part time job

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by 1st-yr-teacher, Jan 5, 2010.

1. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jan 5, 2010

Does anyone here have a part time job outside of teaching? I am thinking that I may have to get one. I am wondering how to go about it. I wish I didn't need to get one though :(. I work hard through out the week, some evenings, and even some weekends.

It has been a while since job hunting and even then it was narrowed to teaching. Any suggestions? TIA

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 5, 2010

When I had a teaching job...I worked both at school and car dealership as receptionist. School from 7:30-3:20 and dealership from 6-9.
    It was good b/c I could do school stuff at the car place. You can try and find something like that...but might be difficult in this economy.

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 5, 2010

You can always tutor on your own or if you're having problems finding students, then you can call a local tutoring company. It depends on how much you need/want to work but you can also look into restaurant work if you want tips and have a lot of energy! Check out the part-time jobs on Craigslist and see what works for you. Good luck =)

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 5, 2010

I work once a week as a hostess on the weekends. It doesn't help much, but it's gas money. I'd work more, but I'm taking a grad class too.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2010

One of my friends worked a retail job for years. She lived in a big city, and she taught school in a nearby smaller community. On weekend, summers, and vacation days she worked in a department store in the mall in the city. Not only did she like the job, she also got an employee discount that she used to built an awesome teaching wardrobe!

One of my former co-workers works weekends and holidays at the hospital. She's an RN for the local hospital ER.

7. MsT

MsT Rookie

Jan 5, 2010

Are there any teacher supply stores in your area? I was able to work at one during the holidays and it was very nice! This store was also a Christian supply store and was closed on Sundays, which allowed me to have one full day off. Good luck on your job hunt!

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2010

When I first started teaching, I had a part time job. I worked at Hallmark, which was the job I had in college. My boss there was very cool and knew that I had a career type job and that the retail job was not my first priority. I could basically get away with murder because I was one of the best workers, but they knew I didn't NEED to be there, so I pretty much got first pick at hours, etc. lol. However, they loved to give me Friday nights because I could handle all the teens that always were in the mall that night. Just what I wanted after teaching all day!

I also taught night school for my district, which was pretty rewarding over all but made for a looooong day.

If you live in a college town you could see if they have a writing center or tutoring for whatever subject you are good at. You could post to edit papers. A lot of non-English majors need help with paper writing, if you are good at it.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 5, 2010

I have been trying to get a job at this local teacher supply store for ages but they're never hiring! I check at least once a week LOL Right now I just took a PT about 10 hours a week at a clothing store. It definitely pays for gas money which helps.

10. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Jan 5, 2010

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2010

Like ST, I worked at a car dealership. (Ironically we also had the same school hours! 7:30-3:20- so weird!) I worked from 5-9 at the dealership and on weekends as well. I LOVED it because I could do all of my grading, plus some planning there. It was WONDERFUL! However, due to the crappy economy, they eliminated all receptionists and added our duties to the service cashiers. Bye-bye job :( :( :(
    I now work PT at Michaels (the craft store). I HATE it, but it is money. Before Christmas, I was working crazy hours like 4:30-midnight (one week I had to do that every single weekday :eek: That was rough). Now that Christmas is over, I work Sat and Sun (middle of the day usually- like 11-5 so I can sleep in a bit) and 2 nights a week from 5-9:30.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 6, 2010

If I had a 2nd job, I'd want something totally non-teaching related, such as clerical or hospitality-related. I wouldn't want to have to return to retail, but I guess if I had to, I would.

During my earlier subbing yrs, I also worked as a customer service phone rep for Citigroup & for a very short time much later, I worked at a convention center.

Working at a bookstore would probably be OK.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 6, 2010

I worked in an alcohol and drug treatment center part time. It was great for studying, as I just supervised the residents and sat in the office.

We went to a concert the other night, and some of the ushers sat and read books during the show. That would be a good second job.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2010

I also know people who take tickets, etc. for a local theater. There is a group of people I used to work with that is into it because they get free tickets.

I also had a co-worker who worked for one of the textbook companies. They would give her the chapters and she would align the standards for our state with them.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2010

I've done a lot of freelance writing over the years-- anything from parenting and education and decorating articles to work on the math section of an education website and work on a math textbook.

When I was saving for my wedding, I went back to waitressing.

And I've always been able to make some extra money tutoring.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 6, 2010

I'd love to write a book someday. Just think to see MY book sold in boookstores!

And separate from that, I'd love to write a series of childrens' books & my BF could be the illustrator!

Anyone know how to get started w/ writing & getting one's book published? :)

17. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jan 6, 2010

I waitress as a part time job on top of my teaching hours. They're really flexible with me there, but I think I may be done soon because I'm 4 1/2 months pregnant. Waitressing is hard enough on the body much less a pregnant one.

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 6, 2010

I've been contemplating a 2nd job lately, too, but I'm worried because I'm starting my masters in the fall and I might switch grade levels next year. I also love my weekends. BUT I'm so gosh darn broke!!!

I would probably work in the teacher store here...I wouldn't want to do a big retail place or waitressing. Been there, done that, and HATED it!

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 6, 2010

The last time I worked weekends was March 2006 & I hope I never have to again!