Part time teachers: Advice needed

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss.H, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Miss.H

Miss.H Rookie

Jan 5, 2010

Hi,
    I have been transferred to a new school this year after returning from maternity leave. I will be teaching pre-school with another teacher (we each teach a 5 day fortnight). I was just wondering if there are many other part timers out there and if you had any suggestions for us. Myself and my teaching partner are worried that the parents and kids will try and play us off against one another. We need strategies for keeping on top of our communication etc so this doesn't happen.
    I think it may be difficult as we are never at school at the same time to have discussions or planning time. So my guess is that we will be on the phone every night making sure we both know what is happening.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

3. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Jan 5, 2010

Not a part-timer, but . . . maybe you could have a communication notebook that you write in a little after each day at school--things that your co-teacher would need to know about what's going on. Or if you have email, you could type up a little weekly update and email to each other.

I would think you definitely need to meet (even if on your own time) and hash out things so you have the same schedule, behavior system, rules, etc.

4. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Jan 5, 2010

completely off topic, but fortnight means every two weeks, correct? I love that! Such a more elegant way of saying that!

5. amochoa

amochoa Rookie

Jan 7, 2010

I am a part time preschool teacher with another teacher. We usually just leave notes for each other. But we do have our own classes. I teach a morning Thursday & Friday class while she teaches a Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday morning and afternoon class. Our students don't see the other teacher unless the teacher subs. If we think something is important and the other needs to know, we just call.

---------------------------
    “Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.”

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 7, 2010

I would say that any major issues with notes or messages I would try discuss it with the other teacher before responding and to respond in writing and sign it with both of your names. Also, I would try to both be there for any conferences. Will you have a common planning time occasionally?

7. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Jan 12, 2010

We use a daily planner to communicate with the other staff. We write notes about behavior, curric., illness, etc, and keep it closed so nosy parents can't read it!