PASS the CSET

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by crblack1973, Jun 11, 2008.

1. crblack1973

crblack1973 New Member

Jun 11, 2008

I took all three sections at once. I figured I would take them all at the same time, see how I did, get the results, and see where I needed help. I passed all three!
    I was a bit worried, as many of the people around me were also taking all three sections, and left long before I was done. I finished with about 20 minutes left to go, and I was the last person in the room.
    Beg, borrow, or buy (stealing is wrong!) the KAPLAN test guide. No, this is not an ad to buy it, but this was the best tool I used. My guide was three years old when I took the test. They offer a "money back guarantee" on the price of the guide, which had long expired when I took the test. A friend of mine had given me another guide, which I used to supplement, but the KAPLAN was very specific and concise to what I really needed to know.
    When the guide told me "use additional resources if you're not familiar..." I used WIKIPEDIA online.
    SECTION I
    I hate history, it's boring to me, but I studied the guide, used Wikipedia, took notes, and made a timeline. Make a timeline. It's less about dates, and more about what affected what, why, and how. The State of California Educational Guidelines (don't remember the website, search for it) helped with the Reading/Language section. Learn what's required for each grade level.
    SECTION II
    I am well versed in geometry and algebra, so that section was just a review. Everyone has their strong points. Learn these, and probability. Learn some basic chemistry (learn about the periodic table of elements), learn and understand the basics of physics, and learn some basic biology. The least useful section of the KAPLAN guide was about the specific types of respiration, physiology, and reproduction of specific groups. Too much detail; learn the basics.
    Learn basic geology and geography.
    SECTION III
    Basically, I used the KAPLAN book for this, used no internet, and earned a passing score. Make notes, and compile those notes by age groups. This will help.
    Read through the study guide first, and see where you need the most help. Then, read through again and take notes, one section at a time. Then, take the practice tests, look up the answers you got wrong, and make sure you understand the answers.
    I studied for a month, and during the fourth week I took my week's vacation to study intensively. This is after I read my study guide first. Eat right and sleep.
    I would suggest, unless it's a huge financial gamble, to take all three tests at the same time. Then you can get a feel for all three tests. Who knows, you may pass all three, like I never expected that I would.

3. crblack1973

crblack1973 New Member

Jun 11, 2008

ADDENDUM:
    Test Tip:
    Read the essay questions first, all sections, and make notes about the things you know. While you're taking the multiple choice, you may get clues about what you should add, and subliminally, your brain may kick in. Answer the essays last, but preview them first!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2008

Good advice, all, though of course there are test takers who swear AT Kaplan rather than BY Kaplan. That's to be expected, by the way.

And congratulations, crblack1973!

5. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jun 11, 2008

Congrats crblack1973! I took all three sections too and passed - what a relief! :) Sounds like you were much more organized in your studying, great tips for others on A to Z.

6. No Excuses

No Excuses Rookie

Jun 11, 2008

Need advice!!

I've been out of college for years with a B.S. and now I'm trying to decide if I want to go back to get my credential. I have already passed the CBEST years ago, which I may need to take again depending on the program I go into. I tried taking the CSET earlier this year and only took Subtest III and did not pass by 3 points. URGH!!! Then I decided to not pursue the career. Now I'm back to thinking of doing it again. I was thinking of taking a Prep Course for CSET. Has anyone taken a prep course and did you find it helpful? I'm currently in HR in education full-time year round work, 2 small children and married. Time is an issue for studying after 20 years out of school but it doesn't sound like I'm alone after reading other post. Any and all advice would be GREAT!!!!:confused:

7. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jun 11, 2008

No Excuses-
    I was an HR and Accounting girl........you can do it!!!!!
    I took weekend workshops at Cal State and they were very, very helpful. I also used Kaplan and some childrens books. The biggest key is to believe in yourself. I hadn't studied or learned any of this stuff in almost 20 years. I passed all 3 in one shot, you can do it too!!!

8. No Excuses

No Excuses Rookie

Jun 11, 2008

Here is my other hang up... the expense of changing careers and I'm nervous about not liking it. I won't be eligible for financial aid.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2008

CBEST scores should be good forever, No Excuses, and there's a good deal of overlap between the skills required for CBEST math and for CSET-MS. (Note that I said "skills" - CSET-MS math does require a certain additional comfort with going out on a limb, but that's a different issue.)

Prep courses vary fairly widely from area to area.

10. glamis369

glamis369 Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

Trust me, I understand. My husband is ready to choke me. I went from almost 70k a year to nothing to subbing at $120 per day and now no work in the summer. I'm still happier than I ever was. Why no financial aid? You can still get good loans and have you thought about APLE? My credential is in Sp Ed and my whole city where I work is Title I so the the state will pay back 4-5k per year that I teach. Meaning, I am going to finish, teach here for 4 years to get my loans paid off and then go teach somewhere else. I can't get free money or no interest loans but stafford aren't so bad. You can do the same......

11. No Excuses

No Excuses Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

Thanks glamis369 for sharing your story, that helps a lot!!! The county I live in is also Title I. I also have principals that said they would help me in anyway I needed, with letters of recommendations, etc. I also get encouraged by teachers to enter the profession. The calling is there! I need to believe in myself as someone else said ealier!

I'm looking to take the course with CSU, Eastbay. It offers the course on Friday evenings and Saturday once a month for three months. This is reasonably priced. Have you heard if this one is good?

I also found one in CSET Tutoring.com which also offers weekend courses in Sacramento but it is expensive. Have you heard anything about this one?

Thanks for your input, I'm going to pursue again!

12. CAfutureTeacher

CAfutureTeacher New Member

Jun 16, 2008

Passing the CSET-a few tips

I also took all 3 sections at once... mostly because I had to because CA test administrators only come to Seattle once a year to give the test. I studied for about 5 months prior to the best and mostly used the Cliff Notes CSET Study Guide. I recommend this book because it was extremely helpful and I passed all 3 sections on my first try. Especially since I didn't grow up in California or get a California education, the book helped to fill in the gaps. For example, the CSET history section tests California history as well ancient world history to now and US history. For someone who didn't grow up in CA, having to know the history from before the birth of the state (when part of Mexico) to present seemed a little daunting on top of everything else you have to know. But the book goes through it and every other subject.
    Another tip: do the practice tests on CSET's website and in the Cliff Notes book. Then go over your answers. You'll be surprised at how many questions on the real CSET will be the same or similar. When I didn't know a name or event or topic that showed up on a practice test I would goggle it and learn a little about it to be familiar. This proved to help a lot as many of what I googled came up on the actual test. Finally, make flash cards of names or dates or topics that were new to you before studying. Again, much of what I made flash cards on showed up on the test or I wrote about in the essays because I could remember specific names/dates.
    Take a deep breath and study a little each day. You will do fine I'm sure. :)

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2008

Sounds like you must have passed, CAfutureTeacher. Congratulations!

I hear Washington state is getting new teacher tests. Chances are pretty good they'll look something like CSET.

14. CAfutureTeacher

CAfutureTeacher New Member

Jun 18, 2008

Yes I did pass all three subtests on my first try. That is why I posted a few tips because, like many on this forum, I only read/heard from people who failed time and time again. This made me more worried than need be. I passed on my first time, the person who started this forum did too so so can all of you!
    Yes, WA is is the process of getting new tests, however, it may be some time before a major change takes place. As of now, the praxis and/or West-B are required depending on school. I am moving for I took the multiple subjects CSET for CA.