passed over for a job

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by chelster, May 23, 2004.

1. chelster

chelster Rookie

May 23, 2004

I'm just wondering what everyone thinks of this scenario. I interviewed at my own district for classroom positions and didn't get one of the three positions. I have worked part time as the g/t teacher for three years. My time and merits counted for nothing. The two different teams for two phases of the interview used a scale 1-5 and were looking for very specific things that were said in the interview and were used in the lesson. I'm not just talking about objectives and normal lesson plan criteria, but specifics of how they wanted the lesson to be taught and if I didn't use what they wanted I wasn't given full points. The points were tallied with no discussion from both teams and experience in the district was not taken into account. I have gone above and beyond my position, serving on committees, creating scholorships, raising money, volunteering for extra activities, getting our school in the newspaper on the front page, making things for other teachers in our building to use. I just can't believe that all of my hard work for my colleagues, principal, and most importantly the students was not taken into account and two out of the three candidates selected haven't even worked a day in our district. Has anyone had this experience? This has been a blow to me as a teacher. I had letters of recommendation from at least 8 out of 16 teachers in our building and that counted for nothing. I am really disheartened with the whole process and the fact that teachers would do this to one they called a friend, colleague, and excellent teacher. Any thoughts?:confused: :mad:

3. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

May 23, 2004

I work at a private school and do not know anything about those things. I just wanted to say I am so sorry this happened to you.

Eileen

4. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

May 24, 2004

How terrible! I wonder if there is more to this than what they are telling you... wow... I'm at a loss for words... I'm not sure I would even want to continue working in a school/district that would hire from the outside before taking me as a part time person... what are your options here??

5. chelster

chelster Rookie

May 26, 2004

more info

I went to see my principal on Monday so I could see my scores from the interview process and she said she shredded them, that it is school policy. She also said that the superintendent still has to interview the candidates, so she couldn't tell me who got the jobs yet. I think shredding documents sounds fishy to me. What if someone came back wanting answers to why they weren't hired. They would have no documentation to back up their process. I am putting out resumes, does anyone know a school in Western NY that is looking for an excellent K-2 teaching candidate? :)

6. roque7961

roque7961 Guest

May 26, 2004

passed over

Man! sounds like discrimination...by any chance are you a minority? how about a disability? something like that happened to me when I was in California in the 80´s... that´s why I now work in Mexico...
    the money might not be good but the satisfactions are overwhelming!!!
    good luck and don´t givr up!!!
    George Roque

7. teacherjen

teacherjen Guest

Jun 7, 2004

I know exactly what you are feeling. I too have been in your position. Last year I completed my student teaching at a school in my district. I did two long term sub jobs in the builing later that year. I was told by the principal that if there was a primary position available for the 2003-2004 school year it would be mine. Well, come end of September there was a position open. I interviewed and they gave the job to someone who had never worked with the district before. Consequently I have decided not to apply for any positions at that school anymore. I am much happier where I am at now anyway.

8. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jun 7, 2004

Chelster, what part of Western NY are you in? I'm in Buffalo. Very few jobs to be had.

9. Teacher379

Teacher379 Companion

Jun 8, 2004

I know exactly how you feel. I was at the job fair today in my county and this one particular school was there. I've subbed for them numerous times. I even took in a subbing position for 3 weeks where I had to come up with the lesson plans and test the children and everything....all this without getting teacher's pay. The school's secretary would call me over the weekend to sub for them and I would cancel whatever jobs I had for them. I've reported to work there once with the stomach flu and stayed until another sub arrived (I didn't like to cancel on them at the last minute and have them without a sub). The AP gave me an excellent recommendation on my reference form for the school board. They had 2 positions open (1 regular, and 1 interim) and they knew that I would take either positions...still she hired someone else.
    Chelster, I may not have done as much as you have for this school, but I felt as if I was stabbed in the back.

-Crystal :(

10. chelster

chelster Rookie

Jun 11, 2004

Thank you for all of your thoughts. Since this situation I have heard many stories similiar to my own. I guess the worst part is that my colleagues failed to respect and value me as a teacher. I keep hearing that I am too "academic", that I expect the students to actually learn something at the primary level. From all that I have seen and researched, this is the perfect age to learn. Children are like sponges and if you make learning exciting and fun, they will continue to love school throughout their whole lives. At my school they just want the kids to play. We have gym 3 times a week and all teachers take the kids out to the playground everyday for at least a half hour. Don't get me wrong, I know children need to play and exercise, but I think the emphasis is too much. I talked with teachers at the elem. building in our district (grades 3-6) and they think I would be a better fit at their building. I might try subbing there next year, because there will be three retirements. Since this building is so different, I don't think I would be sacrificing my principals by working there and see what happens. In the mean time I am sending out resumes if positions are posted and trying to move on. I live in Eden and teach there too. That is 20 miles south of Buffalo. Teaching jobs are hard to find, so if I want to teach I think this is my only option. I have two children in the district and I don't want to move. My husband has his own business and is well established. I'm just going to see what life has in store for me. Thank you all for your stories and support.

11. teesamary

teesamary Guest

Jun 25, 2004

I had that happen to me, as well. Look to see who gets hired. I not only subbed regularly and had teachers on the interviewing committees who supported me, but I had recently completed a longterm sub position at per diem pay for 4 months because the teacher was out for surgery and they didn't know if she would be back. She had interviesed me herself as a replacement. She actually came back for the last couple of weeks of school and while I got interviewed for that position I didn't get it. In my case it happened in the same district after two separate interviews for two different jobs. One went to the new High School principal's protoge, whom he brought from his previous district, the other went to the future daughter-in-law of a science teacher.
    Now that I place student teachers I can see that unless it's a high needs or rural district connections are what counts or the ability to coach! Nepotism is alive and well. Also, many elementary schools now prefer male teachers because they can be role models for boys.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 27, 2004

Sounds like alot of what I went through in Nebraska in the late 80's. I lost jobs to a school board member's daughter, the guidance counselor's wife and I don't know who else. I was finally offered a position, a long term temporary position in a district that I really wanted, but by that time my husband & I were already in the process of a long distance move!

13. dalia

dalia Guest

Jun 27, 2004

I feel so bad that you all had to do through experiences like this, in Texas we are extremely shorthanded when it comes to good teachers, I was fortunate and the principal I did my observations at was impressed and really pushed for me to be hired there and I got the grade I was hoping for. I will keep you in my prayers and I am a true believer that things happen for a reason, please don't loose faith in the teaching field, we are so very important to those kiddos that we do get the opportunity to help and hopefully touch their lives in positives ways. I know that NY and TX seem to be worlds apart but as teachers our ultimate goals are the same--the children.

((((((((((((((((keep positive)))))))))))))))))))

14. jbracken

jbracken Guest

Jun 27, 2004

teacher

The same thing happened to the teacher across the hall from me. No one else wanted her job BEH, and she did far and beyond what she was suppose to do. She was even chosen teacher of the year by her faculty. But when another regular resource position that she had asked for last year become available, a first year teacher with administrative connections was hired! This wonderful teacher handed in her resignation at the end of the school year, but on the last workday transfered to another school nearby n our system getting the position that she wanted. All things come to those who wait. She never complained or become upset under her circumstances, I will really miss her! Never give up.