Participation Awards?

Discussion in 'Paraprofessionals' started by Emzy, May 18, 2013.

1. Emzy

Emzy New Member

May 18, 2013

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time writer! I am having a bit of a dilemma and I would love to get some opinions.

Let me start by saying that I am an instructional assistant working 1-on-1 with a student in a gen. ed. class. My district is fortunate to have a music program, and my student attends an orchestra class every week. My student is very bright and very capable of playing her instrument well, but like many other children, she does not practice and therefore has not really mastered the songs. For whatever reason, the music teacher will still check off her songs, even if she would not do so for other students. I sense that she does it to avoid a conflict with the student because she has a very difficult time accepting the situation when things do not go her way.

I have a serious ethical concerns about this. We are supposed to be teaching this student to function independently and assimilate with society. In the real world we are not entitled to rewards just for showing up, and I don't think that she is learning how to effectively deal with disappointment if she is constantly being pacified. We have come along way with her behavior, and I feel like this is taking a step back. On the other hand I feel like this has allowed her to retain interest in music when she might have otherwise been frustrated and given up. She wants to return to orchestra next year, and I am glad that she is engaging in extracurricular activities. I wonder, however, if she will be prepared for a more advanced class.

I guess my question is, is it fair to give students accolades that they didn't earn if it increases their interest? And are we setting her up for failure by doing so?

3. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

May 19, 2013

I think this is a question for the special education coordinator. I would talk to this person ASAP.