Passed RICA

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by nasimi77, Jan 6, 2006.

1. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jan 6, 2006

I passed the RICA!!!! I am soooo happy! I went through such hell with CSET, it was really nice to pass this the first time. Hang in there to all my fellow teachers out there, you will pass eventually! And if you passed RICA today, congrats! Nasimi77

3. why_me

why_me Rookie

Jan 6, 2006

Congrats! I too finally passed the RICA. It was a struggle but I will finally have my credential. Thanks to everyone on this wonderful website for all the positive feedback and encouragement. And a great big thanks to Teachergroupie for always being there. And to those who are still struggling with the RICA have faith it will happen.

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jan 6, 2006

Contrats why_me. :-> I also think the key is to surround oneself with positive people. I have some wonderful family and friends that really encouraged me....and I almost gave up last year. So glad I didn't.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 6, 2006

nasimi77 and why_me, well done! Don't forget to celebrate!

6. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jan 8, 2006

I will most definitely be celebrating! I passed CSET and RICA in 2005, which was a very tough year. Thanks for the encouragement TG!
    Nasimi77:)

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 8, 2006

I remember you well, nasimi77; I know you struggled, but from your posts I wasn't surprised when you did pass, nor am I surprised now.

8. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jan 8, 2006

I think the key is tenacity, never giving up. After awhile, passing these exams became like a game, if you will. I wasn't about to let them defeat me. :p As a result, I have become a better test taker, which is a huge thing for me, since I really do struggle with standardized exams. Happy New Year, and thanks again TG. ;)

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 8, 2006

In fact, a test IS well approached as a kind of game, with particular rules and tools and strategies. And yes, tenacity is one of the tools: being able to stay put despite the sucking feeling one feels when one doesn't know the answer and to keep the brain engaged long enough to begin to find one. If you've learned this and can pass it along to your future students, they will do well. I'm still sorry, though, that it was so painful for you to get here.

10. Debbie M

Debbie M Rookie

Jan 9, 2006

Hi fellow teachers!!!
    I signed up to take the RICA on February 11th. I have had a class last smester dealing with the Rica. Any advice or books that would be helpful?? I had a horrible time with the CSET so, understandably, I am somewhat apprehensive about this test. Why does California make it so hard to become a teacher? Seems weird to me, but I would want the best for my child if I were the parents of any of these students.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Debbie M.

11. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jan 9, 2006

I had to take a class during my credential program that helped us prepare for RICA. You may want to check with your university. I used the RICA website and used their practice tests, it had a lot of good info on it.http://www.rica.nesinc.com/

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 9, 2006

Debbie M, it's not at all uncommon for someone who struggled with CSET to have much less difficulty with RICA. This is perhaps partly because RICA's much more focused on terms of material covered, and perhaps also the relevance of the material to the classroom is much more obvious.

13. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jan 9, 2006

TG: I'm not sorry for the struggles, you shouldn't be sorry for me either. ;) I wouldn't call it painful, it wasn't. Just challenging. Painful would have been giving up and never trying again.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 9, 2006

Great attitude, nasimi!

I reserve the right, though, not to like it one little bit that so many CSET takers go through so much fear and loathing on this thing...

15. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jan 9, 2006

TG: Yes, I will say I had my share of loathing. [it's pretty easy to loathe CSET!] :tired: I also heard many other candidates in classes talking very negatively about the test and themselves:( and it was tempting to get involved in their dialogue, but I tried to stay focused. What I did instead was to do my best to encourage them, even in the midst of having to take Subtest II for the 3rd time.
    Anyhow.......keep up the encouragement on this sight, it helps a lot of candidates. I think these exams are a true test of our character, and once passed, you can't help but feel great, and know you have worked so hard towards your goal.
    take care now~
    Nasimi77:)

16. Mr. Riverside

Mr. Riverside New Member

Mar 20, 2006

RICA passed

I am so happy that I passed the RICA in ONE try. Now all I have to do is finish my credential program. Everyone, if teaching in you, then no TEST, person, or ignorant president can stop you from eduating students.