Passes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LetsDoSomeMath, Jul 22, 2010.

1. LetsDoSomeMath

LetsDoSomeMath Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

I want to create Passes to leave my class (nurse, library, office, etc) and create bathroom passes. What's the easiest way to do this? Word? Excell? Is there a template somewhere I can use???

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 22, 2010

Go to Target. They have them for $1 in the dollar bins.

OK, so that's cheating. I would probably use Word, turn the text so it is vertical, print it and glue it to something thick and sturdy, like heavy duty cardstock or cardboard. Then I'd laminate if possible, or use book tape and wrap around if it was too thick. Or better yet, Modge Podge it to a piece of wood. It's gonna have to be sturdy.

But really, I'd go to Target and look first!

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 22, 2010

You can also be creative with the passes. I know a teacher once who used a toilet seat for the bathroom pass. Really cut down on the number of kids who left the room (I'm serious).

You could use a lanyard with a name badge inside.

Or, go to a paint store or Lowe's and ask for paint stir sticks. Use permanent markers to write on them.

Anything really.

5. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

When I was in middle school, our pass anywhere was one of those giant fish pillows that are 5 feet long. Needless to say, I never left during class.

6. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

I LOVE this funny idea!:lol:
    Unfortunately, my little guys would love it too!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

My school has passes for the nurse and the library (though they never use them in my math class,only in my study hall). Anyone in the office who wants to see one of my kids issues a pass; there's very seldom a reason for them to leave class for the office otherwise.

I'm not fond of bathroom passes-- I'm really no germophobe, but hate the idea of the germs they must carry.

If kids ask to go to the bathroom, I generally let them, though they know I much prefer that they go before class starts. If it becomes an issue, I address it. But I don't require that they carry a pass.

The odds are ovewhelming that your school will have a policy already in place.

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 22, 2010

If you're making a pass, I recommend that it be a pass that they place at their desk while they are gone, rather than one that they take with them.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2010

Our passes are 18" wooden squares with a handle hole, painted with our room numbers. They've gotten pretty gross--when I get back I'm going to suggest that the ASG kids repaint them. Is there such a thing as anti-bacterial paint? ;)

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 22, 2010

Our school actually issues all teachers a pass (with teacher's last name printed very large on the pass) on a lanyard that students must use regardless of where they are going. We also must send any student going to the nurse's office with a form. So no need for any additional passes nor are we allowed to use anything different.

11. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 22, 2010

I use clothes pins that the pin on their clothes when they leave, they have to make sure they wash their hands before coming back to the room or use the purell thing at the door.

12. ecochick

ecochick Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

My school requires that a students pass include the following information:

Teacher
    Date
    Time Left Class
    Location Student is Headed

So its hard to find generic passes that work. I'm thinking of creating a short form with my name, a list of places students may go (so I can just check one) and a place for my initials.

I'll probably do it in MS word and put 4 on a page. I'm interested to see if anone else has better ideas.

13. LetsDoSomeMath

LetsDoSomeMath Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

Thanks--- I was just at target 2 days ago and didn't see any.

I will create one on word I think- I was hoping there was a faster way.

I can't use a object. I want to give each student 2 bathroom passes per quarter. And if they don't use them- give them 5 extra credit points at the end of each quarter.

I'm off to my classroom today so I'll stop at another target to see if may be they have something. I want to use something that my smarty pants kids can't duplicate =)

14. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

Last year, we used hall passes (same pass, no matter where you went) that were on lanyards. It drove me NUTS that kids wouldn't wear them and would instead come back to my room and try to hand me a wet pass. Um...no thanks. There are several reasons that could be wet and I don't want to know or touch it.

I had a regular thumbtack in the wall and they always missed, causing the pass to fall behind a set of shelves. So I got one of those jumbo tacks and they STILL missed.

I'm really hoping that 6th graders can hold it better than 4th and 5th graders. I'd like to not have to deal with hall passes as much this year.

15. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

I did something similar last year. Every 6 weeks, I would issue a set of hall and homework passes on one piece of paper to each student. Each 6 weeks, they were slightly different and on a different color of paper. They could use their passes whenever (unless I specifically stated that HW passes wouldn't be accepted on an assignment), but if they saved a matching pair of either, that would be worth a daily grade of 100 at the end of the 6 weeks.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

:lol: kc~ a teacher I worked with this year taped a toliet paper roll to use as her pass.

17. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 22, 2010

The dollar store has also had hall passes in the past. I haven't checked this year...

18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2010

Check out the Google docs thread that I just started. There are lots of things like passes that are already made. My school uses a school wide pass system and they are sent back to the disciplinarians office, so they monitor who is going where during each class. It works out great because last year they caught students who were going to the bathroom during every class on many days so they checked with the parents to make sure that the student was not having any problems and then if there were no problems, the teachers were notified to monitor these students.

19. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 22, 2010

We just use the passport form on the back of our school planners. I don't limit bathroom pass use, I treat my students like adults and people.

They are allowed to use the bathroom, nurse, etc. even if it's just for a mental break as long as they don't abuse it. Lets be humane here. Would you like to be told when you can and cannot use the bathroom? I think not. If students abuse their bathroom privileges revoke them, but if they just go to the bathroom once a week, I don't see a problem. It's extremely hard for me to defend teachers who deny their students access to the bathroom, except once a term as an AP, just a heartfelt warning.

No one ever checks student passes it's a joke. We have two hall monitors and they don't. The Administrators are simply too busy to do so. Who checks passes in your guys schools?

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

This is my philosophy as well.

21. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 22, 2010

Ditto.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

I think that's awful.

Brendan, I agree as well. I trust my kids until I have a reason not to-- and that seldom happens. If a kid has to go to the bathroom, I say yes. I would never dream of embarassing or degrading a kid because of a bathroom request.

It will come as no surprise to anyone here that I concentrate on content. Kids know that if they miss class, they're missing something they'll need. They tend not to leave class if they can help it.

By October we can see which kids are passing our classrooms every period on the way to the bathrooms. One quick discussion, and that tends to stop.

My next door neighbor is entering 7th grade.

Want to know what kept her up nights last summer as she entered middle school??? Not making friends. Not the academic work load.

She lost sleep-- a LOT of it-- worrying that it would be "that time of month" and some teacher would tell her she couldn't go to the bathroom. Or make big enough a fuss that someone would figure out why she need to go AGAIN.

23. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2010

We are not limiting the students bathroom usage. We are talking about students who are going to the bathroom in more than half of their classes EVERY day. This is abuse. Our disciplinarian calls the parents and this alerts the parent that the student is leaving class many times during the school day. He is also on the look out for teachers allowing many students to leave the classroom during class time. This is often a sign that the teacher is not doing something that the student thinks is important. Unfortunately we have had teachers who are not teaching or not planning enough material to teach bell to bell. I do not have a problem with students asking to go to the bathroom so I usually let mine go but then I teach from bell to bell and they do not want to miss anything. I did have a student ask one time if I could pause for a moment because she has to go really bad but was afraid of missing something.

24. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 22, 2010

I'm almost afraid to say this but I don't use passes. I'm sorry I have yet to see how effective that is - for elementary. The only time the kids are required to have some sort of pass is during the morning before school starts & when they have to go to the nurse. Honestly, unless I can see that it serves a purpose I don't want one more thing to keep up with.

I can see how for middle school & high school there would be a need. Also, my class at most is 18 so it's easy to keep up with where the kids are suppose to be.

Now to answer the original question, recently I had a keychain made from a certain site we talked a lot here that only charges for shipping. This way when I do before school tutoring my students will have something to show the hall monitors.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

Alice~I didn't agree with it, but what can you do? And your neighbor's fear is the reason I let students go to the bathroom whenever they need to, unless it becomes a habit.

I never used a pass for the bathroom...the nurse provided us with passes so we had to use those.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

I don't use them either. I check the clock when they leave, and they know I'm doing so. That's all it really takes.

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 22, 2010

FWIW, I don't use passes as a way to give students permission to go somewhere, more as a way of letting other students know that the restroom is currently unavailable.

My policy is that students may use the bathroom whenever they need, with a few stipulations. First, there is only to be one sixth grader in the bathroom at a time-hence the pass. If it is gone, you have to wait for it to come back. I too am grossed out by the thought of what germs are on it, but I think this year I'll take halfteacher's advice and have the kids put it on their desk. That way it's gone from the basket so no one else can go until it is back, but it isn't in the bathroom getting germy. Plus, if I happen to be working with a small group and don't see someone leave, I will know where they are.

I also ask my students to not use the bathroom 10 minutes before or 20 minutes after we return from somewhere, unless it is an emergency. We are rarely in the room for longer than 3 hours at a time with specials and all, so I don't think this is asking too much. On Mondays for example, we are in the room from 8:00-11:55, but we take a group break at 9:20, and usually a brief recess at 10:30. I ask them to use the bathroom then, or upon going or returning from PE, music, art, etc.

I have girls at "that age" as well, and as long as they know no one's gonna make a big deal of it, they chill out a lot. Like Brendan, I know sometimes students just need to get out of the room for a minute or two. I do that myself occasionally.

28. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 22, 2010

Our students can't be in the hallway without a pass. If students are found in the hallway without a pass, (the provided pass with our last names printed HUGE on the pass) the students are written up as well as the teachers. I can't even remember that ever happen as our students know from day one they can't leave the classroom without wearing the pass.

As Chemteacher mentioned, one of the reasons our passes have our name printed HUGE on the pass is to monitor how often teachers have students roaming the hallways. This is a problem in our building and I do know a few teachers were dinged on their evaluations for allowing too many students out during class time.

29. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

I use a clipboard and a beanie baby. One student is allowed out at a time. They use a hand signal to alert me, I nod, they put the beanie baby on their desk and sign out, then sign back in on the clipboard. I rarely check the clipboard - it's enough for them just to know that I can. I like this system because nothing actually goes to the bathroom with them. Yuck!

I also agree that students should be allowed to use the restroom, get a drink as long as they are going at appropriate times (when I am giving directions, instruction is NOT appropriate) and not going more than is necessary. I had a student this past year who would ask to go every hour (no medical problems). She and I worked out a deal of set times she was allowed to go.

30. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 22, 2010

LOVE THIS!!

31. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 23, 2010

I had laminated passes I made in Word. I'd wipe them down on a regular basis. Then we went to team passes - each kid got 6 bathroom passes per marking period. Most kids don't have issues, but the passes did cut down on the runs by habitual abusers. I'm pretty lenient - I do tell them that I expect all "business" is taken care of before/after class. Girls will come to me from time to time all flustered saying they HAVE to get to the bathroom right away, and I always let them grab a laminated pass and leave instead of fishing for their pre-printed passes. For the nurse I have a big laminated pass that either she or I wash down.

32. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 23, 2010

Sorry, Chem, I wasn't referring to a system like yours. More of like you can only go the bathroom twice a term type policies.