Party Ideas

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Grammy Teacher, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2005

I want to do something special with my kids the end of the month. Nothing to do with Halloween or Fall. What can we do to make one day very special? I don;t like how others center their holidays and events around food. I want to do something meaningful with the kids. Any ideas?

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2005

could you do some fun activities with pumpkin theme? pin the nose on the pumpkin........carving a class pumpkin, roasting the seeds (I know that is food, but it is fun)..........estimating how big around the pumpkin is, etc.

4. Sabby12s

Sabby12s Companion

Oct 19, 2005

What about a Hinimatsuri party? Not sure if I spelt that correctly but its a Japanese Holiday. I did this with my k's one year and they loved it! They each brought in a doll/toy/stuffy that day and we did different activities with the doll. They made doll clothes (out of paper), they danced with their dolls, and they had show n tell. We did other stuff too, but I can't remember exactly what it was since it was almost 2 years ago. But if you do a search for Hinimatsuri or Japanese Boy's Day I think you'll find some helpful information.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2005

my idea was too much like fall or halloween..........sorry. I've got pumpkins on my mind 'cause we've been doing pumpkin activities at school.

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 20, 2005

have a movie day, bring in big pillows to let them lay on, or a pajama day, let them bring in favorite stuffed animal, play games you might do at a slumber party. --- or a movie in pajamas

7. Sabby12s

Sabby12s Companion

Oct 20, 2005

Oh! ABall's idea reminded me. You could have a beach party! The kids could bring in a towel and sunglasses. You could eat your lunch/snack on them and play Beach Boys music. Play the Limbo too. I've done this before and its really fun. The kids love it especially in winter.

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 20, 2005

Such cute ideas!!

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2005

I love all of your ideas! I was thinking of calling it a Reading Party...and all the kids can bring a favorite book to share...and a favorite stuffed animal. Sabby, the Japanese idea sounds different and cute, too! Maybe we could do something similar with the stuffed animals, dance with them, make hats for them, share , etc. I want us to make a pretty dessert together, too. There are some cute ideas to make with pudding, like pudding in a cloud, etc. I can use all of your ideas in one way or another! Thanks so much...the kids will have a blast!

10. Ruthierhyme

Ruthierhyme Rookie

Oct 21, 2005

Hi .... please, can you tell me how you make 'pudding in a cloud'? Ive even searched on the net and am no closer to guessing what ingriedients we have in the Uk to make it :( .. Is this product anything like what you need ?
    http://www.britishdelights.com/trifle.htm (it's the 'angel delight' at the bottom of the page or we also call it 'instant whip'!)

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

12. Ruthierhyme

Ruthierhyme Rookie

Oct 21, 2005

:) Thanks... unfortunately that was the recipe I found, it's the ingredients that I can't match up...... another delicious looking american recipe shoved to the side because we don't have your brands..... sighhhhhhhh :(

13. Sabby12s

Sabby12s Companion

Oct 21, 2005

Ruthierhyme~ Do you have British version of cool whip and Jell-o? Cool whip is just a whipped topping and if you have them you could just replace the jello-o instant pudding with any old instant pudding. Heck, when I find a receipe like that I just replace everything with generic brands anyways because of the cost!

14. Ruthierhyme

Ruthierhyme Rookie

Oct 21, 2005

Hi, I couldn't agree more with swapping ingredients for cost.... but Jell-o isn't available in the UK ( have found a mail order company though ... so may well buy some through that!!!) ... I could use something called 'dream topping' for the 'cloud' :) so will experiment.. guess I'd have to come to the states to experience this as it's supposed to taste .. LOL :D

15. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2005

Two things I've done that have been well received have been a luau and a pj party.

For the luau:
    They made grass skirts out of the drawstring trash bags and we tied them around them.
    I looked up their "Hawaiian Names" on the internet and made them name tags.
    We watched an instructional hula video and tried it.
    They made leis (a foam craft kit I got at Michael's)
    We did the limbo.
    For a special desert, we made fruit kabobs with tropical fruits.

For PJ Day-
    Everyone brought a teddy bear. We sorted them and dressed them and had a show and tell about them.
    Everyone brought an old pillowcase and we painted them with fabric paint.
    A special guest reader (in this case, the principal) read them "bed-time" stories, like Ira Sleeps Over and Goodnight Gorilla.
    We sorted and graphed gummy bears (to go along with teddy bears).
    We had a breakfast feast...muffins, cereal, milk and fruit.
    Kim