Passed TPA 1 and 2 YEAH

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by prime242, May 11, 2012.

1. prime242

prime242 Rookie

May 11, 2012

Yes! I managed to pass TPA task 1 and task 2 with a score of 4 on both of them. Now only to complete student teaching and the final tpa tasks, and I shall get my teaching credential.

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 12, 2012

Congrats! The TPAs are grueling.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 13, 2012

Well done, prime242!

5. jordan6

jordan6 New Member

May 30, 2012

Congratulations! TPAs are indeed exhausting

6. bdd

bdd Rookie

Jul 2, 2012

Yes.... Hate for the TPAs. Love for those who have finished them! It feels so great to be done with TPAs!

7. DeSantos

DeSantos New Member

Jun 25, 2013

Does anyone have any examples of TPA for physical education?

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 25, 2013

Congratulations! :) You're getting closer!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 25, 2013

A TPA in any given single subject is going to bear family resemblances to a TPA in any other given single subject, except for the points at which there's subject-specific knowledge (which I'm guessing you have) or subject-specific pedagogy (which you probably have, though you may be less confident).

TPA questions as a class (well, at least as of two years ago, and I doubt they've changed significantly) seem to start big and then restate various bits of the question in something approximating logical or sequential order, depending on the question. In other words, start your answer with an overview, but wait to narrow things down until the sub-question narrows things down for you.

Whatever you do, use the technical terminology of PE and of teaching: your responses, even more than CSET responses, will be read by professors of education and/or fellow PE teachers who are looking for you to sound like one of their peers. If you use a technical term in passing that you would have to stop and explain to a parent or student but that you wouldn't need to explain to another PE teacher, you probably don't need to explain it here.

I think some or even most of the CSU schools of ed have Web pages devoted to whichever flavor of TPA they use; at least a few might well have some examples, though possibly not in PE per se. (Health science examples could be helpful.) They will all certainly have, or at least refer to, the TPEs, and you should certainly have the PE TPEs firmly in mind as you design lessons and assessments and discuss them.

10. Bozley

Bozley Rookie

Jan 6, 2014

TeacherGroupie,

As I too have completed TPA 1 - 2 and begin my Student Teaching assignment in two weeks, do you happen to know what TPA 3 &/or 4 entail?

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 6, 2014

As far as I can remember TPA 3 was very similar to TPA 2. TPA 4 will be very similar to TPA 3 (lesson plan design with all the rationale, and student work included and analyzed) but you also have to video tape a lesson. The lesson cannot be more than 20 minutes (and I think it has to be as close to 20 min. as possible) and cannot be edited.
    You want to be prepared for that in advance, you'll need to figure out your lesson (something that will be under 20 minutes with introduction, direct instr, guided practice and independent practice and closure). You'll need student work so you'll need to figure out who will be your focus students, and you will need to send home permission slips to be included in the video, get a video camera, etc.
    Try to do it way before the end of your student teaching. I did it 2 weeks before it was over and I was nervous afterwards because it can take up to 3 weeks to get the results back. I was nervous because if I didn't pass, I would have had to redo it, and then it would have been a nightmare to set it up since I was done with student teaching.

12. AliDeg

AliDeg Rookie

Jan 15, 2014

"Whatever you do, use the technical terminology of PE and of teaching: your responses, even more than CSET responses, will be read by professors of education and/or fellow PE teachers who are looking for you to sound like one of their peers. If you use a technical term in passing that you would have to stop and explain to a parent or student but that you wouldn't need to explain to another PE teacher, you probably don't need to explain it here."

We were told in my current class (which is intended to prepare us for TPA 1), that it needs to be understood by a layperson. So any "terms of art" that are used as well as acronyms need to be explained in great detail.

For those who have already taken them, did you get marked down for using technical terms?
    Any other help for someone about 30 days from doing their first one?

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2014

I suppose it could differ by brand, but I'm inclined to doubt it: the evidence I've seen, the struggling test takers I've helped, the highly rated samples I've viewed, and the material on the CTC Web site support the notion that the point is to show off one's professional teaching chops.

It might be worthwhile to check your school's passing rate.

14. melanie1952

melanie1952 New Member

Mar 5, 2015

tpa 3

did you ever get any help on the TPA 3 for PE? I need to do them. If you did them and passed, I would be happy to assist you with compensation for them. I would of course change the words and curriculum to fit my needs. Thanks

15. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Mar 16, 2015

I just submitted TPA 1 yesterday (due today). It wasn't hard... just VERY time consuming. After all that work I don't even care about a 4 (though it'd be nice)... I'd be happy with a 3!

16. Diane

Diane New Member

Nov 20, 2017

I know that this thread is old. I turned in my tpa 1 and just in case I have to resubmit it, does anyone have an example of their passing one. I think I did a good job but I'm not sure

17. Diane

Diane New Member

Nov 20, 2017

any help would be appreciated