keep on my desk with folders for each class period in it. After I have corrected a batch of papers and entered them into my gradebook, I just put them in that folder. At the beginning of class, when students are doing their warm-ups, or at the end of the period, I will grab the folder and pass back anything in it. Any papers that can't leave the room (i.e. tests, quizzes, common assessments, etc.) go in a folder that students keep in the room.

Hope this helps!

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 11, 2012

I usually just handed things back as students walked in the door. My best friend never returned ANYTHING. He posted grades quickly online, and felt that was enough since that's all the kids care about anyway. This way he was also able to reuse tests the next year.
    I disagree with this, although it may be true for some kids. The one exception to my handing back as they walked in was major tests. Those I gave out at the end of the period with just enough time to go over them to prevent the commotion of "what did you get?"

7. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 11, 2012

That's why I have my students keep those types of assessments in a folder that stays in the room. In terms of tests and big quizzes, I have different versions anyway, and students usually only get their answer sheets back. (The actual questions are in a separate packet that I keep.) For really important exams, such as midterm and final exams, I keep students' papers locked up in my room for one year. Students generally do not get these back.

8. mrsenglish

mrsenglish Rookie

Aug 11, 2012

I usually pass back in the first few minutes of class during bell ringers or when the students are independently working on the assignment for the day!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2012

I ask for one or two student volunteers to return papers.

10. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 12, 2012

Major tests are given back the next school day - in general. They are allowed to do test corrections. I change the original grade that was already posted in my grade book to reflect their grade after changes. Changes are due the next day or they don't get credit for them. The tests are then filed in manilla student folders I keep in class.

HW is corrected in class and collected, then I enter a grade based on whether they made corrections, handed it in, completed it, etc. Those papers are also filed in the student folders kept in the class.

Projects - graded as quickly as possible, kids are given their grade and take the project home unless it is one that fits in the student folder.

Major writing assignments, are filed in the student folders like the previous items.

Once per marking period, the students are instructed to take their manilla and pocket folders out of their hanging folders kept in the classroom. They sort the papers into major writing and the rest. The major writing ones, the students collect and place in their pocket folders. They can take the rest home or recycle them.

The major writing ones are held until the end of the year when they are returned and the students are told to take them home to their parents/guardians.

By keeping all the graded papers, I avoid the problem of Sally or Johnny coming to me when they get their progress report to say that "I handed that in!". I just tell them to go to the folder and find it and I'll correct the progress report. Occasionally there is an error, but mostly they end up finding it in their binder, locker, or the "No name" basket. Some never find it, but that is not my problem.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2012

My school is big on portfolios. Anything that's graded goes in portfolios, doesn't go home with the students. So I have to file everything. My co-teacher and I were horrible at this last year and always got to the point where we had huge piles to file. Sometimes I'd have a student or two help us file.

12. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 13, 2012

ooooo I LOVE my system. I have a portable file folder in the back of the room with a file for each child in it. When I'm done grading papers, I put them in the file for the kids.
    In my letter that goes out at the beginning of the year, I tell my parents that this is my system and if they feel as though they are missing information from the class, they need to talk to their child about checking their folder. I even say there might be times when they might want to come into the classroom and "help" their child check their folder.
    Because responsibility is a big thing I teach in my classroom, it's a great system to start the kids out with.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 13, 2012

The kids do it. They're all folded in half with their names on the outside. When I grade them, I put them in a basket and that's a job for the "I'm finished" kids.

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2012

This year I'm starting a new procedure for passing back papers. I'm going to have a crate for each class with hanging folders for each student. I'm going to file the students papers in the crate after they are graded. The hanging folders will be passed back every week or so. I feel like I waste so much time passing back papers, but it is obviously necessary. I feel this new procedure will cut down on lost time.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

Part of the heading I put on tests and quizzes includes "period___ row___"

I put each row's papers on the first desk in each row, and the kids pick them up as they walk in.

If there's a grade I think will be embarassing, I catch the kid on the way in and hand it to him. The other kids are so caught up in their own grades that they don't notice.