Part time or full time?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Koriemo, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Aug 9, 2015

I have been teaching English at a private high school for two years. I love my school, students, and administration. Actually, it seems too easy sometimes. I have small classes, an easy schedule, and students who are motivated and well behaved. The school isn't very "progressive", has very little technology, and the curriculum sometimes feels outdated. The school is 45 minutes away from my house. My husband works 30 minutes in the opposite direction, so we aren't planning to move.

I have an opportunity to take a part time (.40) position teaching middle school social studies at a public school 5 minutes away from my house. Even though it's only part time, I would only be making $5000 less per year. While teaching English is my preference, my background in ELA was seen as a benefit in this position because of the school's emphasis on literacy across the curriculum. This is a desireable district in a growing area. It's the only district near my house, and I feel like I should jump on the opportunity, I may not get one in the future.

Part of the advantage of switching to a public school is that I think it might open up future opportunities. My current school doesn't pay very much and the salary doesn't increase as much with experience. While the decrease in salary now isn't great, it is manageable.

So, what would you do? Part time because it could open doors for future opportunities? Or full time?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2015

If you can swing the pay, I would 100% go for the new job. I quit a full-time job to take a long term subbing job and it is the only decision I've made in the last two that I haven't regretted.

By the time you factor in taxes and how much you will save in gas, I bet you will see maybe $100-200 difference in take home pay per month. Plus you will gain a ton of time. (90 minutes per day just from driving!)

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2015

Take the new job.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 9, 2015

If the money is a concern, would you be able to sub when you are not teaching? I'm assuming it's a 2 day a week position, so you could sub the other three days and make sure administration really sees you as a team player/go-getter type, for any future openings.

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 9, 2015

I would take the new job if money isn't an issue!
    If so, you could always find a second job.
    Is it a couple days a week or a couple hours a day everyday?

7. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Aug 9, 2015

It's a couple of hours every day: my hours would be 8:00am-11:15am Monday-Friday. I will likely have some take home work (though I do get some prep time) but considering I'm only teaching one course instead of four, the prep won't be as time consuming.

And I definitely could take a second job. I do ACT tutoring over the summers and could probably use my connections to find tutoring students during the school year too.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2015

I meant per month. Sorry I was unclear...

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2015

If I could have a 0.4 job with only $5,000 less than I make now, I would take it in a second! I'm sure it will open up opportunities to make more money next year. You could even ask if they have any other part time jobs available in the district.

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2015

Take the new job! I was just telling my husband how much I can't wait for him to make a lot of money so that I can work part time.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 9, 2015

Definitely take the PT job!!! I know I would!

12. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Aug 9, 2015

Thanks everyone! I think I'll go for it. Just have to talk budget with my husband. I'm tempted to worry about momey, but we've lived on less in years past and see just fine!

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2015

I was thinking through the math in my head earlier, and I think it will be much closer than you think.
    Here is some basic math for you:
    65% of 5,000 is 3,250. Rough net pay estimate.

Tank of gas $40 (obviously this can vary depending on the tank size and the current cost. I'm going with 40 to be conservative.) For this estimation, I'm going to assume you go through a tank of gas per week. 36 tanks x 40 = 1,440. Your new job will probably put you at a tank every 3 weeks. 12 tanks x 40 = 528. 1440-528=912.

3250-912= 2,338. Divided by 12 equals out to about $195. If you figure in things like oil changes, tire wear, you come out even less.

You are going to work 40% of your former work day and cut out nearly 7 hours of commute time from your week. You are gaining roughly 27 hours of time per week. That is more than a day per week! For $200 or less. I'd cut my cable or something if I had to! Or sub afternoons. Would you get a lot of jobs? Not likely, but they are out there.

14. Bak2Math

Bak2Math Rookie

Aug 10, 2015

Whatever you are saving in gas multiply it given you have less wear and tear on your car.

Let's say 200 teaching days and you're saving at least an hour on commuting. Thats 200 hours. That's over 8 days of your life... per year. Even more if you factor out the sleeping part. Plus you're working that much less giving you even more time for you and your family and other side projects which could mean extra cash.

Just some thoughts...

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2015

Another thing is you could pick up another job coaching or tutoring at your new school, if you're worried about the salary drop. I easily make over $5000 a year extra since I always coach a team and tutor. Finally, if you don't already have one, get a summer job. Or teach summer school. Since you'll be working part time you'll have plenty of time to make up that $5000 if you really want to.

16. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 11, 2015

Also if benefits is not a problem I saw take the PT position.....you will save so much in gas and wear and tear on your car that you may not even see/feel the decrease in pay....PLUS many times what starts out as PT due to class size sometimes become FT before the end of the school year.

17. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2015

Another vote for the new job...I did something similar last year, taking a new job in my home town but only 40%, and by the time school started, I had been bumped up to 80% due to numbers/enrollment. You never know what will happen with large public schools! Not to say it's guaranteed, but it can happen. And certainly, if you prove to be a "good fit" for the school, you would be a candidate for full-time if the opportunity arises next year.

I cut my commute from 35 miles to 3 miles and the change in my entire lifestyle was HUGE!

18. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Aug 11, 2015

That's a great point! I could definitely see the position increasing. There is another middle school in the district (2 miles away) that also has a .40 position, so I was thinking that I may be able to get full time split between two locations. However, this middle school is only at 60% capacity, so I can definitely see it growing.

Glad to know it worked out for you!!

19. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2015

That's actually exactly what happened -- I picked up one more section at the HS and one at the Jr. High. It took some balancing to make being on two sites work, but it was worth it to get my foot in the door and people were always super impressed by my juggling skills :)