Parts of speech

Discussion in 'General Education' started by scooter503, Nov 2, 2011.

1. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Nov 2, 2011

I am shocked with how few of my kids (middle schoolers) can remember their parts of speech. Anyone have any suggestions for activities/ways to get them to remember them? We just spent two weeks doing things with nouns...and some still couldn't give me examples of common and proper nouns on the quiz.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2011

Schoolhouse rock has several grammar/ parts of speech songs....'A noun is a person, place or thing', 'Conjunction Junction', 'Interjection'....are you singing yet?:D

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2011

mad libs

5. applecore

applecore Devotee

Nov 3, 2011

This might be too elementary but here's what I did last year that seemed to help make the difference between common and proper noun stick....and it's meets ESOL differentiation of instruction.

Common/Proper Noun Poster in groups

Get as many pictures of people, places, and things from magazines, newspapers (without the articles), area business wrappers and things (McDonald's burger wrapper---new of course, they gave me a few for free :)), and anything else you can think of.

Have the kids divide a poster paper in half with a line, label each side common and proper. (Butcher paper works too.)

Write the definition of both on the board.

Make the kids cut the pictures out that match each definition.

Kids sort the pictures on the poster board.

They can glue AFTER they have confirmed that each picture is on the correct category.

Review whole group for each side...I had the kids display and share their favorite picture from each side and explain why they put it there. (It's a common...it's a proper...)

Display them in the room.

Again, it might be too elementary, but sometimes the kids need it. Test scores were higher because they were able to build their background knowledge a little more.

Best wishes!

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Nov 3, 2011

Mad libs are awesome! If you have an iPad, there's an app called Sparklefish that allows students to record entries for a mad lib story and hear their responses back in story form! There's a free one that has about 4 stories, and then you can buy more story packs. I have my kids do a mad lib with The Night Before Christmas every year, too =)

Also, there's a fun game you can play that is like charades, but you use verbs and adverbs. In one basket place a bunch of strips of papers with verbs written on them, and in another basket do the same with adverbs. Kids take turns and draw out one of each. Then they act out what they get and everyone else tries to guess. For example, if they draw out "laugh" and "loudly" they would laugh really loudly! If the choose "eat" and "quickly" they would act that out. Some are really funny!

7. brians1024

brians1024 Rookie

Nov 3, 2011

czacza, not nice. I've been singing this in my head all day today.:lol:

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 3, 2011

I came up with a short little song when we were reviewing the parts of speech last year:

A noun is a person, place, or thing (or an idea!)
    A verb is an action, like sing (or a link!)
    An adjective describes a noun,
    A pronoun replaces one,
    The parts of speech are wonderful things.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 3, 2011

brians1024, I can think of lots of worse things to have as earworms: at least Bob Dorough's music is good.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2011

Sorry, slight hijack:

In my Geometry classes, we're working on Coordinate Geometry proofs. I mentioned that my method would make their English teachers wince: I want them to always start the explanation with the word "SINCE" (since that would make them explain WHY the proof works.)

The inevitable question came up: What part of speech is "since" in a sentence like "Since two of the sides are congruent, triangle ABC is isosceles" ???

(Sorry, Peter is helping Kira with her spelling and I don't want to interrupt.)

11. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Nov 19, 2011

Well, I really don't have any su:cool:ggestions as to how you can get your middle schoolers to remember the parts of speech, but your post does explain to me why my HS freshmen don't really remember the parts of speech, either!

I guess it is the kind of thing that has to be re-taught every single year!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 19, 2011

Sorry I missed this, Alice. (November has been more instructive than instructional. I would have loved to dodge some of the insights.)

The word since as you've used it is a subordinating conjunction: 'conjunction' because it joins one clause (two of the sides are congruent) to another, 'subordinating' because it makes that clause dependent on the other. In fact, the word since essentially makes its clause function adverbially.

13. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2011

This may also be too primary. I have been reading decodable books in my class and leading the children through circling the nouns. I also am having them circle nouns in the daily oral language sentence correction they do every morning.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 20, 2011

Thanks, TG. I'll mention it tomorrow!

15. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Nov 20, 2011

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 20, 2011

We use a lot of School House Rocks in my room. :) The sad fact, though, is that in our area, anyway, the move is away from knowing the parts of speech by name and more on using them. (Yeah, I get that you can't use them if you don't know them, but I'm not sure who else does.) We don't even necessarily use the same terminology from grade to grade.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 20, 2011

I'm truly sorry to hear that, Christy.

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 20, 2011

My principal (a former 1st grade teacher) really sees the need for it, but at the moment, it's a losing battle. We have an "integrated" ELA program and the grammar is just all over the place. Because the LEAP (our 4th grade state test) doesn't ask questions on parts of speech, we are encourage to concentrate on proofreading skills. (Which they don't get if they don't know the grammar.)

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 20, 2011

No kidding. And grammar is amazingly easy to teach badly, I'm afraid.

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 20, 2011

Very true!

21. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2011

This is the first year my kids know grammar cold... because the teacher last year DRILLED it into their heads. Sadly, she's in a bit of trouble over it, as we aren't supposed to teach grammar in isolation... sigh. It's been a lovely year actually working on sentence expansion rather than trying to get them to learn basic grammar and terminology.

22. mkate

mkate Comrade

Nov 21, 2011

Well, here in Spain they teach LOTS of grammar in primary school. I personally think it is important, but unfortunately they do very little writing-- I'd like to see more of that as well.