parts of a letter

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by kindergarden, Sep 29, 2007.

1. kindergarden

kindergarden Rookie

Sep 29, 2007

I'm looking for a fun way to introduce parts of a friendly letter. I had heard somewhere about using a picture of a girl to explain each part. For example the greeting is shown as," Hi, I'm Sally." Does anyone remember all the parts or just have some fun ideas to use?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2007

I believe that its Date, Greeting, Body, Closing, Signature.

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2007

No, but I would love to hear the rest of the lesson you described!! It sounds interesting to teach to kids!

5. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Oct 1, 2007

6. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Oct 1, 2007

I just taught this, its kinda like a dance. Tap your head an say heading, pull hands away from mouth saying greeting, wiggle your hips and say body, kick one foot out and say signature and the other foot is closing. my kids loved it. Hope this makes sense.

7. kindergarden

kindergarden Rookie

Oct 1, 2007

That is so helpful, thanks for all the great ideas!

8. jmpteaches

jmpteaches Rookie

Oct 1, 2007

I use body movements too:
    Heading--Put hands on head
    Greeting--Wave
    Body--Move your hands from above your head, along your sides, and down to your feet
    Closing--Put your hands together palms up and put them together as if they are a closing book
    Signature--Pretend to sign your name in the air

9. cdorey13

cdorey13 Rookie

Oct 6, 2007

I also wouldn't let them turn it in without giving me a HIGH FIVE which was a reminder to check for all 5 parts! I also taught them to fold the paper in half so they could start at the fold line and put the date so it would end up on the right. Then next line, edge of paper for the greeting name and comma. The body needed to start right under the comma (because this reminded them to indent). Then we put the closing starting on the fold line again, and signature under the comma again. It reinforced the comma reminders also because that was there starting point for the next part of the letter.

10. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Oct 14, 2007

I also have kids fold the paper so they can put the date and the closing and signature in the middle of the paper. That's the only way they got it at first of year. The fun thing I do to get them to really know how to write a letter is on the back of their spelling test each week they write me a friendly letter and I write each of them back. It is a very fun interactive way to find out what they are thinking about, worrying about or feel excited to share. They love it and so do parents. I also have them write a letter to the star of the week. So for an entire year they write 2 friendly letters a week. It is fun, they get so much better at writing, and I feel that is a good addition to my writing program since they are sounding out words and learning punctuation as they ask me questions about my dog, my husband, where I live and other nosy things. ha ha. I love answering them though. It is a fun thing I do. :lol: