Part-time One-year job???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miss F, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Miss F

Miss F New Member

Aug 6, 2009

I have an interview tomorrow for a part time one year job. I am looking for full time employment, but I don't want to pass this opportunity up. Does anyone have experience with this? The full time teachers are doing some training this year, and won't be next year. I just don't know how to feel about it.

On top of it, I'm in the process of getting my MA in teacher leadership and only have one year left. I know I can't continue if I have no job for next year, but should I finish it up (if I get the part time job)?

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 6, 2009

At this point in the year (hiring season), if you can handle it along with your schooling...I would GO FOR IT! It's a foot in the door. Show them how incredible you are. Learn EVERYTHING! Consider THIS a class of yours as well. Get to know the teachers and treat them like fountains of knowledge that you have the good fortune of working nearby.

I would see this as an INCREDIBLE opportunity! if you need more money and have time on top of all of THAT (I don't know your ability to juggle lots of things), but THEN get another part-time gig. A store (teacher's store?). tutoring, club sponsorship/coaching, or as I did (I subbed and went to school in addition to...) a job that will somehow allow you to do school work and work at THAT job as well (I worked at a theater box-office. when i wasn't with customers...i did homework and read eduational manuals).

4. Miss F

Miss F New Member

Aug 6, 2009

Thanks, I am not really worried about the money (thanks Hubby!). I am more worried about becomming attatched knowing that it is only a one year job. But it would be the opportuinity to get my MA degree out of the way.

Do you think having a master's degree would make me less employable in the future? I am not inexperienced, I've been a teacher for three years.

5. Jobsearching101

Jobsearching101 Companion

Aug 6, 2009

I think the master's degree makes you more attractive to employers. I needed my master's to give me HQ status, and without it, I wouldn't have gotten a job.

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 6, 2009

That's a touchy one... yes and no.

You want to show you are going somewhere...but not price yourself out of a starting job.

My solution is that i have gotten some hours towards my masters...but shy of the first lateral step.

7. AMB

AMB Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

You'll be an in-district employee to apply for other openings within the district, so I would take it.

I would hesitate about the masters though for the reasons the previous poster mentioned.

8. Padfoot103

Padfoot103 Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

I was a part time TA in a reading classroom and now I am probably going to be their perm. sub this year (have to meet with the superintendent at the end of this month before I'm officially hired). But part time is a great way to get yourself into the district, you'll meet everyone and really get to know the school. Plus, you will have time to complete your masters.

As far as if it's beneficial to have a masters, I guess depends on who you ask. Some people say no because schools don't want to pay you more, but others say it looks good especially since you do have experience as well. I live in New York where a Masters is required so to me it's good to have :)

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2009

That job sounds like a great opportunity for you! Some districts like master's degrees and some don't, so I would look at the districts around you and see what the highest degrees are of the people they hire and decide from that information. Good luck!