Pass CBEST Writing, a dread for an immigrant

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by foxtailsroger, Apr 28, 2008.

1. foxtailsroger

foxtailsroger Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

As an immigrant who moved to the States 8 years ago, to write two essays in English is indeed a challenging task. I took CBEST the first time about half a year ago (12/01/07) and failed miserably in writing with a score of 26. Even if I passed math and reading easily, writing has always been a dread for me. I know that to improve my writing skills is more than just to write more. I have to know what I made wrong and how to correct them whenever I write. However, I didnt know where and what to look for help.

In the end of Feburary, there was a CBEST writing class held by a chinese school (a private institute) in Fremont. With a 6 week intense training, I learned not only just how to write, but also how to appreciate structures, syntax, even punctuations in composing sentences. I started to realise what was wrong in my writing. I started to pay attention to what/how I say and what/how I write.

Granted I still made a lot of grammatical mistakes. However, I believe that i can write better than I used to. Retaking the test on April 12, I got my writing score a few hours ago. 41. I passed!!

Hooray!!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 28, 2008

Well done, foxtailsroger! That's a huge improvement in score, and I trust you're very, very proud of your accomplishment.

4. longweekend

longweekend New Member

Feb 19, 2013

Can you help me?

I have the same problem with CBEST writing. Can you tell me which school you went? or do you have any source of good teachers of this subject? Thank you!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 19, 2013

Welcome to A to Z longweekend.

The CBEST score report gives diagnostics for essays that don't pass, in six categories: rhetorical force, organization, support and development, structure and conventions, usage, and appropriateness. In which of these are you struggling?

Is your first language Chinese?

6. Scott71

Scott71 Rookie

Feb 19, 2013

That is awesome!

7. longweekend

longweekend New Member

Feb 25, 2013

Yes, Chinese is my first language. My problems are usage, structure and Conventions.

8. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 25, 2013

Congratulations on passing! Keep working on those writing skills! I have a professor who originally immigrated from China and while she still has an accent, her writing skills are absolutely flawless. You can do it!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 25, 2013

That's a common pair of problems even for native speakers, longweekend. Was your undergraduate education in China?