Participation Counts!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Starista, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 5, 2010

Good Morning,

Tell me I am NOT the only one who woke up thrilled that tomorrow is a Holiday and yet another day to sleep past the 5 AM alarm!! :lol::lol:

Anyway! My new principal wants 2 grades per subject per week recorded. I was having difficulties with this, especially with science and social studies. I am not a worksheet teacher too much... They certainly have their place and need to be meaningful, but I do not want to run off worksheets just to get my minimum grades in my record book. She suggested I grade participation!

The science vocabulary for my third graders is extremely overwhelming for them, and the social studies is as well (thought not as much!)

We did our first science lab this week which I want to grade as a participation grade! Everyone did it some yielded different results, but they all showed effort and participated.

How would you grade participation in a third grade classroom in various subjects??? The grading scale is 0-100 or F-A+.

Naturally, parents will want to know why their child only received a B in participation and not the full A+. I do not want to give each child an A+ as that will just inflate their grades and not truly reflect their knowledge or preparation. Is that too harsh for 8 and 9 year olds though?

What do you think of grading participation in classroom subjects, do you do it, and if so please share how!

THANK YOU! :hugs:

3. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Sep 5, 2010

I hate grading participation and don't do it. If anything, I would walk around with a checklist to see if they did what they were supposed to and/or grade their notebooks. If you have to do it, can you weight it so that it does not inflate their grade? Maybe only weight it 5%?

4. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Sep 5, 2010

That is what I do with Participation. I only have it count for 5% of their final grade. I am not too harsh when grading for participation since it doesn't inflate their grade especially when tests are usually weighted for 40% of their grade. I also give homework %, project %, and quiz % to equal the other 55% of their grade.

5. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Sep 5, 2010

I will give participation points in science, social studies, and religion when I am low on grades, but I usually just give one participation grade at the end of the quarter. The religion grade is a Mass Behavior/Participation grade based on how well they behaved at Mass that week. I also started giving 5 questions for weekly work each week that review the lesson from the week before. They have a folder to keep maps, diagrams, and the recording sheet. We switch between teaching science and social studies, so this ensures that I have a grade for each every week.

6. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Sep 5, 2010

Have you considered having the students fill out vocabulary charts as part of their grade? When I taught 3rd part of what we would do during reading rotations was a vocab station. In it would be a list of the Science and SS words we had used throughout the year. The student would make a vocabulary GO for 2 science and 2 SS words a week. (GO was a 4 square with a circle in center for word. Def. of the word, sentence with the word, picture of the word, and a what else do i know box)
    That would give you 2 grades right there.