Part Time Job?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by TeacherC, Jul 18, 2005.

1. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2005

I was just wondering if any of you teachers have a part time job... I was subbing last year, and hopefully I will get a real job for this upcoming year (keeping my fingers crossed!) However, during the summer, I haven't been working at all, and I feel bad not "contributing" to our income. My poor hubby has to pay for everything! I keep thinking that maybe I should be working part time, but then if I get hired in a month, I would have to quit.
    *Sigh* Any advice? :(

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2005

Can you hold out just a couple more months? If you feel horrible about not contributing ( I was once in the same position), can you get a night job or even tutor? Do you have Sylvan where you are? Somewhere where you can work part-time, build your resume' and it won't be awful if you quit in a couple of months...If you can, it might be better to wait and put all your energies into finding a full-time teaching job!

4. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 19, 2005

I have been doing some landscaping work. In this area, there is no shortage and it could keep you busy all summer. My parents are established in this, so I have been working with them.

5. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 19, 2005

I have an at home business that I do part time in the evenings and more full time in the summer. It is great for me because I can do it around my kids and don't have to pay for day care for 3 months.

6. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 19, 2005

I've worked for Sylvan part time for the last 13 years--longer than I've been teaching. I love it!!! You can even teach online classes :)

7. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

Jul 19, 2005

I also teach at Sylvan part-time. I love it! Best part-time job I've ever had. It's so rewarding too....and a very positive and exciting place to work. :D

8. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Jul 19, 2005

I have a part-time job too- It is at a local trucking company taking accidents or reporting the weather over their computer. They are very understanding and let me make copies there and work on grading papers and things like this.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2005

Thanks for all your input! I think I'll look into Sylvan...that seems like the best bet. However, I'm keeping my eyes open for anything...working at a craft store or a book store would be nice too! :) :thanks:

10. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 21, 2005

Ditto to the Sylvan idea! I've worked there for almost 2 years now, ever since DH went back to finish his degree. LOVE IT!

11. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Jul 21, 2005

I also do not have a full time job and I have been subbing and I had a part time intervention job last year. I got a part time job at a teacher supply store and it's the best job ever! (Well, as far as retail jobs go) My manager is very understanding of my schedule (While I was subbing she would schedule me ?-close and I could come in during the early afternoon if I wasn't subbing that day or late afternoon if I was) Plus -- I get discounts! I know that there aren't a lot of those stores but if you live near one, you should definitely apply! They love having people working there who understand their products! :)

12. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2005

Well, I checked out Sylvan, and it doesn't look like they have openings in my area, but I'm on their email list in case anything comes up. Miss Steele, I would love to work at a teacher supply store! We do have one in the area, but their "Help Wanted" sign was just taken down this week. I think I might check in again in September though... Thanks to everyonefor all the suggestions!!

13. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 22, 2005

FYI, about Sylvan--this is our slow time of year. Many kids leave at the end of the summer and enrollment doesn't usually pick up until September. Definitely keep them in mind, I think it is the best. I'm in charge of training at my Sylvan and I just had one of my teachers tell me that she feels some days like she should be paying me to teacher--it is such a relaxing atmosphere to do what you do best.