Part-time Job

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TonyBalonga, May 21, 2016.

1. TonyBalonga

TonyBalonga Rookie

May 21, 2016

The original post has been deleted. I am updating it - totally re-writing it.
    Are all part-time jobs this way, or for this reason? I have had a part-time job for almost a year now. Recently I figured out one of the reasons I am there is so the full-timers don't have to work over-time and get over-time pay. Recently, I was told no one ever gets over-time pay in this business. But there is a problem. Somehow the full-timers get to goof-off, not just a little, but a lot! What they don't get done I do. While I was basically hired for about 24 hours a week, often times I work many more sometimes up to 30 hours. Often times the supervisor tells me to do a job that a full-timer would do if he or she wasn't goofing off! I don't get it. One full-timer boasted, laughing to another, "It's an 8 hour job, but there's only 2 hours of work to do!" Yet these same full-timers will often say they can't do this or that because they don't have time to do it. I am literally running and sweating to get my regular routine done and the extra work that the full-timers don't do. During an eight hour shift, I don't get time to take the break that I am supposed to take.
    I am a minority, 67 years old and I am so surprised. I have heard that most companies no longer hire full-time workers. Is this the way it is all over the place now days?

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 22, 2016

Huh?

4. ABC123

ABC123 Companion

May 22, 2016

:eek:

5. bros

bros Phenom

May 23, 2016

I read this last night and had the same response, but I thought it was just because I was tired.

Glad to know it wasn't just me

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 23, 2016

:anyone:

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 23, 2016

Your choice would be to leave for a better job, or keep this job and continue to feel under appreciated.

8. TonyBalonga

TonyBalonga Rookie

May 23, 2016

I have updated it - completely rewrote it. I should say that so replies don't look so disconnected. I was very tired when I first wrote it - actually dozing while writing it the first time. But I wonder about jobs out there now days.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 23, 2016

You're evidently a hard worker...and need the money. Either continue in this position and stop comparing your work ethic to others, or find another position you feel is more equitable.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 25, 2016

The OP seems to be venting about a part time job-he has interacted on other threads about teaching matters.
    This thread happens to be on the Teacher Time Out forum, on which a whole lot of topics other than those 'teachers and everything education related' are posted.

swansong1 likes this.
  11. TonyBalonga

TonyBalonga Rookie

Jun 3, 2016

It had happened. Worked out great. The business got spied on by some inspectors. One of the spies asked me to do something perfectly. I explained it was not my job and the only reason I did it was because someone else asked me. My answer wasn't good enough, and so then I said I didn't have time to do it perfectly, only had time to do the hard part and the regular full-timer should be by later to finish it up. Still my reply did not seem good enough. I responded by saying that I would not help anymore. In the back of my mind I was saying to myself, looks like I will be out looking for a better job.
    The next day the boss talked to me - said he got a call from the inspection spy. This opened up some dialogue that shed light on what's going on. It felt like a win for me.
    So I worked hard for almost 7 months until I realized how things worked. Then I became pretty angry though I kept working. Now, finally the ball is in the manager's court. It will be interesting to see how he deals with it. I think other employees are watching now. I have a feeling I might not have to find another job.

12. TonyBalonga

TonyBalonga Rookie

Jun 4, 2016

This past week I got called in to work one day after I was scheduled to work during a weekday. So I actually had two week days in a row - Wednesday and Thursday. Thursday was so easy. Why? First of all, both days I had to work for the same full-timer meaning the same area (not two different areas), and on Wednesday I got things all completed, in order and caught up. Even though the full-time Thursday day timer didn't do everything all I had to do was to complete the day timer's job and then my own. It was much like my Sunday's. I usually work one week day in some area, and then Saturday and Sunday and Sunday is most always the same area that I had Saturday. Usually it is my one week-day and Saturday that are the toughest because I have to complete so much work that wasn't done by the full-timers on the previous day(s).
    Finally, I should say that usually the day-timers are adults, but sometimes they are children (18 I think). I can tell you that I probably would not be writing all this if all were children - because I would not be so mad - I would realize they might have an excuse.
    Thanks for listening. Recent events have made me realize what's really been going on. Recently some others have gotten to know me enough to be-friend me and explain what's been going on - things I didn't realize. Before, I just worked and never really had time to talk to anyone. I feel a bit better verbalizing these realizations - getting this off my chest, I guess you call it. And also, I had to wonder if it was common for part-timers to be used and treated unfairly. I have heard that more and more companies only hire part-time workers, but if it is just to make life easy for the full-timers, seems maddening and it needs to be discussed.
    So now I expect, as we have learned in teaching, that improved communications will lead to significant cooperation between the team and the supervisors.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2016

I am totally confused.

czacza likes this.
  14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2016

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

czacza likes this.
  15. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 4, 2016

Better than a mystery novel.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 5, 2016

I think we are either his diary

or we are dropped into the middle of the story without any point of reference and we'll have a flashback later to make everything make sense

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2016

I vote for the flashback...

18. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jun 18, 2016

Last edited: May 28, 2017